Running in Chicago - recommendations on routes? (Read 45 times)

redleaf

We're heading to Chicago for the weekend. We've never been so don't know what the running is like. I'd rather not run on the hotel treadmill 'cause I run slow and I'd like to run about 10 miles one day and 5 another. We're staying near Lake Shore East Park. 

It seems (from google maps) that there's a path along the water - the Lakefront Trail. I'm assuming I can run there. There seem to be a couple of paths and I don't know if they are used for different purposes or what? 

Anyway, just thought I'd check here to see if anyone had any recommendations or advice. I tried to search for Chicago in the groups but the only ones I found are for the Chicago Marathon Big grin

Thanks!

First or last...it's the same finish line

HF #4362

Latent Runner

We're heading to Chicago for the weekend. We've never been so don't know what the running is like. I'd rather not run on the hotel treadmill 'cause I run slow and I'd like to run about 10 miles one day and 5 another. We're staying near Lake Shore East Park. 

It seems (from google maps) that there's a path along the water - the Lakefront Trail. I'm assuming I can run there. There seem to be a couple of paths and I don't know if they are used for different purposes or what? 

Anyway, just thought I'd check here to see if anyone had any recommendations or advice. I tried to search for Chicago in the groups but the only ones I found are for the Chicago Marathon Big grin

Thanks!

I haven't lived in Chicago now for just over 20 years, but I'm about 99% certain Lincoln Park still has both paved walks and a cinder trail which can be used for runing.  I prefer the cinder trail even though I fell on it one time and am still carrying around a few cinders under the skin of my right knee.  Smile

Fat old man PRs:

• 1-mile (point to point, gravity assist): 5:50
      • 2-mile: 13:49
      • 5K (gravity assist last mile): 21:31
      • 5-Mile: 37:24
      • 10K (first 10K of my Half Marathon): 48:16
      • 10-Mile (first 10 miles of my Half Marathon): 1:17:40
      • Half Marathon: 1:42:13

jfa

Running along the lakefront is nice. Head north towards the Navy Pier.

Joann Y

The Lakefront Trail is great. It is really long and goes at least 7-8 miles south and even farther than that north. Access may be a bit tricky from where you are. I would go a block or two west over to Columbus, get on the sidewalk, take that south down to Monroe and cross over Lake Shore Drive to the path that way. There is a stoplight there at the intersection. From there you can go north or south (left or right, respectively). Bit busier north with nice beaches, buildings, and people (if the weather is warm enough). I really like going south too for some really great views of downtown (especially after you turn around and start coming back north). It is all very nice though and will not disappoint. You can try both ways.

If it is icy, things can get a bit tricky so you will have to just see how it is and use your judgement. If you want more adventure, there are plenty of safe neighborhoods to jog through as well. Let me know.

Otherwise, you will have a perfectly enjoyable time going up and down the lake path. I'm looking at the map and see what you are talking about with all the paths. In my mind it is really only one path that goes north/south. If you go south, just follow the signs. If you go north, it is a little funny just after you cross the Chicago River. You will find yourself on a sidewalk as you cross the river. You will want to continue to bear north. To do this you will cross two lights (I think) and keep north (don't go east towards Navy Pier). Zoom in really close on the map and you can see the trail going straight north throught that crazy portion of Illinois, Grand, etc.

Have fun!

MTA:  It's not really as complicated as I made it sound, just wanted to give you something to work with if you need it.

redleaf

thanks everyone! Joann - nah, it's good; I read it through a couple of times and it makes sense Smile

First or last...it's the same finish line

HF #4362