Ive become a secret runner. (Read 337 times)

Runslowalksalot

My wife and  I both run.  But there  are times when she either can't or doesn't, and it gets to her.    So on those days I simply "forget" to tell her that I ran.    It's pointless and counterproductive to my happiness to let her know how much I enjoyed a run on a day that she blew it off.    She's no slouch, a veteran of many 13 ers and 2  1/2 irons.  

I initially starts  running as cross training to my stand  up paddling, but more and more I've found excuses to run instead of paddle, even with the biggest paddle race of the year coming up.    Dont get me wrong, I love the  the water, but seem to be more concerned with meeting my goal of 2 hrs in a local 1/2 that I didn't make last year do to Diaphragm cramp than doing well in this paddleboard race.

I secretly want to do a marathon, but am afraid that the time commitment would seriously detract from my 1st love, surfing.     Good surf can come at any time, and missing it  due to a key training run is not something I care to repeat as I did during my last 1/2 training  program.    And  SUP surfing is the equivalent of a heavy weight  day in the gym.  It will give You legs of steel, but tough to do after a run and a no no  before anything other than an easy run.

Point being, I  LOVE running, especially since I started my low hr training.  I can run farther,longer, with less recovery time between runs, and more time in my fat burning zone.

As much as   I enjoy sharing my good run experiences,I find it increasingly easy to keep my secret running miles from my wife, even sneaking in a few miles at lunch.    I just need more hours in the day to play!

#artbydmcbride

<shakes head>  you need to let her know about your runs.  Don't gush and go on and on, but don't hide your mileage.  It may spur her to get out there more, and it is just healthier for your relationship!

Runners run

jfa

If she's like most wives,

a> she knows exactly what you're up to, and

b> she's probably happy to get you out of the house

Feeling the growl again

If she's like most wives,

a> she knows exactly doesn't care what you're up to, and

b> she's probably happy to get you out of the house

FIFY

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

SheCan

Runslowalksalot, the secret's out.  I sent your wife an email.  She's pissed that you're getting more miles than her, sorry.

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

Start smoking crack. She'll be so concerned about that you'll totally get a pass on the secret running.

Mostly harmless

Keeping any kind of "secret" from your wife will have a negative impact on your marriage. She will find out eventually and then something that should be a positive (running) will suddenly become a negative (sneaking around).

She is your wife. Talk to her.  Even if it is just to say that you noticed she gets bummed out when she misses runs so sometimes you run without her without mentioning it.

"It doesn’t matter how often you do it or how much you accomplish, in general, not running is a lot easier than running." - Meb Keflezighi

SheCan

Keeping any kind of "secret" from your wife will have a negative impact on your marriage. She will find out eventually and then something that should be a positive (running) will suddenly become a negative (sneaking around).

She is your wife. Talk to her.  Even if it is just to say that you noticed she gets bummed out when she misses runs so sometimes you run without her without mentioning it.

You're a smart person, notScott!  Though I will say, hiding running miles is less grievous than other sins.  ;-)

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

BeeRunB

Secret running is an unpredictable mistress. Don't ignore her.

Runslowalksalot

She's doing the Quintiles 1/2 tomorrow, I'm happy! Smile     The big factor is not miles really, but weight loss.   In her mind all I have to do is get determined and I can lose weight; I've lost 24 lbs since October, but it was HARD work.   She, no matter what she does cannot seem to lose the weight.   We both started LHRT in January, but she quit after abut a month of limited success, whereas I stuck with it till a couple of weeks before my 1st 5k, which gave me an over 40 PR.  I lost weight while straining strictly in my fat burning zone and backing off the beer while keeping up the gym work so as not to lose too much muscle. Chocolate is more addictive for her than beer is for me.  That's the real problem.

SheCan

I hope she rocks that Half!   That'll certainly give her more confidence.

Now back to what notScott said about hiding things.  You know, with this added information, hiding your extra work, is probably making her more frustrated.  As you said, it looks like you're losing weight without even trying.  She might be a little pissed that you're able to get out there when she can't but, I can say as a wife, it's still better than thinking that everything comes so easily to you.  Anyway, that's just my take on things...  Good luck to both of you in your fitness goals though!

Cherie

SillyC

The big factor is not miles really, but weight loss.   In her mind all I have to do is get determined and I can lose weight; I've lost 24 lbs since October, but it was HARD work.   She, no matter what she does cannot seem to lose the weight.

Ah, well, I don't know what's going on with you guys, but for women, it IS harder to lose weight....  our bodies hang on to fat desperately so as to protect our future children.  And upping exercise and cutting down on the beer typically won't do it for us.

I run ultras, and my husband runs 5ks.  I track my calories with myfitnesspal.  Even though my mileage is about 3 times higher than his is, he gets to eat more than I do.  It's not faaaaaaaaaair.  Waaaaah!

So it may help more to become a secret snack-eater than a secret runner.  I ask my husband to keep the chips in the basement.

Ah, well, I don't know what's going on with you guys, but for women, it IS harder to lose weight....  our bodies hang on to fat desperately so as to protect our future children.  

Yes. And after you've had them it hangs on to it even more, you know, just in case or something. We just can't  win.

Here we are, the two of us together
                              Taking this crazy chance to be all alone
                              We both know that we should not be together
                              'Cause if they found out, it could mess up
                              Both our happy homes

I hate to think about us all meeting up together
                              'Cause soon as I looked at you, it would show on my face, yeah
                              Then they'll know that we've been loving each other
                              We can never no, no, no, no, we can't leave a trace

Sittin' at home I do nothing all day
                              But think about you and hope that you're okay
                              Hoping you'll call before anyone gets home
                              I'll wait anxiously alone by the phone

How could something so wrong be so right?
                              I wish we didn't have to keep our love out of sight, yeah
                              Living two lives, just ain't easy at all
                              But we gotta hang on and after fall

Secret lovers runners, yeah that's what we are
                              Trying so hard to hide the way we feel
                              'Cause we both belong to someone else
                              But we can't let it go 'cause what we feel
                              Is, oh so real, so real, so real

You and me, are we fair?
                              Is this cruel or do we care?
                              Can they tell that's in our minds?
                              Maybe they've had secret love all of the time

In the middle of makin' love, we notice the time
                              We both get nervous 'cause it's way after nine
                              Even though we hate it, we know it's time that we go
                              We gotta be careful so that no one will know

Secret lovers runners, yeah, that's what we are
                              We shouldn't be together but we can't let it go
                              'Cause what we feel is, oh so real
                              So real, so real, so real, so real

Yeah, well...sometimes nothin' can be a real cool hand.