Lets talk about sugars (Read 1011 times)

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBnniua6-oM

47 minutes in and we get a mention! He references "marathoners", and implies that glycogen hoarding doesn't hurt us -- he just said it can store any amount of glycogen. I want to raise my hand ask him to forget about the metabolic syndrome for a moment, and talk about how to get enough glycogen in there to run 30mi hard.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Feeling the growl again

talk about how to get enough glycogen in there to run 30mi hard.

Let me know when you figure that out, considering that Dopple Bock now expects a 5:25 50-miler out of me.  Sheesh.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

bhearn

But...in a nutshell: HFCS is bad becomes it comes from corn by the means of a whole bunch of processing. Much refined sugar, even cane sugar, is fairly heavily processed also.

http://running.competitor.com/2010/07/features/the-straight-dope-on-sugar-in-sports-drinks-2_11289

"One sugar that is used commonly in sports drinks—although less and less so—is high fructose corn syrup. This sugar has acquired a very bad reputation based on a little bit of science and a whole lot of media hype. In fact, there is nothing inherently bad about high fructose corn syrup. It is nothing more than a combination of what might be considered the two most natural sugars on earth: glucose, which is the sugar your body runs on, and fructose, which is the sugar in fruit.

Why does high fructose corn syrup have a bad reputation? Simply because our collective intelligence is not subtle enough to distinguish between food ingredients that are inherently unhealthy and nutrients that we simply consume too much of. For example, the average person believes that saturated fat is inherently unhealthy. But it is not. Our bodies use saturated fat in all kinds of important ways. But we happen to consume too much saturated fat, and that causes problems. It’s the same with high fructose corn syrup. The problem is not that this ingredient contributes to obesity and metabolic disease more than other sugars on a gram-for-gram basis. The problem is that the average American consumes 60 pounds of HFCS per year! Any type of sugar will make you fat in such volume!"

Feeling the growl again

But...in a nutshell: HFCS is bad becomes it comes from corn by the means of a whole bunch of processing. Much refined sugar, even cane sugar, is fairly heavily processed also.

And...having many relatives who produce sugar via sugar beets and a local cooperative...ANY simple sugar added to foods is produced via a large amount of processing.  I've toured the plant.  Don't fool yourselves into thinking beet or cane sugar is less processed than HFCS.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

Agreed, Mr. Hearn. Note: I'm no advocate of cane sugar. It's pretty caustic stuff: look at "sugar curing." You sprinkle sugar on something and it literally shrivels up. Unless you sprinkle it on pork: then you get ham..........j/k.

But, one of the reasons that we consume so much HFCS is that it does wind up in so many different foodstuffs, which can make it difficult to account for, and therefore, to moderate. And how it found its way into so many different items is a many-faceted thing.

I am also under the impression that the fructose in HFCS is "read" by your body differently than the fructose found in fruits. I can't quote the source, though.....it is, unfortunately, "something I read on the internet."

Credibility gone.

Feeling the growl again

I am also under the impression that the fructose in HFCS is "read" by your body differently than the fructose found in fruits. I can't quote the source, though.....it is, unfortunately, "something I read on the internet."

Fructose is "read" differently than glucose.  However, fructose is a defined chemical structure and the source does not mean a dang thing to the body....enzymes only recognize chemical structures.

One may make arguments about the absence or presence of fiber and additional ingredients, but fructose is fructose....

high fructose corn syrup

I wonder if I can copy and paste a graph....

MTA: Okay, done. It's from here: http://skinnychef.com/blog/high-fructose-corn-syrup-bad-for-you

I know. Not the New England Journal of Medicine. But not a bad read.

I think that we all agree that consumption plays a greater roll in obesity than does any one single ingredient. I just think that the prevalence of HFCS makes it more difficult to moderate.

Slice

After reading all of this I really want a donut, a candy bar, and some yogurt. Dammit. I am proud to say that I've pretty much given up pancake syrup in favor of pureed fruit and/or honey due to the HFCS.

Back to the whole sugar debate, I know you're only supposed to have so many grams of sugar per day but does that include natural sugars found in fruit?

I don't half-ass anything

"I have several close friends who have run marathons, a word that is actually derived from two Swahili words: mara, which means 'to die a horrible death' and thon, which means 'for a stupid T-shirt.' Look it up." - Celia Rivenbark, You Can't Drink All Day if You Don't Start in the Morning

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

I still haven't finished the Sugar: Bitter Pill video -- it is an hour and a half. It sounds like he is setting up to argue that fructose is a poison insomuch as it causes problems in the feedback mechanism -- I think he is going to start talking about leptin at some point. But I haven't gotten there yet. I won't get there tonight; it's getting deferred.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Some sugars are better for producing carbonation in beer during the bottling process than others.  Most home brewers prefer corn sugar because it results in better carbonation.  (no I don't have a double blind study proving this).  Anyway, if it is better for beer making it must be better for you.  Any questions?

Best Present Ever

to the whole sugar debate, I know you're only supposed to have so many grams of sugar per day but does that include natural sugars found in fruit?

If you're talking about the IOM recommendations, it refers to limiting added sugars, not the sugars naturally in foods.
                        Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Some sugars are better for producing carbonation in beer during the bottling process than others.  Most home brewers prefer corn sugar because it results in better carbonation. 

Gosh, I would think most home brewers would prefer malt sugars.

Prince of Fatness

Some sugars are better for producing carbonation in beer during the bottling process than others.  Most home brewers prefer corn sugar because it results in better carbonation.  (no I don't have a double blind study proving this).  Anyway, if it is better for beer making it must be better for you.  Any questions?

Questions, yes.  What is "better carbonation"?  Will my burps be any different if I use one sugar over another?  I've used both corn sugar and table sugar to carb my beer and haven't noticed any difference.  As a matter of fact, you use less table sugar by weight than corn sugar, so maybe that is better.  Anyway table sugar is cheaper and more readily available so I use that.  My next batch will be an oatmeal stout and I am going to carb that with dark brown sugar.  The yeast will eat what you give them.

I wouldn't use malt extract unless I had to because I have heard that you will get a krauzen ring in the bottle.  But it will carb the beer just fine.

Not at it at all. 

Gosh, I would think most home brewers would prefer malt sugars.

Golly gee, I was talking about bottling (carbonating) not fermenting.
                              Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Gee willikers, why not use malt?