Any one use c25k with youth groups ? (Read 664 times)

Hi all ,(put this question up on c25k group ,wingz sugested here also) .I am just finishing up my on c25k plan ,and would like to us it with my group of boy scouts. Wondering if anybody has used (or seen it used ) with youth groups .I'm used to teaching hiking /backpacking skills ,but running is new to me .Any pointers ? Thanks
    Ed4

Barefoot and happy

Are you a scout or an adult leader? If you're an adult, I have to give you the default answer first, which is: you shouldn't be planning the activities. The scouts should be planning the activities. Of course you can suggest it to your patrol leaders council, but unless they're genuinely excited and willing to take ownership of the idea, I don't think it will be fun or worthwhile. Being told to go running and choosing to go running are two very different things. Also, if your troop is anything like the one's I've worked with, there will be a very wide range in physical fitness, which is problematic. There are probably creative solutions to this problem, but it needs to be considered. I applaud your effort and I wish more scout leaders would pay attention to physical fitness (which is one of the three core goals of scouting). The biggest thing any parent or leader can do is present a good example.
      Curious about running barefoot? Visit the new barefoot running group.
      mgerwn

Hold the Mayo

I can see this being an especially useful program with Scouts in certain areas. For the Troop as a whole, as Ed4 said, the boys should be electing to do this, if you are a boy-run Troop. However, if you are Merit Badge Counselor for Physical Fitness Merit Badge, this would be an ideal program to present to the boys for them to follow to improve their times in the mile run. When I was MBC for this for my son's troop, we met every two weeks to evaluate their progress, and go through the discussion questions. Once a month we did a "checkup" on one or more aspects of their physical fitness improvements. Given that we live near a high school track, they always wanted to meet there and check their times in the mile run. Just a caveat - (puts on Scout Leader Training neckerchief) pushing them through it won't help them learn to do it on their own, which is the biggest thing they need to learn to do. Poking, reminding, a little gentle prodding, yes, but forcing them, no. They learn the most at that age by 1) teaching what they have learned to someone else and 2) failing, then being encouraged to try again, or continue trying. (removes Scout Leader Training neckerchief)
          Ed4 ,I'm about 40 years past being a scout ,but thanks anyways ! I know my spelling and grammer is Jr. high level though ! Yes ,I am all about boy lead acitivitys ,but this time I'm wearing my merit badge counciler hat. Because this is a merit badge required for Eagle Scout ,the boys do want to take it ,my hope is to light some interest in them for running (with possibly a real race at the end ) So it need not forced on them . I am currently An ASM ,but have done most leadership roles in the last (omg) 15 years . My co-counciler is a teacher/track coach . I have taught many skills but none have seemed more urgently needed as this one. You may have seen articles or news stories about childhood obsesity being at epidemic levels ,and my own observations seem to prove it out. Beyond that ,as a new runner my self I hope to turn on these boys to a sport that will give them much enjoyment and reward as I am getting . Fittness levels are very different amongest the boys ,Was hoping C 25k would keep them somewhat together . We will have acess to a track as well as park roads ,I want to mix the runs to avoid boredom. Thanks for the input !

Half Fanatic #846

I heartily applaud all the scout leaders who have given so much of their time voluntarily, and with so little recognition for it!! I can attest to the fact that you are all very important in young people's lives - you are very much appreciated. Big grin Big grin Big grin Thank You!

"I don't always roll a joint, but when I do, it's usually my ankle" - unk.         "Frankly autocorrect, I'm getting a bit tired of your shirt".                  I ran half my last race on my left foot!                                  

well I can stop worrying ,the kids loved it ! had 3 parents and another adult leader start also. We streched before and after .Had one kid thank us for starting it ! now I have to stager my 3 mile runs on different days from thier runs ,I not good enough to do both on the same day ! (someday ,someday ,ha!)