Giving up on a goal (Read 669 times)

Well, more like postponing it. Due to what I self-diagnosed as IT trouble, I've come to realize that there really is no way to run the Tupelo Marathon Aug. 31st. Up until Sunday I was doing okay with my training until the knee pain started and I had to scrap my 20 miler and turn it into a 10. I rested, stretched, iced until today when I went on a "test" run. I had been feeling fine. Walking around fine. Going up and down the stairs without pain, but running...it rears it's ugly head about 1.5 miles into what was only going to be about 2. I guess I'll rest, stretch, ice some more but that's too much off time from training so a sub 4 hour marathon is out of the question. I'm sure I could complete it, but it wouldn't be pretty or fun or even close to my goal. I'll probably run the 14.2 miler with a fraternity brother just for fun. Kind of bummed that the marathon is out of the picture.
    redleaf

Sorry to hear that. As a new runner I can't imagine going so far and then having to stop. Glad to see you're not giving up entirely though.

First or last...it's the same finish line

HF #4362

jeffdonahue

I remember that - had the same problem after my first marathon. I would get pain about 1.5 miles into any run I did - which is kind of disconcerting because then you are 1.5 miles from home and have to hobble back. Make sure you really stretch and massage your calves - do both stretches, straight leg for your upper calves and bent leg for lower calves. I foudn that this really helped me recover quickly.
        JakeKnight

Bummer. Give it some rest. Maybe you'll surprise yourself. I'm not sure Tupelo's the best choice for a goal marathon anyway. If your leg feels better, why not just run it easy and see how it goes? See you there, hopefully.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
          -----------------------------

I'm going to run the 14.2 miler easy just to run it. I guess now that the marathon isn't on the line, nor any type of PR, I guess I can go over for the Ole Miss/Memphis game the day before and partake of the festivities. Hopefully I'll recover and set the PR at White Rock in Dec. That sets up as better place for a PR anyway.
              Sorry to hear that. As a new runner I can't imagine going so far and then having to stop. Glad to see you're not giving up entirely though.
              I can't give up entirely. I'm too addicted to running to stop.

Giant Flaming Dork

If it's any consolation, I had to give up the goal of the Hartford Marathon this year. It's the first thing on my goal list that I haven't accomplished... "Run a marathon before 35" It's not an easy thing to do and combining this with an injury is even harder. No wonder you're in a funk...

http://xkcd.com/621/

A Saucy Wench

That bites, rest and get healthy My first marathon I pulled a calf badly and couldnt train and ran anyway and that was the most miserable hours of my life. My second planned marathon I was training great when I tripped and sprained an ankle badly. This time I was smart and bagged the marathon, that hurt a lot because I had been training so well, and because I had to wait another 2 years to try again. Got pregnant while recovering from the sprain. Big grin But eventually I got there!

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7