Interest in a multi-sport user group? (Read 1222 times)

I may look at that.  I suppose I could always keep my log in 2 places.  I know there are other people who do that, even with just running.  Or they use RA and SportTracks, etc.

I struggle with the keeping of 2 logs too.  I actually started using BT's log because I joined one of their mentor groups and they wanted you to have it there so the "leader" could see it etc.  I always thought that after I was done with the group, I would stop tracking it over there...but I've become addicted to the "inspires" hehehe Smile  Some days I'm really good about tracking it both places, other days I have to pull up both calendars and try to figure out which one is right.  Plus I also track my food on another site, geez!

MTA:  They do seem to have a very active Michigan group. 

Ginny 'Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there' Will Rogers
    zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Cool...I think I probably will open an account there soon.  I'm already coming up with questions about stupid noob stuff.  Since my bike purchase will be my first real road bike I'm going to have a bit of a learning curve.  Though DH is pretty tickled that my eyes no longer glaze over when he starts talking about bikey stuff. Wink

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

uncontrollable

If I could be fast & swift changing tires - I'd be so much more motivated to ride my bike more ... always worried I am going to get a flat 10 miles out & be trying to change the tire for an hour or more.  Those street tire/tubes are tricky to get on just right.  Anyone have any pointers???  Most people tell me it's a "the more you do it the better you get at it" type of thing.

peace

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

If I could be fast & swift changing tires - I'd be so much more motivated to ride my bike more ... always worried I am going to get a flat 10 miles out & be trying to change the tire for an hour or more.  Those street tire/tubes are tricky to get on just right.  Anyone have any pointers???  Most people tell me it's a "the more you do it the better you get at it" type of thing.

Hubby suggests seeing if a local bike shop will give you a lesson.  I guess that was the way he learned to do it fast and properly.  He's gotten really good at it over the years.  He also uses CO2 tubes exclusively for inflation...no more messing with an old school pump.  I think for a while I may try to always bike with someone who knows what the hell they are doing, though.  Being stuck in BFE out of cell phone range with a flat sounds crappy.

~ Sarah Kay

Slo

I've been there.....Out in the boonies with a flat and no cell phone.

I carry everything I need to fix and or change a tube but even then Murphy can still get you.......like when you can't find that microscopic size piece of glass that is stuck in the tire wall.

I was lucky enough to get a ride home from a friendly teenager.

Anyhow......In my motor vehicles I carry spare tubes and flat fixers. I've come across a stranded cyclist before and was able to get him back on the road by having these items.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I've been there.....Out in the boonies with a flat and no cell phone.

I carry everything I need to fix and or change a tube but even then Murphy can still get you.......like when you can't find that microscopic size piece of glass that is stuck in the tire wall.

I was lucky enough to get a ride home from a friendly teenager.

Anyhow......In my motor vehicles I carry spare tubes and flat fixers. I've come across a stranded cyclist before and was able to get him back on the road by having these items.

Heh, a couple of times DH has had multiple flats in a single ride and run out of back-up.  When he's been out of cell range (which isn't as big an issue now as it was a few years ago when there were fewer towers) he'll hoof it to the nearest house and borrow their phone to call his sag wagon...ahem, me.  I only have had to rescue him once this past season...and he was only a few miles from home.

I love the idea of carrying spares in the car for stranded cyclists.  I think that probably gives you a few hundred extra Karma points each time you help someone in a bind like that.

~ Sarah Kay

jules2

MissPratt, it depends on how you want to go about it.  If you are scared about getting a puncture and not bothered if you don't have racing tyres on go for a tyre that is tough.  If my IT skills have improved below is a link to the tyres I use in the Winter.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=18800

If you use a mountain bike get inner tubes with "slime" in, I assume you have that in the USA don't you? however it does not help if you get a puncture from glass rather than thorns.

Alternatively try changing and patching tubes whilst standing under a cold shower to build your confidence up

Old age is when you move from illegal to prescribed drugs.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I asked my hubby about studded road bike tires so that I could ride on roads with a light layer of packed snowy crap on them.  I think he thought I was just kidding.  Apparently they are really expensive, though.

~ Sarah Kay

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

And speaking of glass.  A couple of Summers ago DH was out riding and a tire was slashed.  He walked back to figure out what did it and within a few feet of each other were a steak knife blade AND a razor blade.  He thinks they were conspiring to see which of them could take out the most bicycles.

~ Sarah Kay

DirtyGraceFlint

The Crap Whisperer

Hubby suggests seeing if a local bike shop will give you a lesson.  I guess that was the way he learned to do it fast and properly.  He's gotten really good at it over the years.  He also uses CO2 tubes exclusively for inflation...no more messing with an old school pump.  I think for a while I may try to always bike with someone who knows what the hell they are doing, though.  Being stuck in BFE out of cell phone range with a flat sounds crappy.

The bike shop I got my bike at taught me how to change a flat...and even after only doing it once I feel pretty confident...it's not too bad. Also, they have maintenance classes every now and again and changing a flat is covered during class 1 - you could check around and see if any bike shops in your area have classes like this.

Being the best tiny spec that I can be!

I recently had a flat.  I took it to the local bike store and asked if I could watch them change it.  They said sure.  It was pretty quick.

MTA:  Another LBS runs free classes on weekends on how to fix flats.

"If I control myself, I control my destiny."

jules2

I asked my hubby about studded road bike tires so that I could ride on roads with a light layer of packed snowy crap on them.  I think he thought I was just kidding.  Apparently they are really expensive, though.

In the USA what's the price difference between two studded tyres and a broken arm?

Old age is when you move from illegal to prescribed drugs.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

In the USA what's the price difference between two studded tyres and a broken arm?

Ha, I think his take on the issue is studded tires vs. no riding.  Running in the snow is relatively cheap.

~ Sarah Kay

DirtyGraceFlint

The Crap Whisperer

So what did you think of the beginner triathlete site Zoomy? I probably need to get on some sort of peddling plan...just haven't looked yet since it rains every day...

Being the best tiny spec that I can be!

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

So what did you think of the beginner triathlete site Zoomy? I probably need to get on some sort of peddling plan...just haven't looked yet since it rains every day...

I was telling Eric that it's kind of overwhelming.  It's the same reason I find that RA is worlds better than RWOL (well, that and the quality of posters here is superior).  It's full of ads and I think members have to pay for premium features.  My guess is the ads still show even if one pays.  That doesn't sit well with me.  I also don't see any Garmin uploading capabilities.  I have heard that it is nice for training advice and plans, though.  Personally, I think I am going to use a novice sprint duathlon plan that "Coach Troy" (the Spinervals guy) has posted publically online.

I'll probably log my workouts on both sites once I start really doing a lot of cycling.  That way I can stick to getting running-specific support here and du advice over there.  RA will almost certainly always be my "home," though.

~ Sarah Kay