Garmin imports now in metric instead of in miles (Read 148 times)

azorca

In my case, I run around 3-5 miles (it varies).  The total is in miles, but the splits are in Meters where they should be miles.  My autolap is set to 1 mile.

Interval 401.81 m 2:36.43 EditDelete
    Interval 1609 m 9:44.42 EditDeleteMove up
    Interval 1609 m 9:45.08 EditDeleteMove up
    Interval 1609 m 9:51.46 EditDeleteMove up
    Interval 1609 m 9:54.52 EditDeleteMove up
    Interval 356.69 m 2:09.11 EditDelete

Its nice to know 1609M = approimately a mile, but I would rather those shop up as miles.   I only hit lap once on this run (at the beginning which was a warmup).

Is there any fix pending?

Thanks for all you do Eric!

Andy

kcam

If I'm doing any kind of 'workout' I always manually lap the watch.  If I'm not doing a workout (just a maintenance run) I just get one big ole lap of whatever I ran (autolap  OFF).  These kind of runs, to me, are not important in terms of mile splits (and if I want to know them I can always go hit the Manual Laps button on the workout to get any split distance I want).

Almost all of my workouts where i care about splits involve reps shorter than a mile and these I always think of in terms of METERS and TIME (as opposed to MILES and PACE), which is why I like Eric's solution.  But whatever satisfies the most RA users, I'm down with!

Julia1971

FYI Eric Smile, I noticed some of my segments from today's run showed as yards.  I think they were workout segments that were 0.20 miles.  So, the fix isn't converting everything to meters.  (Imperial, forever!)

daisymae25

Squidward Bike Rider

This has been happening to me for at least a few weeks now.  I do run/walk intervals, so my splits are always less than a mile.  However, I prefer the old way of viewing the splits in miles.

cap3344

I like the suggest from Wing - give us the ability to convert the splits between M/KM/MI   - though I sympathize for potential tracksters (I used to me) who want Meters, To me, the profile says report in MILES and that's what we should get.  I ran 5.7 miles today, all my laps were reported in meters as was the total (9132 meters).

At least it's not me!  But I've been converted by hand, ultimately I want me splits to give me my "per mile" pace, since that's what I train/race to

FYI Eric Smile, I noticed some of my segments from today's run showed as yards.  I think they were workout segments that were 0.20 miles.  So, the fix isn't converting everything to meters.  (Imperial, forever!)

If it starts to record splits in furlongs or cubits, we should start to get worried.

Dave

cap3344

I agree!!

Hi Eric, I've never noticed a pace discrepancy with RA when it expressed everything in miles or decimals of miles, at least not anything significant enough to warrant changing everything to meters.  Strava measures my pace in laps even less accurately.  I would MUCH prefer to have things as they were, can you change it back to the way it used to be?  I really prefer using RA as my running log over Strava, and would like to continue to do so.  (I don't understand your proposal in the last sentence of your post, but if it means everything will be expressed in miles instead of meters by default, I'm fine with that.)  By the way, if people do want meters--and sometimes I do if we're running 600's or 1200's during a track workout--the log allows a user to change that just for individual splits.

Best,

Maggie

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Hi - just bumping this up again, as I would dearly love to have my Garmin uploading in miles, not meters. Smile

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

Magmason

Hi - just bumping this up again, as I would dearly love to have my Garmin uploading in miles, not meters. Smile

Me, too!  I ran some half-mile road repeats the other day, and this is what my log looked like.  Not useful to me, so now I have to go somewhere else--Strava, Garmin Connect, etc--to have a look at my splits.  I don't have time to do the math and manually convert the distance to a measure that makes sense to me for my running analytics.  I've always loved this running log and have been a faithful user for over 12 years, but now it doesn't feel right.

Also, it doesn't make sense to have a mix of miles and meters, and then the pace in miles.  Could we at least have it set up so the user has an option to use miles or meters?

TypeDistanceDuration

1 Interval 1 mi 9:47.48 

2 Interval 1 mi 8:59.34 

3 Interval 1 mi 9:03.98 

4 Interval 404.45 m 2:16.71 

5 Interval 814.17 m 3:42.40 

6 Interval 800.17 m 3:41.05

7 Interval 392.34 m 2:30.41

8 Interval 83.76 m 0:30.50

9 Interval 804.9 m 3:38.79

10 Interval 0 km 0:01.94

11 Interval 2.7 m 0:01.60

12 Interval 802.94 m 3:38.50

13 Interval 638.34 m 3:38.20

14 Interval 402.99 m 1:56.10

15 Interval 479.69 m 2:51.80

16 Interval 680.83 m 3:43.78

17 Interval 614.13 m 3:16.03

18 Interval 113.42 m 0:35.58

19 Interval 1016.47 m 5:28.83

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Also, it doesn't make sense to have a mix of miles and meters, and then the pace in miles.  Could we at least have it set up so the user has an option to use miles or meters?

Funny thing is - we do have the option of miles or meters (under "locale").  But I guess that option only goes to paces and total distance, not to intervals.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

Magmason

Funny thing is - we do have the option of miles or meters (under "locale").  But I guess that option only goes to paces and total distance, not to intervals.

Wait.  So if some track runners want to see everything in meters, they have that option?  Then why not just set it back to the way it used to be, and let those who prefer to see their splits in meters set their logs to metrics?  That seems like a solution that would work for everyone.

Magmason

Bump.  Eric, it seems like most people who have weighed in here prefer it the old way, to show segments in mile increments instead of meters.  Do you plan to change it back?  What are your thoughts?

Thanks,

Maggie

bblack

This generated quite a bit of discussion for something that is not that big of a deal.

darkwave

Mother of Cats

This generated quite a bit of discussion for something that is not that big of a deal.

It's not a huge deal, but it is an inconvenience that adds a few minutes to entering my runs in my log each day.  I'd put it in the same category as a traffic light that used to work well, but now has been retimed, so that it takes you two to three cycles of the lights to get through an intersection (where one cycle worked before).  Not a huge chunk out of my day but annoying all the same, since it's something that was working well and now is not.

An additional aspect to the frustration is that, as noted before, we have the option of selecting metric or imperial as the units for our log, but those of us who have chosen imperial are being pushed into metric anyway.

I'm not going to switch logs over it, because I'm not aware of anything else as good as RunningAhead right now. However, if an identical log came out that did allow me to upload in imperial, I'd switch in a heartbeat.

You realize this whole forum exists for the purpose of discussing things that are not that big of a deal.

Dave