Garmin 310XT Upload Help (Read 268 times)

djschroeder4

A few days ago, I was able to upload my data to Garmin Connect as usual. When I went to Running Ahead to upload it, it says it was unable to connect to my Garmin. The same thing happened when I tried to upload to another site. I tried everything on another computer and the same thing happened- I could upload to Garmin connect but RA wouldn't connect to my watch.

The ANT Agent is plugged in correctly. I have Windows 7 and I am using Firefox.  The updated one is 23.0.1.

Does anybody have any ideas on what I should do? Should I uninstall everything and reinstall it? Thanks.

alevansal

When this starts happening to me, it often means that I've too much history stored in my Garmin.  If you don't delete old runs/rides, try doing that.

I bought my 310XT a few weeks ago and have had the same problem a couple of times.  It does seem to happen when my history grows to 10+ activities, I have to remember to download the data every 2-3 days and wipe the history to keep the Garmin happy.

In terms of fixing it, the connection problem is due to a corrupted XML file (I can only assume the history bloat caused the file to be corrupted).  Both times I had to do the following to get things working again:

1. Locate the file, you can do a search in windows for a file called GarminDevice.XML which should be located at CUndecidedUsers\<USERNAME>\AppData\Roaming\GARMIN\Devices\<DEVICENUMBER>
        2. Rename the file so your Garmin can no longer find it.
        3. Do a hard reset on your Garmin (instructions here: http://support.garmin.com/support/searchSupport/case.faces?caseId={acd36fa0-7ac5-11e2-65d0-000000000000})
        4. Pair you Garmin with the Ant+ device
        5. When you've paired the device the a new GARMINDevice.XML file will be created.

Everything should work again now.  The problem with this is that the hard reset will delete your activity data.  I found that when I had the issue I was able to connect to the Garmin in order for it to automatically upload my data to the myGarmin site, then it would disconnect and failed to recognise the device when I tried to upload the data elsewhere.  This meant I had to export the data files from the myGarmin site and upload those to RA in order to plug the gaps.

Hope this helps, good luck!

djschroeder4

Thanks for all the help.  I couldn't find any .xml files on my computer (before or after I uninstalled everything) so I skipped to the master reset.  That worked and then when I paired the Garmin again, it was able to connect.

I suppose I need to start deleting my history much sooner as another person has mentioned that it was a problem.  At least it is uploading to RA and my other site now.

In terms of fixing it, the connection problem is due to a corrupted XML file (I can only assume the history bloat caused the file to be corrupted).  Both times I had to do the following to get things working again:

Hi, I'm having the same problem.  I will follow this procedure -- but please, where did you learn about the corrupted XML file?  Also, did you try just deleting the history rather than hard reset?  If so and that didn't work, do you have any idea why that didn't work?

MTA: fwiw, I tested a short "run" after deleting history, and got into the same mode: couldn't see 310 from either training center or RA, so I did do the hard reset, and after the short "run" test, am still connected.  Fingers crossed.

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

Thanks for all the help.  I couldn't find any .xml files on my computer (before or after I uninstalled everything) so I skipped to the master reset.  That worked and then when I paired the Garmin again, it was able to connect.

The files may be hidden.  In case you do need to locate them in the future you can do the following to unhide hidden files and folders (assuming you're using Windows 7):

1. Open a Windows Explorer Window
              2. Click on 'Organize' in the top left of the window
              3. Click on 'Folder and Search Options'
              4. Select the View tab in the Folder Options pop-up window
              5. Select the radio button for 'Show hidden files, folders and drives'

You should now be able to follow the entire file path as mentioned above.

Hi, I'm having the same problem.  I will follow this procedure -- but please, where did you learn about the corrupted XML file?  Also, did you try just deleting the history rather than hard reset?  If so and that didn't work, do you have any idea why that didn't work?

I found the info about the troublesome XML file on a Garmin forum, scroll down to post #7 to see the source of my info:

https://forums.garmin.com/showthread.php?43462-DeviceCapabilities-FIT-and-GarminDevice-XML-corrupted-after-connection-%28310xt-4-50%29

It's a shame that Garmin's technical staff didn't provide this solution, it took a tech savvy Garmin user to figure it out.  Worked a treat for my problem though.

I didn't try deleting just the history, I went the whole hog and did the hard reset.  I figured that if the cause of the problem is the corrupted .XML file and re-pairing the Garmin to the ANT+ device would result in a new .XML file being created it was probably best to take the Garmin back to it's factory default settings before trying it.

FWIW, I tried just deleting the history, and while the XML file was recreated it quickly got corrupted again.

Thanks again for this solution.

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

GregM

I completed steps 1-3 but am unable to pair my Garmin in step 4.  Any suggestions?  I tried uninstalling and re-installing the Garmin ant agent software, and that did not help.

1. Locate the file, you can do a search in windows for a file called GarminDevice.XML which should be located at CUndecidedUsers\<USERNAME>\AppData\Roaming\GARMIN\Devices\<DEVICENUMBER>
                    2. Rename the file so your Garmin can no longer find it.
                    3. Do a hard reset on your Garmin (instructions here: http://support.garmin.com/support/searchSupport/case.faces?caseId={acd36fa0-7ac5-11e2-65d0-000000000000})
                    4. Pair you Garmin with the Ant+ device
                    5. When you've paired the device the a new GARMINDevice.XML file will be created.

Everything should work again now.

Older, slower, and trying to keep up with Tall Dave.

eric :)

I completed steps 1-3 but am unable to pair my Garmin in step 4.  Any suggestions?  I tried uninstalling and re-installing the Garmin ant agent software, and that did not help.

Greg2,

What do you mean by "unable to pair" the Garmin?  The Ant Agent is not finding it?

Exchanged some messages with Eric this morning since i just got a new 310XT. Couldn't get the Garmin Communicator plugin to find my device. The ANT agent software "Device settings" was grayed out. I could upload to Garmin Connect but not to RA. The simple fix? Uninstall Garmin Express. Now, all is well. just figured I'd share in case someone has the same problem.

John Wood

I think it was the Garmin express software that was the issue.  I followed a Garmin prompt and installed express and then could no longer directly upload to runningahead.  In looking around a bit it seems as if Garmin express sends the log files directly to connect.garmin.com, unlike the ant agent, which sent the file to your PC first, then uploaded the file to Garmin connect.  So, a third party upload looking for the file on your PC doesn't see any new files.

Runslowalksalot

Thanks Greg2.  I was having the same problem.   I followed your instructions and it worked lime a champ.

I just purchased a 310xt last week, this was my problem as well.