First marathon / Master Run Coach / Soldier Marathon (Read 1032 times)

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

I ran my first marathon on this past Saturday.

Finished in 4:01:11and first in may age group…there were only five of usWink 

Also BQ'd.  Not too interested in that tho.  

I used Nobby's Master Run Coach (MRC) for my training and highly recommend it.

Thank you Nobby!  And also thank you for your patience in answering questions!

http://www.go2lydiard.com/

Soldier Marathon / Half Marathon Columbus / Ft. Benning, Ga.  Was very well organized.

Good pasta diner the night before and plenty of food and drink after.  I never felt totally alone on the course. 

Plenty of water, toilets etc.  All turns well marked.  Many soldiers directing runners while on Ft. Benning and plenty

of civilians doing the same on the longer river walk Columbus portion.   Only one largish hill in the first few 

miles then the remainder was flat with some small rolling bits. 

http://www.soldiermarathon.com/home.aspx

The National Infantry Museum at the start / finish is fabulous!

mta:  also pr'd my 10k by almost two min. a couple weeks ago.   Thanks Nobby.

steph  

Congratulations on your first marathon and your AG win!

I agree with your MRC recommendation.  I followed it leading up to my goal Half Marathon (yesterday) and got a big PR.  More importantly a better understanding of how to train: the purpose of each phase and individual workout.  Great learning experience for me as a runner.

Congratulations! Enjoy it while you can. Pretty soon you'll start thinking about what's next!

congrats on your first.

BQ on the first time out, wow. only took me 13 yearsCool

Get off my porch

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

I agree with your MRC recommendation.  I followed it leading up to my goal Half Marathon (yesterday) and got a big PR.  More importantly a better understanding of how to train: the purpose of each phase and individual workout.  Great learning experience for me as a runner.

Yes, this!

Congratulations to you too!

steph  

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

Congratulations! Enjoy it while you can. Pretty soon you'll start thinking about what's next!

Ha-Ha,  Just signed up for R&R USA for March 17 since we are going to be in DC any waySmile

steph  

Marylander

Congrats on the marathon! I may do my first next year. I'm also doing the Master Run Coach program and have been enjoying it a lot. In trying to coordinate my schedule with my daughter's I have had to restart twice but I think we're on the same page now. Because of the restarts I haven't yet made it to the hills phase yet although I first started Aug 14... Smile We're doing the 5k plan but it's not too much different from the marathon plan.

I like the Master Run Coach program, because it gives me permission to run a bit slower or faster than prescribed pace, range of running duration depending on how my body feels any particular day.  Most other plans have a recommended pace/distance, that a lot of people beat themselves up trying to hit precisely even if that was not intended by the program itself. 

I used Nobby's Master Run Coach (MRC) for my training and highly recommend it.

Thank you Nobby!  And also thank you for your patience in answering questions!

http://www.go2lydiard.com/

Soldier Marathon / Half Marathon Columbus / Ft. Benning, Ga.  Was very well organized.

Good pasta diner the night before and plenty of food and drink after.  I never felt totally alone on the course. 

Plenty of water, toilets etc.  All turns well marked.  Many soldiers directing runners while on Ft. Benning and plenty

of civilians doing the same on the longer river walk Columbus portion.   Only one largish hill in the first few 

miles then the remainder was flat with some small rolling bits. 

http://www.soldiermarathon.com/home.aspx

The National Infantry Museum at the start / finish is fabulous!

mta:  also pr'd my 10k by almost two min. a couple weeks ago.   Thanks Nobby.

Thanks for the promo! ;o)  Good job!! 

Congratulations on your first marathon and your AG win!

You made my day; that's EXACTLY the purpose of this on-line training program--educational tool.  In a few months, we'll re-launch the site and it'll only get better!! 

Congrats on the marathon! I may do my first next year. I'm also doing the Master Run Coach program and have been enjoying it a lot. In trying to coordinate my schedule with my daughter's I have had to restart twice but I think we're on the same page now. Because of the restarts I haven't yet made it to the hills phase yet although I first started Aug 14... Smile We're doing the 5k plan but it's not too much different from the marathon plan.

The basis of Lydiard training, which this MRC is based on, is to first build a big aerobic base before you move on to more race specific training.  So the first 2/3 of the program won't have much difference.  If you look at it closely, however, you'll know that the total volume of training, from marathon to 5k, is slightly different.  For example, while marathon program would requite you to get up to about 2:30 or so for the long run, I believe 5k would "only" go up to about 2:10.  And perhaps most importantly, Out & Back, which is basically a different term for Tempo run, is much shorter for 5k program and quite a bit faster.

The whole program would take a bit of the twist once you get into Coordination Phase which is the beginning of race-specific training.  While marathon program would retain volume, 5k program would introduce a lot more sharper work, like 800 AND 200m time trial once a week.  Where marathon program has O&B of over an hour quite frequently, 5k program would call for 3k and/or 5k time trial or race.  And, even during Anaerobic Phase, or Interval phase, you'll be having a bit less in total volume for 5k than marathon; plus the effort will be slightly different--you'll be pushing up to 3/4 effort for 5k whereas marathon will settle for 1/2 effort.

Just because 5k race is 1/8th of marathon race distance, that does not mean your volume is 1/8 (as some so-called Lydiard expert had claimed) or the speed a whole lot faster.  This so-called Lydiard expert once said that the total volume of interval is determined by the race distance; meaning, 800m runner would only do total distance of 800m for interval.  NO WAY!!  You'd engage yourself for interval training for a specific purpose and that is to cover a VOLUME of anaerobic type training.  While 5k, or 800/1500m runner might do intervals shorter distance and, therefore, a bit faster; the total volume should still be there.

Does this make sense?

Marylander

Yep, makes sense. I'm really enjoying the program a lot.