Are you ever not sore? What soreness do you just kinda live with? (Read 1471 times)

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

thanks for starting this post - it could have been me writing it! i am in a similar place mileage wise to you, just a little behind. i'm really battling with sore calves/ shins at the moment. i am curious to know if it could be shoe related?
    It definitely could be shoe related. My shins got sore from running with worn out shoes and, since I got new ones, haven't had any problems. Do you know how many miles you have on your shoes? If they are older, it might be worth replacing them to make sure you are getting enough support.

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

It seems like for me new mileage seems to lead to some soreness in my calves. What I'm going to try is sticking in the new mileage range for a while and just let my body get use to it. Then repeat. And I'm trying to force myself into cut-back weeks also.
      I have been thinking about this... and the idea of upping milage 10% or less and then take a rest week every 4rth week type thing is just a recipe for soreness... I am thinking that Daniels idea is to only up milage after every 3rd week and then there is a recomendation of a mile for each session per week... so if you run 5 days a week you can up 5 miles... spread accross the week.
        thanks for starting this post - it could have been me writing it! i am in a similar place mileage wise to you, just a little behind. i'm really battling with sore calves/ shins at the moment. i am curious to know if it could be shoe related?
        It can absolutely be shoes. That's part of my battle. I add miles very conservatively and am careful not to overstride or run too fast. I was in the ortho office last year with very bad shin splints (periostitis was official diagnosis) and it was stability shoes that caused the problem. Neutral shoes by themselves also are an issue - I overpronate a little. So, OTC arch supports in my ASICS Landreths have improved things dramatically. I've gone from no running and limping around the office to running 25 miles per week. BUT I still have residual soreness in the inside of my shins. It's minor and goes away after a mile or two and I'm not in pain anymore. But that liittle bit of soreness is always there. It could be scar tissue or it could be that I still haven't found my perfect shoe. But orthopedist (also a very experienced marathon runner) didn't seem to think I needed a podiatrist and custom orthotics. So, right now, i just live with a little bit of tenderness in the shins that's not getting worse. that's why I posed the question. I do think some people are just more prone to it and need to manage it more actively.

andyndallas

Right hip, my right quad, my left shin. Other than that, I feel like $100
          ...and miles to go before I sleep

Duncan

EGH3 you keep putting your finger on interesting issues to me personally. i have high arches but run in stability shoes. i am thinking a neutral shoe may be better. i'm 43 and i don't believe i should get pain from running.

Hoping to Run Again :-(

I'm no expert, but it seems like you've had some ambitious monthly mileage increases. Nothing Jan.-Mar. and 14 in April and then nearly 60 in May. I'd be sore that way too I think. I'm closing in on 20 mpw and experience a tiny bit of soreness maybe once every two weeks, but I do all easy runs and slow long runs. I find the 10% rule works for me. I pushed it too hard last year and was injured (muscle tear) so it's the once bitten twice shy thing, but I'm happy to be on the road, ya know. Take care of yourself.
              ~ Fly ~
              Only as much as I dream can I be.
              veggies on the run
                Sore, I guess I am always a little sore. I do wonder just how fast I'll be able to run when I feel 100%. I don't think I'll be at 100% until I have a couple of weeks of tapering. I'll be pissed at myself if three weeks of taper won't be enough to get me to 100%.

"The drops of rain make a hole in the stone, not by violence, but by oft falling." - Lucretius

I'm no expert, but it seems like you've had some ambitious monthly mileage increases. Nothing Jan.-Mar. and 14 in April and then nearly 60 in May. I'd be sore that way too I think. I'm closing in on 20 mpw and experience a tiny bit of soreness maybe once every two weeks, but I do all easy runs and slow long runs. I find the 10% rule works for me. I pushed it too hard last year and was injured (muscle tear) so it's the once bitten twice shy thing, but I'm happy to be on the road, ya know. Take care of yourself.
                  Thanks! Actually, I was running, I just didn't track things here until end of April. From Dec - March, went from 9-10 mpw to about 15 mpw. Went slow to recover from periostitis. Just did a 7 mile long run Saturday and took Sunday and today off b/c my lower legs are tired. Also cut from 2 games to 1 hockey game per week. My shins still get sore but not like last year when I could barely walk. I've got all sorts of "shoe issues" that I won't get into in this thread. Supposedly, I overpronate but stability shoes give me bad shin splints. Neutrals with arch supports help but I still feel it in the shins. It's hard right now to know if I'm adding too many miles or if the shoes are keeping my shins from ever feeling 100%. That's why I was asking the question.

EGH3 you keep putting your finger on interesting issues to me personally. i have high arches but run in stability shoes. i am thinking a neutral shoe may be better. i'm 43 and i don't believe i should get pain from running.
                    That's what they tell me at the running store, "Running shouldn't hurt". Usually - and believe me, I'm a tough fit and can't tell you anything with absolute certainty - high arches do better with neutral shoes. Stability shoes would supposedly make a high arch problem worse. And to JSobo119's point, I think not running enough will also make you sore. I always got that analogy in weightlifting. If you recover completely, 100% between workouts, you'll get sore after the next one. Like tanning - you don't burn and then wait 10 days to be completely white again before you get more sun - you'll just burn again. You do a little each day and build up until you're tanned (not that I ever do this, I just burn no matter what I do. And it's bad for you, skin cancer and all, but you get the point).

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

During my first year or so of running I was frequently sore, particularly after longer runs and often the day following my runs. Now I am sore for the remainder of the day after a long run, but rarely the next day. About the only time I feel it the next day is after a race. One thing I would ask is how well are you sleeping? When I don't sleep well I swear the first place I feel it is in my shins. I had some shin soreness all last week...my mom and nephew were visiting and we were usually staying up too late and awake too early, so I was getting only 6 hours or so of sleep/night, instead of the 7-9 that I really need.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Now I am sore for the remainder of the day after a long run, but rarely the next day.
                        Agree. I had an 8 mile run yesterday, and I am a wee bit sore in my glutes, and hammies, but other than that, I feel pretty much ready to run again.... I seem to have more of an issue with sleep the evening of the long run, as I get a little " restless leggy".

Life Goal- Stay Cancer Free, Live my Best Life

" Choose Joy, Today and ALWAYS" 

Timbodeener

I am always stiff from running...especially in my knees but not what I would classify as sore (although I've recently developed runners knee so that really is soreness!) I've learned to just live with it and it doesn't bother me while I'm running...just later and the next day...then the cycle repeats itself over and over.