2017 Sub 3 Marathons...and beyond! (Read 403 times)

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Finbad - Welcome back and nice 20 miler!

Marky - You didn’t allow enough time to recover from your marathon and starting speedwork and racing so soon after is always going to be risky. I don’t think there is any more risk of getting injured from marathon training compared to 10k/half training. Anyway good luck with the shorter stuff.

Kram - Hope you’re feeling better!

Cinnamon - They are speedy looking easy runs!

Swim - Good to see you back on track!

Matt - Great week!

My plan to basebuild in December didn’t happen so I’m a month behind schedule! I kept up the strength training so hopefully I’ll be ok for a quick build up.

Week 1 of 16...

Mon - 11 @ 8:33

Tue - 10 @ 8:43

Wed - 10 @ 8:02 (TM)

Thur - 10 @ 8:02 (TM)

Fri - 14 @ 7:47

Sat - 10 @ 7:54 (TM)

Sun - 12 @ 8:55

Total - 77

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

Marky_Mark_17

Mikkey- I don't think the training was the issue, just post-race fatigue.  The body was feeling OK, and I wasn't doing crazy mileage or efforts, but apparently sometimes for marathon runners and Ironmen it inexplicably turns to crap for a few weeks, circa 6-8 weeks after a race even with good recovery protocols!  The Omaha HM was probably pushing it but hell, I like training hard and racing frequently so I guess that's more my gig.

Swim - haha 130mpw is a pipe dream for me! Definitely not enough hours in the week.

Cinnamon - cheers!  Maybe I'll lurk with occasional interjections instead haha.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Maraetai HM, 10 Mar, DNF

Up next: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

weatherboy80

Fin: welcome back!!  Impressive LR.

Matt: Nice looking week.

Mark:  Good luck with the short stuff.  Just a different kind of pain Wink

Kram: Speedy recovery ...

Cinnamon: Solid week and paces there!

Swim: Nice way to ramp back up.  Onwards is right.

Mikkey: Nice consistent looking week there.  Looks like a solid base to me.

Well here is my latest week.  Just under 3 weeks for me so I'm officially in a bit of a taper period now.  Won't cut the mileage too drastically just yet as before Boston I felt a bit too sluggish in the final week (also battling a minor nagging injury) after a fairly big cutback so this time I'll step down by about 10-15 miles per week until cutting way back the last week  This will still leave me in the low to mid 70's for this week.  I'm already down ~15 miles or so from my peak volume week 2 weeks ago.  Highlight was certainly the workout yesterday where I was able to nail 13 solid miles -- 12 at just faster than MP (6:13-6:19) or so and 1 tempo at 5:45.  Don't plan on racing quite that fast (dependent on weather), but this was a nice confidence booster with 3 weeks to go.   Current thinking is to go out at around low 6:2x pace and then see how I feel come the middle miles.  Most of my marathon geared LR/workouts have been run right around that 6:20 pace or slightly faster so hoping I can handle that for 26.2!

Weekly Summary
        Monday, Jan 01, 2018 thru Sunday, Jan 07, 2018

<tfoot> </tfoot>
        Day Miles Pace Description Link
        Mon 10.2 7:48 Happy New Year strava
        Tue 12.2 8:03 EZ in the cold, wind, & rain + strides strava
        Tue 4.2 7:42 A few miles before dinner strava
        Wed 3.2 8:32 Warming up by falling off sidewalk strava
        Wed 7.5 6:34 Rainy & cold 3 X 1T + 4 X 1k progression strava
        Wed 3.4 8:16 Frozen cool down strava
        Thu 5.1 8:06 AM Recovery strava
        Thu 7.1 7:42 PM Miles strava
        Fri 9.2 7:12 Frozen Hi-Point strava
        Sat 5.2 7:33 Windy + strides strava
        Sun 18.2 6:39 3E + 6M + 1T + 6.1M + 2E strava
          85.5 7:28    

1mile: 4:46 (12/20) | 5K: 15:57 (3/21)  |  10K: 33:40 (4/20)  |  15K 51:43 (4/21) | HM: 1:15:03 (12/20)  |  FM: 2:40:30 (1/20)

slingrunner

Been mostly lurking here since running the Philly marathon in November, but will post once in a while and enjoying reading of others adventures.  I have no marathons on the horizon either (possibly in fall, or Boston 2019) but I am training for a 40 miler in early March, and a 50 miler in May.  Following my successful speed gains last fall, I'm trying to keep my mileage up, speedwork constant, and weight down (I went from 148 to 125 in about 4 months).

