What would YOUR ideal "intermediate" marathon training plan include? (Read 830 times)

I'm running my 3rd marathon this October. In 2006 I used HH's novice plan and it got me prepared to finish the race in 3:38. In 2007 I used the Runners World Intermediate plan. I chose it because I wanted to try some more intervals and tempo runs. Some painful arches killed my time and I finished in 3:31 when I was on pace to go 3:25-3:27. This season I'm doing PP's 24/55 plan. I bought 2 of his books, Advanced Marathoning and Road Racing for Serious Runners. Both have been excellent. In fact I just used a plan from the second book to run a PR in the HM in 1:35. There's a lot of great info in each book. It goes into all aspects of training and even into how to warmup. He always explains WHY you're doing each type of workout which has been very helpful as I'm trying to take my running into BQ territory. When I'm not training for anything I sit in the 20-25 mpw range. The most I've ever run in a week is 49. I considered the PP 18/55 plan last year, but I knew I didnt have the legs to handle going all the way up to 55 so early when the most I had every run in a week was 39 and that was in 4 days of running. I had only completed 2 runs of 20+ miles in my life before last summer and 1 was a marathon. I wanted my plan to have 3 20 mile runs, which the RW program did. This year I have the experience of running almost 50 miles and 5 days a week during marathon training last summer. I want to be able to get to the peak mileage sooner so I can handle more intense training later in the program. I have a better idea how to run tempo runs so they can be more effective. In the past, I ran them too fast or too slow.
    • # of weeks? • Days/week running? • # of 20 milers and how far into training? • >20 mile runs? • medium length runs...half distance of longest weekly run or more? • length of taper?
    I decided to try 24 weeks to get me to peak mileage earlier so I can do more intense training later in the summer. PP says 18 is good, and 24 should be used for special cases (BQ, for example) I only want to run 5 days per week. Family and work commitments require me to be flexible and the 2 days off help. Got to have 3+ 20 mile runs in order to make a good run at a fast time. I'm also going to include a 25k race 6 weeks before the marathon Last year I had mid-week runs of up to 14 miles which included tempo intervals (4x2mi). Running only 5 days allows me to handle longer midweek runs. Taper of 3 weeks has worked well for me.
    PRs 2 mile: 12:30 7/07 5k: 19:39 8/08 10k: 44:12 5/07 HalfM: 1:35:06 2/08 25k: 1:57:30 9/08 Mar: 3:19:07 10/08
    zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

My plan would include an H, a T, an F, and a U.
      Well, duh! Roll eyes Wink

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Last year I had mid-week runs of up to 14 miles which included tempo intervals (4x2mi). Running only 5 days allows me to handle longer midweek runs.
        I have a feeling that this would be true for me, as well. I just ran the last 4 days in a row and my legs are feelin' a bit beat up.

~ Sarah Kay

JakeKnight

My "ideal" intermediate training plan would involve Paula Radcliffe pacing me and Jessica Alba waiting at the finish to give me a quick rubdown. And lots of beer. But that's probably not what you're looking for. One word: hills. Lots and lots of them. All of my long runs and plenty of not-so-long runs are all done on Trent's marathon course. Which means a couple thousand feet of elevation change on some training runs. I'm convinced running all those hills turned out to be far more helpful than any speed work I'd done, and made marathon distance runs feel much more comfortable. My legs feel strong at mile 24 now - a year ago they were jello. I think the hills help on flat courses, too, and they sure help if your race is hilly. Nowadays I laugh out loud when people call the other Nashville marathon "hilly."

