Going for sub 40 on Sun (Read 588 times)

Slow-smooth-fast

I am finally going for the elusive sub 40 on Sun, not 100% sure of the course, but heard it is relatively fast. The thing is I am unsure about how to go out on this one. I mean, I wanna go under 40, as this has been my goal for 2008, but I dont know what aort of pace to go at it, as looking at my previous race results, I wonder if I can actually go quicker than that, like sub 39 or something? Should I just go for 6:26 pace for the first 5k, and then see if I have anything to push the pace after or do you guys think I can afford to go out faster by looking at my recent race times? I will post my result, hopefully the one I have been searching for.

"I've been following Eddy's improvement over the last two years on this site, and it's been pretty dang solid. Sure the weekly mileage has been up and down, but over the long haul he's getting out the door and has turned himself into quite a runner. He's only now just figuring out his potential. Consistency in running is measured in years, not weeks. And over the last couple of years, Eddy's made great strides" Jeff 14 Jan 2009

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Good luck, Eddy!
        If you want to lock up sub-40 your best bet is definitely to go out on pace (6:26), then give it your best during the 2nd half of the race. Trying to bank time is not a good strategy, although it is natural instinct for most runners to want to do it (including me). That being said, the 4-miler you just ran says that you should be comfortably under 40, so you can probably get by with a quicker start. Now I am going to lay a pet peeve on you, which is recording race results in Garmin time. In the majority of cases I will trust the course measurement over a Garmin measurement. If the course is certified I will trust it over Garmin 99% of the time. Garmin almost always says we ran farther than we acutally did (I have a 205). Good luck in your race. I like your chances of getting that sub-40.
        Age 60 plus best times: 5k 19:00, 10k 38:35, 10m 1:05:30, HM 1:24:09, 30k 2:04:33

Slow-smooth-fast

I think for the first 3half I may go out in about 6:20 pace, and then speed up if I have some in reserve. I feel very confident bout it. I like having a race plan, it really helps.

"I've been following Eddy's improvement over the last two years on this site, and it's been pretty dang solid. Sure the weekly mileage has been up and down, but over the long haul he's getting out the door and has turned himself into quite a runner. He's only now just figuring out his potential. Consistency in running is measured in years, not weeks. And over the last couple of years, Eddy's made great strides" Jeff 14 Jan 2009

Just Be

I'd go for even pacing as close as possible. 6:26 pace until the last 2 miles and then push the pace if you feel capable, but careful not to push so hard that you crash.

Slow-smooth-fast

Yeah I definitely dont want to crah and burn. I will go out at just under 40 pace, and see how I feel towards the latter for a negative split. I know it is gonna hurt!!!

RunAsics

The Limping Jogger

I think for the first 3half I may go out in about 6:20 pace, and then speed up if I have some in reserve. I feel very confident bout it. I like having a race plan, it really helps.
                My plan in April was a 6:20 1st mile then take it from there. Seemed a safe pace to start given my recent race performances. It was a good plan; however, I had a bad day and didn't get much faster.

"Only a few more laps to go and then the action will begin, unless this is the action, which it is."

Slow-smooth-fast

Unfortunately due to untimely injury had to give it a miss. Achilles niggling me and I didnt want to shoot for PB with this at the back of my mind. Had to rest weekend. Instead had a weekend of over indulgence. Feel fat and unfit now. Back to it by Wed hopefully. Blush