Just signed up for my first 5k! (Read 583 times)

I've been running off & on for a few years--always just for fitness. I'm training for a September half marathon, so I decided to run some smaller races along the way. The 5k is April 19, so I have plenty of time to get ready. I'm really excited--I felt like such a dork because I was actually nervous while registering online.
    dfranz

I can totally relate to feeling out of place, even registering on-line!!! I've only been "really" running for the past 6-7 months, but I have 3 5-k's under my belt, and other next weekend, while on my way to training for the Indianapolis Mini-Marathon in May - keep up the good work! Way to go mom!!!
        way to go mom!
        Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM
          After attaching your number and chip (if it's chip timed) you'll get past your dorkiness, and it will just be a fading memory. After a fair number of races I still feel like a dork, uh, cuz I am one. Nice job signing up for the race, I'm looking forward to the report. Waytogomom!

E.J.
          Greater Lowell Road Runners
          Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

Thanks for the support, everyone!
              Nice job- I remember that feeling. Enjoy your first race, you only get one and you're guaranteed to PR. We expect a report when you're done. Wink
                Nice job- I remember that feeling. Enjoy your first race, you only get one and you're guaranteed to PR. We expect a report when you're done. Wink
                You got it!
                Teresadfp

One day at a time

I've been running off & on for a few years--always just for fitness. I'm training for a September half marathon, so I decided to run some smaller races along the way. The 5k is April 19, so I have plenty of time to get ready. I'm really excited--I felt like such a dork because I was actually nervous while registering online.
                  Good luck - you'll have a blast. Believe me, I'm a total dork, but I still like to run in races! One thing that helps me when I feel funny next to all the cute young things is to look at the results and see the relative few number of women there are in my age group. I'm DOING this, and there are a lot of other moms out there who AREN'T! And that's what counts. You'll be nervous before the race starts, but once you get going, you'll be fine. Just remember to start out very slowly!! You can always speed up later. Teresa
                    way to go mom!
                    Agreed. That feeling will go away after you finish.

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

I just signed up for my first 5k in two weeks. This is my first race ever (baring secondary school where I was made to sprint and thus always be last.) I am worried about how to pick up my packet, what to wear, the attachment of the number, where the chip goes, how many toilets they'll have, whether I'll look silly, will I be last (please, please let me not be last), whether I'll make it to the end (I can run further than 4 miles but maybe I'll collapse.)... I guess this probably isn't helping Wink - Good Luck!
                        I just signed up for my first 5k in two weeks. This is my first race ever (baring secondary school where I was made to sprint and thus always be last.) I am worried about how to pick up my packet, what to wear, the attachment of the number, where the chip goes, how many toilets they'll have, whether I'll look silly, will I be last (please, please let me not be last), whether I'll make it to the end (I can run further than 4 miles but maybe I'll collapse.)... I guess this probably isn't helping Wink - Good Luck!
                        I have the same fears you do (my first 5k is March 16). The one I could control is being last -- so I signed up for the biggest race in my city. Wink There are something like 15,000 participants, and 3 waves. I am not a fast runner, but my chances are pretty good that I won't be the last out of 15,000 people. Big grin Plus this is the race that ends in green beer, so there are a lot of folks that are just out there for fun.

Michelle

We have our annual St Patrick's Party that night (March 15th) and my parents will be over from Ireland. I at least have a good post race party set up. (There will be no Green beer however - I don't think any good beer deserves to be dyed. My husbands home made porter is fermenting away quite nicely and should be ready for the big day.)
                            I am not a fast runner, but my chances are pretty good that I won't be the last out of 15,000 people. Big grin
                            Even this isn't worth a moment's worry. Dead Last Finish > Did Not Finish > Did Not Start At the Kerouac 5K in Lowell last year, I thought it was great that the crowd at Hookslide Kelly's cheered the last runner as loudly as the first. He was 75 years old, and came in at 1:00:24 for a 19:29 pace. By some measures, he was the hardest working runner out there that day and you really have to give him credit for getting it done.

E.J.
                            Greater Lowell Road Runners
                            Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.