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
          -----------------------------

Scout7

The fewer runs per week = the longer the prep time. If you're doing 5 runs a week, I'd say a good length would be 18 weeks. You need intervals like you need a hole in your head. For your first marathon, the goal should be to finish. Time goals are great, and you should have one of those, but you want to focus first on getting to the start line healthy and ready to run, and then focus on finishing. Length of runs is tricky. Some people say you need to really get used to the distance, so they recommend runs of over 25 miles (Galloway suggests this). Personally, I've never done more than 20 or so, and not even that many. 18-20 is a sweet spot for most. The longer you spend at 45-55 mpw, the better you'll feel come race day. Hills are good. Real good. They build strength, work your stride length and your turnover. Very important. Good description of hill workouts. Biggest thing that you're gonna deal with is your head. Some runs will suck. But you keep going. The callousing effect of those miles aren't just for your feet. You will learn to live with the pain of running.
              • # of weeks? • Days/week running? • # of 20 milers and how far into training? • >20 mile runs? • medium length runs...half distance of longest weekly run or more? • length of taper?
              Lots of good advice in the previous posts. Here is my input (coming from a pftiz proponent fwiw): * 18 weeks works best for me, 24 weeks of a single goal is tough mentally since that's almost 6 months with a single goal. For me I would rather use the 6 weeks for either base-building or to focus on a 5-25k race * the more the merrier, based upon your mileage goals 5 should work nicely with adding in a 6th day occasionially * 3 20 milers should work over a 18 week plan * 20+mile runs are optional * mid-week medium distance runs will make the 26.2 a must more enjoyable experience ... i think that the 10-14ish range is right based upon long runs of 15-20miles, so I guess that's closer to 75% * taper ... 3 weeks is plenty, 2 would work, but 4 weeks is too long Hope that helps and good luck in Milw this fall!
                You need intervals like you need a hole in your head. For your first marathon, the goal should be to finish. Time goals are great, and you should have one of those, but you want to focus first on getting to the start line healthy and ready to run, and then focus on finishing.
                Amen to this. I added intervals for my second marathon when I had a better base and a more definied time goal. The first marathon is nice to get to the starting line healthy and in decent enough shape to handle the race and learn as much as you can for future attempts.
                PRs 2 mile: 12:30 7/07 5k: 19:39 8/08 10k: 44:12 5/07 HalfM: 1:35:06 2/08 25k: 1:57:30 9/08 Mar: 3:19:07 10/08
                zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Thanks, everyone. Hills, tempo runs, and fartleks are already my favorite sorts of speed/strength training, so I think I will probably concentrate on those things for this first race. After that I'll probably want to structure my training more. k

~ Sarah Kay

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

You need intervals like you need a hole in your head. For your first marathon, the goal should be to finish. Time goals are great, and you should have one of those, but you want to focus first on getting to the start line healthy and ready to run, and then focus on finishing.
                    You are correct, sir! ZZ, just do what you've been doing, and carefully increase the miles, and you'll do great!

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

Hi Kirsten Your mileage looks fantastic for the stage where you're at. I'm in a similar sort of position to you and will be doing the following for what its worth: - currently on week 7 of a 12 week LHR MAF base building period - this finishes with a just under 10mile race - followed by a 14 week race focus period, so total prep of 26 weeks but thats a bit over the top really, only doing it because I wanted a MAF base before hand - running 5 times a week, really need at least one week night and one weekend day to spend with the better half, plus i find it really refreshing to have those breaks - Long weekend run, mid-length mid week run, speed session, recovery run and one other shorter mid distance run (currently LHR, most likely stay that way with a bit of fartlek or increased speed throughout after MAF finishes) - Currently long run of ~12.5 mile, my plan has me doing 4-5 runs between 18.5 miles and 21 miles - weekly distance building up to ~50 mile p/w - first long run around 20 mile comes in week 18 of my 26 week schedule - i'm been rather cautious with my build up in distance to avoid injury Marathon goal time is to break 3:30. Hope that's some help Hank

Just running for the fun of it!

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Hank, looks like your training will be fairly similar to mine. I am doing ~10 weeks of build-up to a 25k and plan to get up to ~40 mpw for that. Then I will have a couple of easier weeks before I start in with the marathon training. So I'll be interested to see how your progression and 5 day training schedule treats you.

~ Sarah Kay