Hello, new to this forum. 2013 Plan (flexible) and would like advice (Read 559 times)

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

I think it's open to anyone seeing it......... if not then http://www.runningahead.com/logs/6d1d5cb5e27e4230a9d79029229a9ba6/plans/dbc56c1ef43d452d945e04427aeb4c42

It is not a set plan, just something I would like to go by this year. There is one problem, as you'll notice one week I run Monday, Wednesday, Friday and Sunday with my tempo run on Wednesday. I would like to have my tempo runs every Wednesday but I don't know what distance I should have it on the other week where I would be running Tuesday (easy) / Wednesday (tempo) / Thursday (easy) so it would be back to back and that will be a first for me so I am not sure if I should do maybe 3 miles for a start (you know, a couple weeks) or more.... or less. Right now, for example this week I am running Monday ( 5 easy) / Wednesday (6 tempo) / Friday (5 easy) / Sunday (9 long) which will be a total of 25 miles but then since I don't have a tempo run for the following week, my weekly mileage will end up being 19.................. so I drop 6 miles. Someone help me, and other than that, any suggestions or needed tweaks would be greatly appreciated.

I am ready to be averaging 20-25 miles a week, and I need to add a 4th run in the week with just 3, I want it to be a tempo run but I am not sure of a safe, injury preventive mileage to add.

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

Your log is not open, but you are likely over thinking this tempo.  Just run the mileage you have planned and you'll see big improvements over the next year.  Run a bit faster for a couple of miles on any of the easier days and strides (6-8 X 60-100m at a good clip with a complete recovery) to finish some runs and you'll do fine.

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Your log is not open, but you are likely over thinking this tempo.  Just run the mileage you have planned and you'll see big improvements over the next year.  Run a bit faster for a couple of miles on any of the easier days and strides (6-8 X 60-100m at a good clip with a complete recovery) to finish some runs and you'll do fine.

It's not? Hmmm.... but thanks for the advice!

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

Judging by your photograph I think you are too young for tempo running.

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

Resident Historian

So overthinking.  Run when you feel like it, take rest days when you need them.  Mostly run easy, mix in tempos, fartlek, hills.  Don't lock in to a rigid plan.

Neil

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
            “Some people will tell you that slow is good – but I'm here to tell you that fast is better. I've always believed this, in spite of the trouble it's caused me. - Hunter S. Thompson

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Haha SimonR, that isn't me that is my son at 6 months old last October.

Like I said Longboat, this isn't my set plan, I was bored and thought it would be fun to kin of lay my plan out in front of me, get a general idea of this year. I am excited, no injuries (knock on wood) and no pregnancy. I do have a tendency of doing too much and injuring myself so I thought it would be a good idea to plan 2013 out a little. But thanks for the advice Smile

PRs

Judging by your photograph I think you are too young for tempo running.

Hey, you are NEVER too young to run.  Well, unless you have not learned to walk yet. Approve

I am in the crowd that just says to myself "I want to get 40 MPW this week" and then I do random runs and types on various days that will add up to the 40'ish range.  No set plan for me, other than achieving a total weekly mileage.  -- I do understand that some folks like to really plan out everything months out and follow a prescribed, set schedule, but I do it randomly, so can't add any helpful input there.

The Plan '15 →   ///    "Run Hard, Live Easy."   ∞

Hey, you are NEVER too young to run.  Well, unless you have not learned to walk yet. Approve

I am in the crowd that just says to myself "I want to get 40 MPW this week" and then I do random runs and types on various days that will add up to the 40'ish range.  No set plan for me, other than achieving a total weekly mileage.  -- I do understand that some folks like to really plan out everything months out and follow a prescribed, set schedule, but I do it randomly, so can't add any helpful input there.

so do you have a set long run on the weekend, or do you run long enough to get your miles in?

Do you have a typical weekly schedule? Do you mind sharing?

***noob questions **** not being critical.

”Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.”

“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.”

Tomas

I don't have any kind of schedule.  I just set out to do a long run on Mondays usually (to start out the week right with some weekly mileage in the bank).  Then I usually get 1, or sometimes 2 more long runs in during the week, and fill in the gaps inbetween with speed drill days, tempo days, or an "easy run" 2-miler day if I have a race the next day.

I don't stick to a rigid schedule because I race every weekend (widely varying race distances) so everything has to flex around what the race is.  For example I had a 50K on December 15th, so I had a few 'easy' short runs for a couple days on either side of that big run.  I got all my weekly mileage in that one run.  This week is different though.  I have a 5K race, so I did a bunch of long runs Tuesday-Thursday to get most of my weekly miles in, and now I can relax.  Today I will do an "easy 2 miler" to rest, then I will be doing the 5K race on Sat.

My plan flexes (everything is in the graph link which shows what I have been up to the past month), but my biggest underlying goal is 40+ MPW for most weeks in 2013.  I'm trying to hit alot of goals and alot of races all at the same time.  It is working so far. :-)

The Plan '15 →   ///    "Run Hard, Live Easy."   ∞

I don't have any kind of schedule.  I just set out to do a long run on Mondays usually (to start out the week right with some weekly mileage in the bank).  Then I usually get 1, or sometimes 2 more long runs in during the week, and fill in the gaps inbetween with speed drill days, tempo days, or an "easy run" 2-miler day if I have a race the next day.

I don't stick to a rigid schedule because I race every weekend (widely varying race distances) so everything has to flex around what the race is.  For example I had a 50K on December 15th, so I had a few 'easy' short runs for a couple days on either side of that big run.  I got all my weekly mileage in that one run.  This week is different though.  I have a 5K race, so I did a bunch of long runs Tuesday-Thursday to get most of my weekly miles in, and now I can relax.  Today I will do an "easy 2 miler" to rest, then I will be doing the 5K race on Sat.

My plan flexes (everything is in the graph link which shows what I have been up to the past month), but my biggest underlying goal is 40+ MPW for most weeks in 2013.  I'm trying to hit alot of goals and alot of races all at the same time.  It is working so far. :-)

that sounds pretty cool. I like to see that people race so many different distances. keep up the good work. I should have tought about just looking at your training log.

take care.

”Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.”

“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.”

Tomas