Marathon World Record broken this weekend! (Read 781 times)

Go Pre!

In Berlin again of course. http://www.taipeitimes.com/News/sport/archives/2007/10/01/2003381270 And I was there to see the record for a Marathon on Canadian soil broken this weekend as well. http://www.torontowaterfrontmarathon.com/en/index.htm Dave

I honestly wasn't expecting him to break the record for another year or two, but I knew that he would sooner or later. Just goes to show how much I know...

Run to Win
      25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

Wow ... I can't imagine ... how long until the 2 hour barrier is broken, do you all think?
        2009: BQ?

Wow ... I can't imagine ... how long until the 2 hour barrier is broken, do you all think?
          8 years.

Run to Win

8 years.
            Is there some sort of formula?
            2009: BQ?

Go Pre!

Possibly never.

Why is it sideways?

8 years.
                You think Bekele will do it? I dunno. I think it will take longer than that. So, Blaine, you voted "no" at Letsrun? I voted "yes." Wink Geb's the man. For those without calculators, he ran 4:45 per mile. After mile. After mile. That's ~71s per 400m. Everyone should go out to the track tomorrow and run a lap in 71 seconds (if you can). Then imagine running 105 of them in a row.

Is there some sort of formula?
                  Yeah, I picked a random number out of my head. I was originally going to say 12, but I think it might be a little quicker than that. After all, the record was bested a year or two earlier than I thought that it would be... My hopes are that this spurs on some chases for the record, as opposed to just people going for a win. I could see the record falling by a couple of minutes in 2 or 3 years if people really tried. The problem, of course, is that there really is not a lot of incentive for running a world record. It is far easier and far safer and far more lucrative to try to win instead. Record chasing means that you will inevitably break and threaten your chances of getting even a win.

Run to Win

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

For those without calculators, he ran 4:45 per mile. After mile. After mile. That's ~71s per 400m.
                    I find it very humbling to think that when I was in my best shape (senior HS / frosh college), I could run that pace for one measly mile or so. At that point, I stop to dry heave and dude just does 25 more without a break. That is so sick. Shocked

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

Another Passion

"INCONCEIVABLE!" (As quoted from Vizzinni from "The Princess Bride") Shocked

Rick
                      "The will to win means nothing without the will to prepare." - Juma Ikangaa
                      "I wanna go fast." Ricky Bobby
                      runningforcassy.blogspot.com

Marquess of Utopia

I predict that the sub 2 hour marathon will be broke in 15 - 30 years.

Why is it sideways?

Here's a nice article on the 2 hour barrier.
                            Thought it was interesting Gebrselassie said he was sorry for breaking Tergat's record.

Team HTFU NCTR Driver

100+ years, I think. Last time I paid attention was when Carlos Lopes ran 2:07:12. So in almost 20 years, it's dropped less than 3 minutes, and I think a lot of that can be attributed to runners from East Africa becoming internationally prominent. Unless a whole new ethnic talent pool appears, gains are going to be smaller and smaller. There's just not a whole lot of room for improvement - we'd be looking for a once-every-millenium genetic freak to come along. Then again, I'm amazed at how the 5k and 10k track records have come down in the same time - Said Aouita was the last record holder I was aware of, and he was in the 12:55ish range in the 5k, IIRC. did