Why I might buy a Lexus someday (Read 819 times)

xor

My sister and parents (82 year old dad in poor health, 74 year old step mom, 56 year old sister) were driving down I-35 in Dallas on Saturday in my mom's "moon patrol" lexus.  Probably about 65 mph. My sister is a rule follower.

Two cars racing came through.  Not rule followers. One rear-ended my mom's car.

Mom recalls it "rolling at least 3 or 4 times".  It came to rest upside down.  The car, which really became an out-of-control instrument of devastation, managed to not hit anyone else.

Good samaritans helped pull my family out of the car.  My mom and 82 year old dad are a little bruised, but walked away.  My sister spent the night in the hospital but is home now.

It rolled repeatedly and landed upside down.  And look at 'the room to live' there. It did not crush.

Ugh.

Thank goodness for lots and lots of things, including a very well engineered vehicle.  And for good fortune: they almost drove the parents' other car. Which is a convertible.

(Oh, the freeway was closed for several hours.  So if you were in a traffic jam on I35 Saturday afternoon, sorry.  They caught one of the two guys and hauled his ass away in cuffs.  The other dude drove away but folks got his plates and the cops know where to find him)

Wing

Joggaholic

Glad to hear your family is ok!

Imminent Catastrophe

Holy crap. Glad it turned out OK.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

Slo

Yes, Very glad to hear everyone is alright.

I hope the other drivers get what they deserve.

Very impressive how the car held up.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Holy crap. Glad it turned out OK.

This.

Dude.

Did the rule unfollowers get caught?

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Wow...sobering.  That could have ended so badly.  Racer boys who pull stuff like that should be charged with attempted murder, since that's essentially the crime they committed.  I'm glad your family fared OK.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

HermosaBoy

Glad that your family made it through it!!!  

Very scary...

And you can quote me as saying I was mis-quoted. Groucho Marx

Rob

xor

This.

Dude.

Did the rule unfollowers get caught?

As noted in the post, one did.  The other drove away, but the cops know his license plate number. He will be found.

xor

In one of those "oooooo, weird" coincidences....

At the exact same time as their accident, I was driving on a highway in the Seattle area.  I never saw the rock, but I heard it hit the windshield.  Which proceeded to spiderweb all the way across in many directions.  GAH.

Actually, looking at the impact, it really looks like someone took a shot at me.  But I'm being dramatic; I don't actually believe it.  Must have been an oddly shaped rock that got me juuuust right.  I've been hit by many rocks, and they don't usually look like that.

Imminent Catastrophe

This is precisely why Rocket Propelled Grenades should be legal.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

Prince of Fatness

It seems stupid to say that your family is fortunate considering that they were rear ended by an ass clown at a high rate of speed, but they are.

Glad everyone is OK.

Not at it at all. 

You'll ruin your knees!

Wow!  So glad it turned out as well as it did!  Driving down here is always an adventure...

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)

Best Present Ever

Oh my.  I am so glad they are ok.  Amazingly good luck.  We had an accident like that here where I live on Thursday.  On of the people in the car that was rear ended died (He was the Washington bureau chief for the Economist).  The driver and another passenger were seriously hurt.  All had on seat belts according to the news.  

wow, glad your family members will be okay.

Yes, great testimony for Lexus'!!!

kcam

So glad to hear your parents and sister were so well-protected in that car and were for the most part uninjured.  Walking away from a multi-rollover accident is fortunate.

When I sold my pickup and bought a small SUV (Forester) I made sure it was highly rated for safety factors.  You can find safety ratings (including roof crush ratings) on this website:

http://www.iihs.org/ratings/default.aspx

Surprisingly to me, not all Lexus cars are highly rated and some are rated 'P'oor in certain aspects.  My wife drives an '03 Lexus LS430 which, I thought, is a big, safe car but it is only rated as 'M'arginal in rear-end impacts.  When we get our next car I will make sure it is as safe as possible.