Scatter plot not showing all entries (Read 45 times)

Not dead. Yet.

I have a scatter plot that shows each workout's pace over the date.  It works great to show me how my pace is improving.

I've noticed that it will not graph points below 8/min/miles.  I have lots of workouts below that pace, but the graph doesn't update accordingly.  I've tried recreating the graph a few times with different options.  I also thought that a few of the outliers might be limiting the range of the graph, but I tested ranges around the outliers and it still wouldn't show a pace below 8 min/mile.

Am I doing something wrong?

How can we know our limits if we don't test them?

Not to pile onto the graphs (because I don't generally use them on here but started playing with them because of the original post) but if all of your workouts of a given type that you graph fall between integer min/mile markers it can give you a graph that's not particularly useful:

http://www.runningahead.com/logs/37042b4aefd24d4f91c6949a626dbaf7/reports/graph?e10=10&e11=3&e12=40&x=12&y=200&t=3

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

npaden

Mine doesn't have anything showing up for under 8:00 pace either, but thinking it through it is plotting each day and although I have individual workouts that were under 8:00 pace (races), I had warm up and cool downs before and after them that would have brought the average pace for that day up over 8:00 pace.

Pretty interesting looking at the graph you can see over the last few months that I've been doing a lot of work around marathon pace and a lot of easy miles, it's almost like 2 separate lines for each.

http://www.runningahead.com/logs/17b912e64ad246e9bbe4a270366a97f6/reports/graph?e12=42&e10=10&t=3&x=12&y=200

Current PR's:  Mara 3:14:36* (2017); HM 1:36:13 (2017); 10K 43:59 (2014); 5K 21:12 (2016)

Mine doesn't have anything showing up for under 8:00 pace either, but thinking it through it is plotting each day and although I have individual workouts that were under 8:00 pace (races), I had warm up and cool downs before and after them that would have brought the average pace for that day up over 8:00 pace.

That's the key right there...the x-axis on the original plot is "Calendar: Date" not "Workout" so individual workouts are not plotted, just average pace for that day. If you assign a workout type (such as intervals or races) those <8min/mile workouts show up.

eric :)

sdizazzo,

npaden beat me to it.  You are grouping the data into days.  When you group the data into days, weeks or months, the y-axis value will either be summed (e.g. distance or duration) or averaged (pace, weight, or heart rate).  What you want is to leave the group by option blank, which would produce a graph of all workouts.

eric Smile

npaden

I don't see an option for not grouping it?  If you select calendar date for the X axis, it is going to group it by day right?

Current PR's:  Mara 3:14:36* (2017); HM 1:36:13 (2017); 10K 43:59 (2014); 5K 21:12 (2016)

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Pretty interesting looking at the graph you can see over the last few months that I've been doing a lot of work around marathon pace and a lot of easy miles, it's almost like 2 separate lines for each.

http://www.runningahead.com/logs/17b912e64ad246e9bbe4a270366a97f6/reports/graph?e12=42&e10=10&t=3&x=12&y=200

True, your graph is more interesting than mine.

Not dead. Yet.

I had warm up and cool downs before and after them that would have brought the average pace for that day up over 8:00 pace.

Aha!  That makes sense.  I always do a warmup when I do those fast paces.  I would have never thought of that.

So I guess there is no way to see it on a per workout basis?  Either way it still gives me the overall view I was looking for.  No need to see specific workouts.  It should still trend downward.  I guess I just wanted to see those low numbers and see how many were popping up in relation to the others.

eric :)

I haven't worked on that part of the site for so long that I forgot its capabilities.  There is currently no ungrouped option.  However, I've made the change in the code to allow the workouts to be graphed individually.  It will be available in the next day or two.

eric Smile

npaden

True, your graph is more interesting than mine.

Lol.  It is pretty interesting to see for me anyway.  I can look at the graph and pretty much tell you exactly what was going on to cause the spots to hit where they did.

Early in 2012 the dots are all over the place as I was doing my own thing and trying to run some easy miles and do some Tempo runs and a bunch of other stuff mixed in getting ready for my first half marathon at the end of April.

May 2012 rolled around and I started focusing on base building and put in a ton of easy miles focusing on low HR running.  The only dots off the easy pace are a few local races that I ran.

September 2012 I switched my focus to a goal 5K race and still had some easy miles, but had a lot of speedwork that was somewhat unfocused and there are lots of dots under the 9:00 pace line.

January 2013 I started following the Hansons marathon plan with a heavy focus on marathon pace and easy running.  That's where you start to get the 2 lines with 1 right around 10:00 pace and the other just under 9:00 pace.

Pretty neat.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Lol.  It is pretty interesting to see for me anyway.  I can look at the graph and pretty much tell you exactly what was going on to cause the spots to hit where they did.

Early in 2012 the dots are all over the place as I was doing my own thing and trying to run some easy miles and do some Tempo runs and a bunch of other stuff mixed in getting ready for my first half marathon at the end of April.

May 2012 rolled around and I started focusing on base building and put in a ton of easy miles focusing on low HR running.  The only dots off the easy pace are a few local races that I ran.

September 2012 I switched my focus to a goal 5K race and still had some easy miles, but had a lot of speedwork that was somewhat unfocused and there are lots of dots under the 9:00 pace line.

January 2013 I started following the Hansons marathon plan with a heavy focus on marathon pace and easy running.  That's where you start to get the 2 lines with 1 right around 10:00 pace and the other just under 9:00 pace.

Pretty neat.

Yes, focus is what that graph depicts.  Smile

Not dead. Yet.

I haven't worked on that part of the site for so long that I forgot its capabilities.  There is currently no ungrouped option.  However, I've made the change in the code to allow the workouts to be graphed individually.  It will be available in the next day or two.

eric Smile

Thanks, Eric.  I'll keep an eye out for it.