So what would your evaluation of this running technique be? (Read 1412 times)

Lane

4: Mother Nature's survival Olympics has been perfecting running and movement skill for millions of years. If it doesn't work, it doesn't survive. That the DNA of T-Rex is 98% of what we call an Ostrich, isn't a fluke, its perfection to survive and adapt to the environment. 

I share 50% of my DNA with a banana, proof that bananas know more about running than you.

After all, they have so far been winning the survival Olympics.

JimR

4: That the DNA of T-Rex is 98% of what we call an Ostrich

Some stuff you need to read.

About genetic sequence matching and what % match means:

http://www.ornl.gov/sci/techresources/Human_Genome/faq/compgen.shtml#stubbs

About ancient DNA:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ancient_DNA

sport jester

Biomimeticist

Soft tissue is as accurate as you can get....

Soft tissue of a 60 million year old T-Rex was found years ago...

Experts said the world is flat

Experts said that man would never fly

Experts said we'd never go to the moon

Name me one of those "experts"...

History never remembers the name of experts; just the innovators who had the guts to challenge and prove the "experts" wrong

Feeling the growl again

Now SJ is a geneticist.  I'll await the posting of a link to the complete sequence of T Rex DNA.

Humans and chimps are ~98% homologous, we we are very different animals adapted to different purposes.  Anyone with a basic understanding of genetics knows that it only takes the changes of a few base pairs.....a fraction of a fraction of a % homology...to lead to a dramatic difference in form and function.

In other words, 98% sequence homology really isn't very high.

Good to know that by SJ's logic I can climb a tree as fast and easy as a chimp.  

MTA:  Also good to know that they found a T Rex from 5 million years AFTER dinosaurs became extinct.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

3: Mother Nature has two classes of athletes; predator and prey. Humans in the grand scheme of thing are prey. Prey move to remain stable and upright, while predators run and move with optimum maneuverability. Your perspective to bodyweight impact forces are based upon our history of being prey. I teach Predator movement skills, and with that, the biomechanic advantages are just what I've posted. Less than bodyweight impact forces are easy to achieve.

C'mon now, man.  You can't make things up just to fit your theories.  Well, I guess you can, but I'm not buying it.  Mother nature doesn't have classes of athletes.  Some of the most amazing athletes in nature fall prey to a predator, and predators fall prey to other predators, too. 

Humans are not prey simply because they can't run as fast as something else.  They have brains.  That's why I think some of your comments are so ironic. 

There are far too many other factors to consider for you to reduce things down to this minimal level, yet you continually do it.

You still haven't answered the question to your famous photo.  What happens after that fourth and fifth footprint?

There was a point in my life when I ran. Now, I just run.

We are always running for the thrill of it

Always pushing up the hill, searching for the thrill of it

Turbolegs

SJ - Your point 3 still doesnt answer my question (from a Physics standpoint atleast). If you can run with a foot fall that has an impact of only 70% of your body weight, what happens to the remaining 30% - where does that go?

I can step over my weighing machine and step off as i go through a stride/hop and register something like 5kgs on the scale whereas my body weight is 72kgs but i wont be able to do it in repeated motion. And before i would admit that its my inability to do what you are saying successfully, i would like to understand the scientific rationale to what you are saying i.e. how can you consistently register less than your body weight when you are running/walking etc. In my mind, it amounts to levitation.

I dont sweat. I ooze liquid awesome.

Turbolegs

Anyone with a basic understanding of genetics knows that it only takes the changes of a few base pairs.....a fraction of a fraction of a % homology...to lead to a dramatic difference in form and function.

This right here is actually why genetics is so incredible. Some of the rare abnormalities in physical/physiological conditions in humans is the resultant of an extremely "minor" switch in the dna sequencing but the effect is just unbelivable.

At a slightly higher level, one chromosome pair difference is all it takes to be born a boy or a girl.

I dont sweat. I ooze liquid awesome.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

C'mon now, man.  You can't make things up just to fit your theories. 

Methinks you're wrong.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Methinks you're wrong.

"Methinks"? Are you making up words now, AP?

There was a point in my life when I ran. Now, I just run.

We are always running for the thrill of it

Always pushing up the hill, searching for the thrill of it

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

It's a relatively new word. You gotta get up with the times.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Here is a video showing dinosaurs walking and running. Observe their footfall pattern: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ddfz0WHDjhY

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Here's another good dinosaur video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W6jDJhhh7y8

Dragging genetics into a conversation about running is just stupid.  Really, I thought even SJ would know better than this. 

Sure SJ, let's talk about why Kenyans are dominating marathons right now.  Please explain this to me.  Please explain why there is no difference in form when running a 100 meter vs marathon.  Please explain why ostriches could dominate over humans in the HURT 100 because of lack of arm swing.  

Hey wait, I just figured everything out.  Aliens are better night runners thus could win any 100 mile race in the Artic circle with no headlamps allowed because of their big frickin eyes!

Feeling the growl again

At a slightly higher level, one chromosome pair difference is all it takes to be born a boy or a girl.

Heck, that's a whole chromosome difference.  A difference of a base pair.....several ten/hundred of thousandths of times smaller....can make the difference of whether you are normal or have cystic fibrosis, muscular dystrophy, webbed fingers, sickle cell anemia, or a host of other major physical malformities.

Further, physical differences are often as much or more related to the regulation of expression than the difference in gene coding itself.  This can also be caused by very small changes in sequence.  Looking at % homology is an incredibly coarse and uninformative measure;  very large percentage of the DNA of any eukaryotic organism serves no known function in the coding of expression of regulation of any gene, making any differences in its sequence inconsequential.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

..  Looking at % homology is an incredibly coarse and uninformative measure;  very large percentage of the DNA of any eukaryotic organism serves no known function in the coding of expression of regulation of any gene, making any differences in its sequence inconsequential.

I think you mean, "apparently inconsequential".   It might actually make the difference of believing in racing like an ostrich....