Right now my running has been unsteady because of shockwave treatments on my foot, which necessitates some time off after each treatment.  I've been doing way too many treadmill runs lately, including a 20 miler on Saturday... brutal for me even with splitting it into 5 mile chunks. Last week I was dealing with a painful male problem during a frigid windy run, and I actually ran about a mile backward to gain some protection from the wind.

5k- 18:55 (2018)    10K- 39:04 (2017)    Marathon- 3:00:10 (2018)

Watson, Marky: I hope you still post even if not targeting a marathon this year! If not I'll check in on you at the HM thread.

Finbad: Looking strong, welcome back.

Cinnamon: Nice week and as Mikkey said, speedy paces!

Swim: Steady does it and great job being diligent with all the strength work.

Mikkey: Great looking week. All double digit runs... reminds me of Calbears. Nice to see you on strava!

Weatherboy: That was indeed an epic long run on the weekend and shows, as your whole cycle has, that you are in 2:45 shape if Mother Nature cooperates!  Enjoy the start of the taper.

This was a recovery week for me. All easy miles. It worked out well since I was getting over a nasty cold from last week which would have made any hard running difficult. Only 2 non-treadmill runs but they were the two big ones so I preserved my sanity by keeping those outside. The long run was the coldest conditions I think I've ever run in, but with many layers, gloves + mittens, and a thick scarf it worked out ok. A heatwave is coming now; it will get above freezing this week!

Weekly Summary

<tfoot> </tfoot>
            Day Miles Pace Description Egain Link
            Tue 10.4 8:10 Morning Run on TM 0 strava
            Wed 15.3 7:43 MLR 852 strava
            Thu 10.0 8:12 Morning Run on TM 0 strava
            Fri 10.0 8:14 Afternoon Run on TM 0 strava
            Sat 8.0 8:21 Afternoon Run on TM 0 strava
            Sun 23.0 7:54 Long run 1017 strava
              76.7 8:02   1869  

2:52:16 (2018)

tn_weather

matt - Take care of that achilles. +1 on what strugglr said. I have had my share of dealing with that tendon. Looks like last week went well!

cinnamon - Nice pay day for a last minute decision. Edinburgh! That sounds fantastic. Start that 2018 already!

DoppleBock - Welcome!

flyrunnr - Maybe an Eagles/Patriots SB with a similar result as last time? Would that fly?  Nice weeks btw.

kramrunner - Hope that shin quiets down quickly. By my calculations it should be better already. (and swim's post)

Mikkey - Nice week of double digit runs.

weatherboy - Another great week in an impressive cycle.  That is an impressive LR.

sling - Shockwave treatments?

JT - Way to brave the cold on that 23 miler. Brrr.

Not a bad week. I am getting occasional shooting pains in my left heel/achilles complex that come and go. It doesn't seem like the fracture in the heel is an issue since running on it doesn't seem to be a problem...yet. Gave it a good test yesterday with a hard MLR. Felt like running in mud for a while with 6:50 pace feeling like 5:50. Things came around on the way back and felt halfway decent. Hammered the last mile while stopping to hold a battery terminal so a stranded motorist could start her car.

Weekly Summary

<tfoot> </tfoot>
              Day Miles Pace Description HR Egain Link
              Tue 8.1 7:43 8 mile easy run 123 118 strava
              Wed 8.1 7:27 8 mile easy run 129 121 strava
              Thu 4.6 7:39 4.5 mile cold run! 132 82 strava
              Thu 3.6 7:34 3.5 mile easy run 113 52 strava
              Fri 8.1 7:23 8 mile easy run 127 137 strava

Sun 12.1 6:37 Flagged down in the bike lane on Farmington during the middle of a sub 6 mile to hold a battery terminal to help someone start their car! 147 232 strava
                44.5 7:18        
              cinnamon girl

Sling: Welcome! Where do you live? A mile backward?!   That sounds pretty crazy .. it must have felt like a desperate situation!

