How much should I run this week? (Read 212 times)

What would be a good time in 5K for 35-39 age group?

Slo

I heard those color runs are good times.

Not sure what you are really looking for as far as an answer...I'd personally consider anything under 21 minutes to be a "good" time for that age group.

But that really doesn't mean squat.

If that log is accurate, any running you might do this week will only hurt the ball club.

I too think a Sub 21 is a good time, but only because I have not run a 5K that starts with 21 something yet.

Gang Name "Pound Cake"

Sub 21? What are you guys smoking? He has no training or fitness and is 230 lbs. He has only run a few times and few miles (18 miles for the year). His log seems to be missing time data so it's hard to say how fast he is but he'll likely have a heart attack trying to run that fast. I admit that I'm slow, but I've been running for a few months and I'm around 40 miles a week. I'm hoping to go sub 21 around the end of the year but I'm at about 23:30 now. I would think that 25 and change would be more appropriate.

This all assumes he isn't a troll and is really just a beginner doing his first race on zero training.

If that log is accurate, any running you might do this week will only hurt the ball club.

I too think a Sub 21 is a good time, but only because I have not run a 5K that starts with 21 something yet.

- Scott

2014 Goals: First Marathon - BQ2016 <3:40 (3:25:18) - 1/2M <1:45 - 5K <22:00

2014 Marathons: 05/04 Flying Pig (3:49:02) - 09/20 Air Force (BQ 3:25:18) - 11/01 Indianapolis Monumental

Slo

Sub 21? What are you guys smoking? He has no training or fitness and is 230 lbs.

He asked what a good time for the 35 - 39 age group would be...I stand by my sub 21.

I could assume he is asking about himself and at that point I'd have no answer.

He asked what a good time for the 35 - 39 age group would be...I stand by my sub 21.

If the question is in general then there really isn't a good answer.

At this race it would take <15:00 to crack the top 3 in M35-39:

http://www.coolrunning.com/results/13/nh/Jun13_Hollis_set1.shtml

But at this race a 22:00 would have won the M30-39 Age Group with half a minute to spare:

http://www.coolrunning.com/results/13/ma/Sep29_Topsfi_set1.shtml

If this is your first 5k, I would suggest not worring about what will be a good time for the AG and just get used to racing.

Go out at what you know you can handle from your training and try to pick up the pace as the race progresses.

Gang Name "Pound Cake"

Oh ya, I agree. Sub 21 would be a pretty good time, assuming it isn't what he is planning to try for himself on zero training. I'm 53 and want to get to sub 21 myself as the top 3 in my age group at smaller local races are typically sub 21.

- Scott

2014 Goals: First Marathon - BQ2016 <3:40 (3:25:18) - 1/2M <1:45 - 5K <22:00

2014 Marathons: 05/04 Flying Pig (3:49:02) - 09/20 Air Force (BQ 3:25:18) - 11/01 Indianapolis Monumental

I too suggested sub 21 as being a good time based on being able to place in that age group at most races around me and it being a goal of mine in the near term.

If this is the first 5K, then it's an automatic PR and its a good time for the runner isn't it? Until he goes out and improves on it, its the best he's got.

Running Chick

kevin, if it is your first 5k, then just go out with the goal to complete it.  a good time, for more elite/advanced runners is 21, and that's the number you see along this post.  that's a really good time.  it's just under 7 minute/miles.  but, i have been running for 40+ years, and i think the only time i hit sub 7min/miles was in my early 20s.  now, at a longer distance, i am averaging 8:30 min/miles for 12 mile runs........  just complete it, dude.  have fun with the experience, and  let us know how you did!

JimR

Yeah, but a home run every time up is nothing to sneeze at.

tom1961

Old , Ugly and slow

230 is a lot of pounds and I was over 215 early this year.

Don't start too fast.

first race sept 1977 last race sept 2007

2019  goals   1000  miles  , 190 pounds , deadlift 400 touch my toes

I ran 3 miles yesterday, my claves are a little sore this morning. My run is listed under home1 on the map. I ran it in 32 min. It is uphill and downhill.

I ran 3 miles yesterday, my claves are a little sore this morning. My run is listed under home1 on the map. I ran it in 32 min. It is uphill and downhill.

Based on that, don't go shooting for <21. If you felt comfortable while doing the 3 miles in 32:00 yesterday then 25:30 would probably be a good time for your 5k. If you felt like you were pushing it close to race pace then expect to be closer to 28:00-29:00.

That's about how fast I ran my first 5k. Big grin Good luck with yours!

5K: 33:21 (2013)