5k goal time (Read 166 times)

karsa

My last 5k time trial was 23:59. Not sure if it was my best effort, but it was pretty close.

I'm trying to establish a good and attainable 5k goal for the summer of 2014, considering I'm willing to put in the effort (~65 mpw at peak) and lose some weight.  Will follow Hansons advanced 5k training plan. My log for the last few months is open. This is also the most consistent I've been with training so far. 36 yo, 179cm, 81kg.

Any thoughts?

an amazing likeness

Just keep running them regularly, and watch you times drop throughout the year.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

mikeymike

Do you have any running/racing background to go by? If not, I think summer of 2014 is too far off to have any clue what you could do by then. You probably want to set some nearer term goals and see how it goes. By next summer you could be running sub 16 or still working on breaking 20 minutes. There's no way to tell at this point how you will respond to training.

Runners run

karsa

Well Mike, I've been running on and off for the last 5 years, more off than on. I couldn't run a mile at the time.

For some reason I started my running career jumping straight into marathon with my first being a total fiasco - 5h40 - cramping, knee injury, sole blisters and whatnot. This was 2011. 2012 almost no running due to AT and PF. This year I did a 4h07 marathon in October.

The plan is to try to break 3h50 for a spring marathon (early May - 18 weeks of training) which leaves me the summer to work on my speed (13 weeks plan).

I took off over 90 sec off my 5K PR at the time during marathon taper, a few sharpening workouts were part of the Marathon plan and was all I needed to get that.

My guess is running a few short races every 2-3 weeks once you are recovered from the marathon will give a pretty good result without needing any specific "5K Training", at least that is my plan after my March marathon.

.... spring marathon (early May ...

Spring = early May??? wow, I live too far south to consider that spring time Smile.

I took off over 90 sec off my 5K PR at the time during marathon taper, a few sharpening workouts were part of the Marathon plan and was all I needed to get that.

I had the same experience (5K PR during marathon taper).  Last Thursday, I had my 5k PR, and although I don't race 5ks often, I beat my 5k PR by 90+ seconds.  I did the previous 5k PR earlier this year (January) while training a lot more hours per month of training, but without any focus on speedwork.  I also wasn't peaking or "race ready" for my other 5k races.

Life Goals:

#1: Do what I can do

#2: Enjoy life

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

A few weeks ago, just 7 weeks after my first ultra (12-hour race), I ran my fastest 5K in over 3 years. That's not easy to do at my age and background. After about 3 weeks of primarily easy running for recovery, I ran one good interval workout weekly for 4 weeks running progressively faster and shorter with the workouts. It probably also helped that some speed work was included regularly in my ultra training.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                      05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

npaden

Hard to say with a time trial, and everyone is unique and all that, but I would say I've had some similar times and training over the last couple years and I think you could expect to take a couple minutes off that 5K time.

For me this year hitting my 10K goal was probably tougher than going sub 3:50 on my first marathon.

Current PR's:  Mara 3:14:36* (2017); HM 1:36:13 (2017); 10K 43:59 (2014); 5K 21:12 (2016)

xhristopher

When I started running in 09 I tried to run a 5K every 2 months to watch my progress. With each 5K I had a better idea of goal times for my next and proper pacing.  Unfortunately they never really feel easier.

I think it's been said above but I reccomend running 5Ks to find your answer.

My last 5k time trial was 23:59. Not sure if it was my best effort, but it was pretty close.

I'm trying to establish a good and attainable 5k goal for the summer of 2014, considering I'm willing to put in the effort (~65 mpw at peak) and lose some weight.  Will follow Hansons advanced 5k training plan. My log for the last few months is open. This is also the most consistent I've been with training so far. 36 yo, 179cm, 81kg.

Any thoughts?

I did not notice the time trial part. There is no way I am running within 30 seconds of my 5K race pace in a time trial. The best I could manage was 10K pace for a mile, and HM pace for 3 miles.  Race day magic is real, and is the only way to tell what you could run.

Also if you do manage to follow that plan, hit most of the key workouts and handle 65 MPW, got a feeling you will be pleasantly surprised.

karsa

Thanks everyone! As Mike said, it's a bit early to worry about my 5k time. But with my new-found enthusiasm, guess I like to plan ahead. That and the fact that program paces are based on goal time. I'll be more than happy to go somewhere around 21:00 next year.