How do you... (Read 1303 times)

YES! Good for kid stains, too...catsup, mustard, grass...
    Yup, I even put a new black shirt in with my whites by mistake and ended up with a load of grey ( Undecided). I took out the black shirt and ran the whites again with OxiClean and it returned my whites to white! Looooove that stuff Big grin
      This stuff:
      I use this too. I only wear my stuff 1x then hang it up after I'm done so it dries. Once I have enough for a load, I fill up the machine with ALL and Oxiclean, spin it around so everything's soaked and let it set for at least a few hours, but usually overnight. I go in there every once in awhile and turn the washer on to stir things up again. This seems to work. If I don't let it sit, then there's still a smell afterward. No special sports wash or anything, just a little extra time! MTA: I don't dry mine either...just hang them up after they're washed!
        I wash all tech clothes in woolite in cold on the gentle cycle and hang to dry. I think putting them in the dryer is what makes them stink. Baked on residual oils. Its like a stain...dont set it.
        This is interesting. I hang it up most of the time and dry it on low the rest of the time. I'll try and hang it up all the time. It's not as if it takes long to dry anyway.
        Brandon

ultramarathon/triathlete

The key is pretending you don't care. -so fresh and so clean, clean-
          glad someone got that. Also, if you smelled the clothes in question, you'd agree it would take more than pretending not to care. To say they stink is an understatement Dead

HTFU?  Why not!

USATF Coach

Empire Tri Club Coach
          Gatorade Endurance Team

ultramarathon/triathlete

Based on these responses, I'm going out to find some oxyclean tonight to give it a try. Thanks everyone!!

HTFU?  Why not!

USATF Coach

Empire Tri Club Coach
            Gatorade Endurance Team

A Saucy Wench

This is interesting. I hang it up most of the time and dry it on low the rest of the time. I'll try and hang it up all the time. It's not as if it takes long to dry anyway.
              I noted when I did a load yesterday that the other thing I do is use more water than the load size calls for and even though I do a delicate cycle, I do an " super heavy duty" cycle- which just means it agitates for a longer time.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

Jill_B

I fly.

I use tide and NEVER, EVER put them in the dryer. Like others posted, it sets the odor.

Bring it on.

Misinformation Officer

Ditto the oxiclean for the super-stink. Penguin Sports wash--usually orange bottle--works MUCH better than "Win" for restoring the tech factor to tech running clothes. I found Win to be useless--and was really ticked due to the $$$.
                  otodawD

I've had the tech shirt smelly problem too. When I looked it up once the tech shirt guy recommended to tumble dry on very low without fabric conditioners. It worked wonders on my old stuff, but buying new shirts did too. I'll give the oxycleana try too. Big grin
                    seeEricaRun

Awesome

ultramarathon/triathlete

Ditto the oxiclean for the super-stink. Penguin Sports wash--usually orange bottle--works MUCH better than "Win" for restoring the tech factor to tech running clothes. I found Win to be useless--and was really ticked due to the $$$.
                        wow, thanks for the advice. I'm feelin WIN was a waste of money too. I'll look for Penguin. WHERE DO I BUY OXYCLEAN? I always thought of it as one of those As Seen On TV products. I've never looked for it before in the store. Anyone in NYC out there that knows where to pick this stuff up?

HTFU?  Why not!

USATF Coach

Empire Tri Club Coach
                        Gatorade Endurance Team

A Saucy Wench

Oxyclean? Really, I find it in every mainstream grocery out here. Safeway, Albertsons, all of them carry it in one form or another. I've never used it on my workout clothes, but nothing takes out baby poop like oxyclean. I verified after my humid long run that my very oldest tech shirt does not stink. After my run my SKIN smelled, but my shirt did not. dh looked at me weird as I sniffed my arm and then sniffed my shirt near the pit. I told him it was a running thing and he wouldnt understand. Roll eyes

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

ultramarathon/triathlete

I found oxyclean at my bodega last night. Guess I've just never seen it since I've never looked for it. I now own a small tub of the stuff and will try it tonight. Yesterday I did a load (before buying the oxylcean) and even let it soak. I used WIN since I still have a bottle of it. I hung my clothes to dry (as usual). Smelled them this morning and they still have a fait smell. Not like a nasty smell, but the kind of used clothing small that will become nasty after I run for even just a mile in it. Also, just to clairify, I don't sweat much and generally don't smell bad either (so I'm told, or rather NOT told that I smell). It's just the clothes are starting to get funky fast. Hopefully oxyclean will do the trick.

HTFU?  Why not!

USATF Coach

Empire Tri Club Coach
                            Gatorade Endurance Team

I let mine soak in water with a little vinegar and then wash. My daughter went to camp and left her wet towels in her bag with her clothes and it removed the soured smell from them.

ultramarathon/triathlete

Tried the oxylcean last night and let things soak for a while in it before washing. So far, seems to have worked but I've yet to go on a run today so we'll see...

HTFU?  Why not!

USATF Coach

Empire Tri Club Coach
                                Gatorade Endurance Team