Running Abroad (Read 108 times)

JoshSGman

Hi!

I was wondering for those of you that travel and try to keep up with your running schedule. Are you ever frustrated with finding routes in new cities?

Any cool tools you use to map out your routes for scenic or safe areas?

Anyone else having these problems??

Thanks,

Josh

Feeling the growl again

As for safe, it really depends where you are traveling.  Most of my international travel is to Western Europe, so I don't worry a whole bunch.  Many other locals yes, I would do some research as to what is safe.

Start out with some simple Mapquesting or something similar of the area around where you will be staying.  Take note of large parks and waterways; both are more likely to have associated trails.

Last year I traveled to Vienna and Dublin and was successfully able to pre-scout good running before I arrived.  A few years before I did London off-the-cuff, it turned out OK.  Right now I am in Amsterdam, I've been here before so I had a good idea.  But I already found a longer trail along the Amstel River, I just got back from a 12 mile loop on pleasant trails that had plenty of dirt.  A lot of bikes/mopeds to contend with but it is pleasant running.

Just remember you are a foreigner.  Be very careful after dark.  When I was in Dublin most of my running was after dark so I just looped around a large square observed by plenty of eyes.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Latent Runner

I made the mistake of trying to run in Taipei one time; coughed up black stuff for nearly a day.  Sad

Fat old man PRs:

• 1-mile (point to point, gravity assist): 5:50
        • 2-mile: 13:49
        • 5K (gravity assist last mile): 21:31
        • 5-Mile: 37:24
        • 10K (first 10K of my Half Marathon): 48:16
        • 10-Mile (first 10 miles of my Half Marathon): 1:17:40
        • Half Marathon: 1:42:13
        activerunner

I've found SafeRoute to be very helpful http://bit.ly/1azxmK4

haroldjiii

run, rest & read

I made the mistake of trying to run in Taipei one time; coughed up black stuff for nearly a day.  Sad

I do all of my running in Taipei, and you must have been out at the wrong time of day. The pollution here is pretty much all caused by traffic, so early morning runs before commuting starts are fine. Although, 11 years ago when I first got here the air was much worse. Guess it depends on when you were here.

Also, Taipei is very safe, crime-wise. stupid driver-wise, it's a nightmare with scooters, cars and taxis doing whatever comes into their heads with no regard for anyone else. Another reason for early morning runs is to avoid this.

Plan on finishing your run by 6:30 am, and you'll be fine in Taipei. Later runs can be done on trails outside the city. If you're visiting and need directions, PM me and I'll give you some ideas. Just be ready for the heat.

TJoseph

I got lost on a run in Tokyo once (Shinjuku).  I used the map feature on my Garmin 305 to find my way back to the hotel.  It didn't show the roads, but showed where the hotel was relative to me.  I think collecting runs with my GPS watch in foreign countries is more fun that buying souvenirs.

Feeling the growl again

I think collecting runs with my GPS watch in foreign countries is more fun that buying souvenirs.

+1 to that.  I've had some amazing runs getting to know new cities.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills