Sugar (Read 840 times)

zonykel

Serious question.... aside from sodium content, what's the nutritional difference between gatorade and a coke post-workout?

I don't know, but I remember reading about some folks drinking flat coke during ultras. Not sure if people still do that.

sugnim

Serious question.... aside from sodium content, what's the nutritional difference between gatorade and a coke post-workout?

A coke also contains caffeine and phosphorus.

xor

A coke also contains caffeine and phosphorus.

And carmel food coloring.  My question was really about post-race nutritional goodness/badness.  That much caffeine isn't going to bug me and I have absolutely no idea what phosphorus might be doing to me other than making me glow. And before you tell me that caffeine is a diuretic... that has been mostly debunked, especially for people attuned to caffeine.

As for cokes and ultras - YES.  And not always de-fizzed.  When I asked my question, it was because it was said by seilerts that he/she had given up soda but hit the gatorade post-workout.  Functionally, it seems to me that they'd serve similar purposes... hydration and simple carbs.

As for "twice the sugar", that's twice the goodness.  I chase it with some water.  Skygazer, I specifically said POST workout... and I suspect that gatorade makes you thirstier than coke.  Salt in gatorade is going to monkey with your thirst mechanism.

sugnim

And carmel food coloring.  My question was really about post-race nutritional goodness/badness.  That much caffeine isn't going to bug me and I have absolutely no idea what phosphorus might be doing to me other than making me glow. And before you tell me that caffeine is a diuretic... that has been mostly debunked, especially for people attuned to caffeine.

I think caffeine is nutritional goodness--it makes me feel good anyway.  And I also think that the body needs a certain amount of phosphorus to be healthy, so you may have some goodness there, but I'm just guessing.

skygazer

As for "twice the sugar", that's twice the goodness.  I chase it with some water.  Skygazer, I specifically said POST workout... and I suspect that gatorade makes you thirstier than coke.  Salt in gatorade is going to monkey with your thirst mechanism.

Sorry, I missed the post-workout part.

I crossed out thirst after realized what I meant to say and describe the situation more precisely.

I do realize the relation between salt and thirst (and hydration. you can get over hydrated and still feel thirsty). Coke also has salt, ~40% of that in gatorade. As I stated twice the sugar means it takes twice amount of the water to process. If you're already dehydrated, it doesn't help with the situation (your body use whatever water it can draw to function. Plus, there are a few body functions involved in the hydration balance.). Depends on the total amount of salt in your body vs sugar being processed (the amount of water drawn to process the sugar), you can feel more thirsty in one of the situation than the other.

Better I Leave

I hate sugar...It's killing my mother. She's already lost a leg, is almost blind, and has lost all sensation in her extremities...and she's only 71 years old!!! I've just had to commit her to a skilled nursing facility. Three years ago, I was on that path too. Luckily, I had a doc who caught it, warned me, and gave me an opportunity to do something about it before he put me on more meds.

**goes back to reading Lustig's "Fat Chance"**

Not dead. Yet.

How can we know our limits if we don't test them?

Buelligan

I eliminated refined sugar from my household. There is some in foods I eat (peanut butter for instance) but I stopped adding it to stuff I eat or drink. I also don't drink juices for the most part. If in do, I'll water them down almost 10 to 1. I bet I haven't had more than 6 cokes in the last 10 years. Refined sugar is poison.
                  Christirei

Lots of peanut butter out there without added sugar Smile

Trent, thanks for sharing the M Pollan piece, that is one of my favorite books on nutrition that I have ever read. Great book, totally worth it if you have questions about the typical American diet and are looking for good solid reasons to change the way you eat

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants.

It's that middle one that I have a problem with.

Power Aid / Gatorade both make me more thirsty.

MTA:  They also give me a stomach ache for a short while

if drunk during a race.  Full sugar Coke doesn't.

steph  

Power Aid / Gatorade both make me more thirsty.

"Doctor - It hurts when I do this!"

"So don't do that..." Smile

If the furnace is hot enough, anything will burn.

Runners run

sugnim

If the furnace is hot enough, anything will burn.

True.  You could even put shit in the furnace, but then the house will stink.

tom1961

Old , Ugly and slow

When sugar is outlawed then only outlaws will have sugar.

first race sept 1977 last race sept 2007

2019  goals   1000  miles  , 190 pounds , deadlift 400 touch my toes