Run/Walk ? (Read 853 times)

Haha thank you so much that made me laugh sooooooooo much Smile Really needed a giggle x
    Don't you guys listen to country music? "I'm going through the Big D and don't mean Dallas!"
    Ginny 'Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there' Will Rogers
      I had a different version of the big D, my mom died in July and I wasn't able to run at all. I walked until this week when I decided it was time to join the world again and start running. It took me almost 6 weeks and I felt guilty just walking but I knew I had to get out and move a little bit. I also had issues about running after my mom was diagnosed with brain cancer last year and I took about 6 weeks off then too. I have a hard time running while stressed. I breath all wrong and end up panicking and stopping. Just take it slow, your feet and the pavement will still be there when you are ready to run again.
      ~Liz, single mama to K, L & C Pain is nothing compared to what it feels like to quit.
        Don't you guys listen to country music?
        Oh HELL NO, and I'd rather watch badminton than NASCAR. Hang in there Anya, things will get better.

E.J.
        Greater Lowell Road Runners
        Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

Mr Inertia

Suspect Zero

I'm just coming back from a really nasty bout of stressful stuff. Not quite the big D, but not too far off as far as stress levels go. During that time, my training really fell apart. I could barely run a few miles without stopping for a walk. I kept pushing myself harder and harder and my runs were getting worse and worse. The poor quality of my runs was causing me even more stress so it was counteproductive. I didn't like running any more, but I still recognized that it had the potential to be good for me. I even stopped reading running publications and socializing with my running friends. I took one week off, no running. After that I decided to run 3-4x per week, however slow or fast or long or short I felt like running that day. Walks were permissable. After one week of this, I started to like running again. after about three weeks, I loved it again and decided to follow a training schedule. I've now moved from running for the sake of running to training again. this is not advice or anything like that, it's just my experience. A few thoughts: Running for the sake of running can be a good stress reducer. Somtimes training (a different thing) can be stressful. If you do decide to take a step back and take a break, decide how long that break is going to be before you take that break. If you go into it with a general "Until I feel like it again" you may never get back into this wonderful sport and we will miss you. I tried a week which may not sound like much, but it did wonders for me.

On On

I am guessing the stress of life is what is getting you down and you can not clear your head while on your run so you start to walk. During times of stress for me, the run allows me to relieve some of that stress versus staying home and thinking about it. For others it seems that is not so. Either way though being outside and around others is better than sitting home and either overeating (another way to deal with stress) or possibly becoming depressed based on your situation. Don't worry about speed, tempo, pace or anything. Just get outside and take that time for yourself during this difficult time.

A Saucy Wench

Hugs. Just keep moving at whatever pace or whatever rhythm works right now. You will lose far less of your running ability by walking than you would by doing nothing. Merely staying active will preserve a lot of your fitness.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

Menace to Sobriety

This too shall pass. Hang in there. When I was sick from chemo, I just did what I could. When I started back running regularly, it was hard not to beat myself up for punking out on a run halfway through, but I just thought about how, eventually, this would all be behind me, and things would get back to normal. Be good to yourself.

Janie, today I quit my job. And then I told my boss to go f*** himself, and then I blackmailed him for almost sixty thousand dollars. Pass the asparagus.

I do run/walk and I'm proud of it! During the summer months I will walk for a little each mile and during the cooler/cold months I walk a little every two miles. Works out so well for me that I have no intention of giving it up.
                  Finished my first marathon 1-13-2008 in 6:03:37 at P.F. Chang's in Phoenix. PR in San Antonio RnR 5:45:58!!!!!! on 11-16-08 The only thing that has ever made any difference in my running is running. Goal: Break 2:30 in the HM this year Jay Benson Tri (place in Athena category) 5-10-09