Gu and Gas Pains? (Read 1132 times)

Scout7

I'm not Jeff, but when I was running long runs (15+ miles), I ran with a $5 bill in my pocket, and nothing else.  I run in an area with a lot of convenience stores.  That being said, I never used it, so pretty much water was all I ever had.  That worked for me.  I know other people who couldn't do that.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Energy gel not necessary on runs <90 mins.  Which i guess I don't really understand.

Most of the energy you use for runs was stored from food you ate hours before, not during the run.

mikeymike

Energy gel not necessary on runs <90 mins.  Which i guess I don't really understand.  How does one determine that cutoff.  and does 77 minutes of running with a jogging stroller (and baby) warrant a gu?

You determine the cutoff by how much glycogen your body can store and how much you will burn during your run.  Really rough numbers: most people have about 2000 calories of glycogen stored in their bloodstream and burn about 100 calories per mile--this is why a lot of people experience "the wall" at about the 20 mile mark in a marathon.  Even if the jogging stroller required an extra 25 calories per mile, you could go 16 miles.

So for someone who is not already somewhat depleted, the cutoff is much longer than 90 minutes.

That said if you want to take gu while running because it makes you feel more energetic or to practice for when you will need to in a marathon, there's nothing wrong with that.  Most people use Gu and similar gels precisely because they are easy to carry and easily digestible while running, but everyone's stomach is sensitive to different things, so it takes some experimentation to find what works before and during running.

Gu is my personal favorite brand of energy gels.  I use them very infrequently and even less so now that I've sworn off marathons, but my favorite and the ones that seemed to agree with my stomach the best were orange and tri-berry, though blueberry pomegranate Roctane worked too.  ymmv.

Runners run

Scout7

To add on to what Mikey said, the effort level you are running has an affect.  Run at a higher effort level, and you will burn a higher percentage of glycogen.  So, if you are running harder, you may finish feeling worse because of that.

L Train

I know if I wasn't drinking caffeine in the AM, which I assume you are not, I'd maybe have a tough time clearing everything out so to speak before I run.  I'd be in serious GI distress on nearly every run in that case.  Are you able to "go" before you run?

MTA: and while I don't doubt those that say you don't need it less than 16 miles or whatever, I have used it for shorter races, as short as 10 miles.  It may be a placebo but that's OK.  I just agree also with those that say the Gu is not the most likely problem.

I never really "need" anything more than water on my 2+ hour runs, but sometimes indulge myself with Gatorade if the temps are over 70.  However if planning to run a marathon maybe I need to find out if I can handle any gels/other food.  

On my only marathon I was fine with 1 GU at about mile 10 (might have been a different brand), but did not really feel like it made a difference.  I don't think I ran hard on that race, mitigating the need for additional calories.  I really struggled the last few miles, but GU was not the reason for that.

Why is it sideways?

Jeff -

What do you use for long run fueling, if anything?

I usually use the Roctane Gus, ha! But I don't usually eat anything unless I am running hard for more than 90 minutes, which is like 4 or 5 times a year in peak marathon training. Everyone has to figure out what works. I have a good friend who eats orange slices, and another one who cuts up peanut-butter and honey sandwiches. I have had trouble when I've tried to eat more than 3 gus in a racing situation.

I totally get the OP's bump after taking a Gu and wanting to take a Gu. They've done studies that show that the flavor of the Gu actually registers in your brain and wakes you up, so there is a real psychological effect there. I was just suggesting that she might try running without it and find that she doesn't really need it. (Though it might be nice at some points.)

Runningsteph117

Thanks for all the feedback everyone.  I'll give my long run this weekend a try without gu.  It likely is just a psychological bump.  

So, if you don't eat oatmeal or cereal before a run, what do you eat? and how much time do you wait?

Thanks for all the feedback everyone.  I'll give my long run this weekend a try without gu.  It likely is just a psychological bump.  

So, if you don't eat oatmeal or cereal before a run, what do you eat? and how much time do you wait?

I can eat a couple eggs and toast then be out the door in 15 minutes with no problem.  But, then, pizza before a run doesn't bother me either.  YMMV--wait until you feel right.

Before a normal morning run, I do wheat toast with PB+J.  Before a long run, I do wheat toast, couple eggs, and a banana. 

On the flip side, I have two friends who hate/can't stand eggs before a run!

"When a person trains once, nothing happens. When a person forces himself to do a thing a hundred or a thousand times, then he certainly has developed in more ways than physical. Is it raining? That doesn't matter. Am I tired? That doesn't matter, either. Then willpower will be no problem." 
                    Emil Zatopek

Lots of folks talk about their morning routines HERE.

Personally, I usually just have a cup of yogurt, a cup of coffee, and some water.  Then roll.  No problems on runs of 90-120 minutes.

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

sluggo

John

I feel the need to defend oatmeal. I generally have my longer runs on Sat and I eat oatmeal for breakfast EVERY day. One of my running partners once asked if I noticed anything different in my running when I ate different food for breakfast. I had to answer that I don't now, I always eat the same thing. (Sometimes I add sugar or maple syrup. I always cook it with raisins.)

Of course, lately, my longer run have way short of 10 mi. Another thought i to give yourself more time between breakfast and running. I never eat breakfast, or lunch if it is a late start, before a competitive run. I know of people who can, and sometimes do, eat a sandwich WHILE running.

So back to you. If oatmeal does not work, try something else.Happily, we are not all the same.

John
                        www.wickedrunningclub.com

In the beginning, the universe was created.This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

--- Douglas Adams, in "The Restaurant at the End of the Universe"

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

I feel the need to defend oatmeal.

I think oatmeal is generally quite benign.  Perhaps TeaOlive has an allergy to it.

That said, my preference is to run on an empty stomach; nothing sloshing around, diverting blood flow, etc.  YMMV.