Mystery Muscle Strain Transitioning Into Knee Tickle/Tingling (Read 52 times)

Mr MattM

Before injury, I ramped up to 30-40 miles per week.

Cool.  That is about the minimum I would expect for someone to be in preparation for a marathon.  Many novice training plans build up to a peak week in the low 40s and that's often enough to get you through it.

If you are going to go through with this, you just have to be smart about it.  Avoid any setbacks.  The key now is to get to the start line healthy.

be curious; not judgmental

SMART Approach

Any recommendations for a modified training schedule assuming I can make it through the 5-mile run this Sunday (5/8) with no symptoms?

I had been training since January, and my longest LONG RUN was end of March (19 miles). My last LONG RUN attempt was 20-miles on 4/1 that ended earlier than I wanted to due to lack of proper nutrition (hit the wall at 16).

My injury occurred on 4/12.

The Buffalo Marathon is 5/29 (24 days away).

I also plan on going to PT several times from now until then just to ensure progress with strengthening my weakened left side of my body. I have the following "homework" rehab exercises to do 3 times a week: Sideplanks on Elbow | Clamshells | Sidelying Hip Abduction | Standard Plank | Side Stepping.

At this point I need all the help/tips/tricks I can get. I feel like finishing is a possibility, I just also need to work on gaining my confidence back as the end of May approaches.

There are really no significant gains you will obtain over next few weeks. Honestly, you just don't want to lose any further fitness....just running and time on your feet with keep you neuromuscular system sharp. Just get out there several times a week. If you get in a 12 miler in a couple weeks before this will be fine and practice your strategy and fueling this day as well. PT is good to do with strong hip/glute focus on feet. I just don't understand all the lying on floor stuff. Planks are fine for sure but clamshells useless. Unless you physically can't do stuff on your feet then most of rehab should be on your feet and one leg work. Shoot, just standing on one leg for 2-3 min is better than laying on floor doing clamshells IMHO.

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

earntodiessaz

Hello! I'm quite sure I've been to this lol beans but I'm not entirely sure. earlier, but after reading through some of the other postings, I understood that it was something I had never experienced before. Regardless, I am really delighted I came across it, and I have bookmarked it and will be coming back frequently!