Weatherboy: nice work!  Your plan for the next few weeks - and race day - sounds good. We will all be here cheering for you!

Mikkey: it's about damn time you got going! I was getting impatient. I see your updated sig. What's the London Half? I'll have to google. Run it before? Good race?

MarkyMark: occasionally interjecting would be appreciated by all no doubt.

JTReeves: a 23 miler in a 'recovery week'?   Nice elevation in that long run too. Good endurance building stuff.

TN: Sunday - nice! That's a great run. And so nice of you to stop and help the stranded motorist! I was thinking of starting the 2018 thread tonight but again it's late after another long day at work . . probably the same reason why no one else has got it started yet. We are all busy living (and trying to fit in our runs too!) Soon!

Matt: good week of running and bike commuting in the frigid temps!

tn_weather

cinnamon - Sorry - didn't mean to imply you (or anyone else) was not busy.   I know we are all juggling.

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Mikkey: it's about damn time you got going! I was getting impatient. I see your updated sig. What's the London Half? I'll have to google. Run it before? Good race?

https://www.thebighalf.co.uk   This is the first year and I managed to get a Good for Age entry (being a mature gentleman I only needed a Sub 1:35). Mo Farah (59:32 PR) and Callum Hawkins (60:00 PR) are both running it so it should be a good race! I’ve registered for a couple of other smaller halfs in late Feb and early April (ran them both last year and 2016)

JT - Great week and very impressive long run. Have you any tune up races planned?

Weatherboy - Great week as well and definitely looking good at 6:20 pace. I also do better with a steep taper and take it easy during the last week.

TN - I hope you paused your watch whilst patiently holding the battery terminal! Very nice overall Sunday pace.

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

JT - Great week and very impressive long run. Have you any tune up races planned?

Thanks Mikkey. I have a half marathon planned for Jan 28th. That will probably be it for tune up races, although I would like to get in an 8k or 10k time trial on the track as well if/when the snow clears up here.

TN: Nice week; the progression in that 12 miler looks great!  And kudos to you for being a good Samaritan and helping with the battery!

2:52:16 (2018)

weatherboy80

Thanks Mikkey - thinking I'll start out around 6:20-6:25 pace and go from there.  Goal is certainly now sub 2:50 for sure even if the training might indicate a touch faster - we'll see as marathons still can be fickle Smile

JT:  Solid looking week and a super solid LR in the cold.  Looks like you'll be running your 1/2 while I run my full.

TN:  Good looking week and a solid progression there on Sunday!

1mile: 4:46 (12/20) | 5K: 15:57 (3/21)  |  10K: 33:40 (4/20)  |  15K 51:43 (4/21) | HM: 1:15:03 (12/20)  |  FM: 2:40:30 (1/20)

Swim5599

Threads kinda dead ill blame mikkey ha ha.

Got an 35 Miles in with some additional aqua jogging.  I hired a new coach he ripped me a new one for running everyday so soon after In the injury so I decided he’s probably right.  He’s talked at length about how I’ve under performed at the marathon and it’s because the other systems haven’t developed enough so that’s the plan moving forward.  The next race is The pretty competitive downtown flagstaff mile which is the only race up here on pavement.  I might qualify for the elite field which is hilarious but we will see.  Targeting the sea level equivalent of about 4:55 or so   Which would be 5:10-5:13 ish.  Looked through the results and saw that Nick Arciniaga ran 5:01 last year.  He wasn’t nearly as fit as he usually is but that would be my dream scenario.  After that a half back in Chicago in October and then California International.  Looking forward to getting back into shape.  The coach says we’re going to grind and grind hard.  Love the sound of that.

HM: 1/17 1:18:53. FM: 12/18 2:46:04 

mattw4jc

globalexenviro

Very good and interesting information. Thank you for sharing this Landscaping Services Dubai and i hope you add more detailed information about the topic.