Running on a cruise ship? (Read 1234 times)

those things should have treadmills on the deck.  a 20-knot headwind would keep you cool. 

those things should have treadmills on the deck.  a 20-knot headwind would keep you cool. 

Hey it's the 100 year anniversary of Titanic. 

The only way I would ever go on a cruise ship is if it was totally free and the ultimate destination was somplace awesome.

As a close friend told me, there are only 3 types of people who go on cruises.   The overfed, the newlywed, and the nearly dead.

No thanks, and I'm into food, but can think of a million other things to do with my time then being stuck on a ship hotel.   

Maybe kids would like it though.

- Anya

IMKY13 finish!!

This was the cruise I went on a couple of years ago:

http://www.gammcruise.com and it was awesome!!!

The first in our series of runs was on the deck of the cruise ship (3 miles).  The next three runs where in each of the ports:  10 miles in Juneau (1800 feet up in 5 miles and 1800 back down); 6.2 miles in Sitka and 7 mniles in Ketchikan for a total of 26.2 miles.  It was by far the best vacation I've ever done.  The runs were a lot on trails, so got to see parts of Alaska that most passengers didn't see.  It was a blast...I highly recommend it!!!

Fitness/weight goals for 2014

1) STAY INJURY FREE!!!

2) Get to 189 lbs by the end of July 2014...and stay there (as of 4-25-14 was at 203 lbs)

3) Complete Ironman Chattanooga in under 14 hours

4) Break 4 hours in a stand alone marathon (Goal race=Rocket City 12/13/14)

5) 4,500 total overall miles for the year:

Swim: 100 miles

Bike: 3,000 miles

Run: 1,400 miles

The first in our series of runs was on the deck of the cruise ship (3 miles).  The next three runs where in each of the ports:  10 miles in Juneau (1800 feet up in 5 miles and 1800 back down); 6.2 miles in Sitka and 7 mniles in Ketchikan for a total of 26.2 miles.  It was by far the best vacation I've ever done.  The runs were a lot on trails, so got to see parts of Alaska that most passengers didn't see.  It was a blast...I highly recommend it!!!

Running in SE Alaska is pretty awesome for sure.  

- Anya

uncontrollable

Just dealt with this in March.  The track is pure insanity unless maybe you are running 2 - 3 miles at the most ... WAY to small & loaded with random people walking & weaving - and unless crack of dawn - lots of blazing sun & quite windy.

I opted for treadmill - thought the gym was 24/7 and annoyed when the 1st day I went down at 5:30 to beat crowds and it was closed.  Back down an hour later and not one treadmill available.  I will say after day 2 of the cruise - always a treadmill available - people's determination apparently goes overboard quickly.

I did feel movement & actually slightly lost footing several times ... you get used to it - but it was weird.  Not so bad unless I was doing speedwork.  I had a 20 miler to do - painful on the treadmill & people DEF thought I had some kind of problem.  People around me were averaging 20-30 minutes  so a lot of people came & went while I was chugging away.

I liked the post someone put about running down the long hallways!  Keeping in mind staff & guests may pop out of their room at any time ... it is a good idea if you are not running like a damn maniac.  If you did that on every flood - it would be interesting - the stairs would be a little 'hillwork' and then if you wanted - you could finish on the actual track to cool off!

The one thing I LOVED on my ship - tons of water readily available at the gym - some w/ lemon in it ... or the usual water cooler ... nice.

Getting on & off the ship to drop off or get what you need takes a few minutes: passports, scanning, lines etc...other than that - for the most part - they dock in safe areas - I would ask the staff about the radius because they are usual well informed & also do not want media attention for a patron who was 'attacked' or hurt during port of call ... so they will steer you in safe directions.  I carry pepper spray, regardless, nobody needs to know - it's in my pocket - and it's better than having no option if you are caught off guard.

Good luck & have fun!

peace

Gang Name "Pound Cake"

Cozumel (and Cancun) are probably two of the safer tourist spots in Mexico.  Or so I was told by the person who did the research for an upcoming family vacation...that I still don't want to go on.  Wink

My brother is a retired detective who used to track the drug mules coming up from Mexico. He said that virtually all the tourist resorts and fancy hotels in Mexico are owned by drug families and that the nice waitress serving you coffee and the maid making up your room,  are paid informants to the drug dealers. They are paid to look for US law enforcement and those with money (the former to kill and the later to kidnap).

He said that you couldn't pay him to vacation there as it is very dangerous.

- Scott

2014 Goals: First Marathon - BQ2016 <3:40 (3:25:18) - 1/2M <1:45 - 5K <22:00

2014 Marathons: 05/04 Flying Pig (3:49:02) - 09/20 Air Force (BQ 3:25:18) - 11/01 Indianapolis Monumental

Why is it sideways?

On Cruises. (The pdf takes a little while to load.)

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Dude's not a very good writer, is he?

Why is it sideways?

Dude's not a very good writer, is he?

Heh. Hey Trent!!

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Hey it's the 100 year anniversary of Titanic. 

The only way I would ever go on a cruise ship is if it was totally free and the ultimate destination was somplace awesome.

As a close friend told me, there are only 3 types of people who go on cruises.   The overfed, the newlywed, and the nearly dead.

No thanks, and I'm into food, but can think of a million other things to do with my time then being stuck on a ship hotel. 

I wouldn't even do it for free.  I'd rather stay home.  I don't like crowds, cheezy entertainment, traveling on a strict schedule, cramped living spaces, viral hell that spreads easily on ships (they don't call the Noro virus "the cruise ship virus" for nothing), or the fact that they dump trash at sea.  Cruise ships really sound kinda like a level of Hell, to me.  To each his/her own.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Dog-Love

Our running club probably suppoted some of your runs! Well there is one crusie boat that comes in full of runners and we assist them in a HM.  Some days in Juneau there are 5 cruise ships with >14,000 people combined.  That's almost half our population.  I am always surprised more of the cruisers don't run our trail systems.

Run like you are on fire! 5K goal 24:00 or less (PR 24:34) 10K goal 50:00 or less (PR 52:45) HM goal 1:55:00 or less (PR 2:03:02) Marathon Goal...Less than my PR (PR 4:33:23)
                        AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

I have heard upscale adult U.S. citizens
                          ask the ship's Guest Relations Desk whether
                          snorkeling necessitates getting wet, whether
                          the trapshooting will be held outside, whether
                          the crew sleeps on board, and what time the
                          Midnight Buffet is.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

I do not recommend running on the deck if it is being resurfaced while your cruise is in progress.  Even if it is a very nice, .33 mile track with a lovely view of the water, only a few walkers, and a couple of other runners.  Dodging equipment over and over again can lead to a sprained ankle, followed by a loud scream, potentially expensive medical treatment that is declined, a cane, a wheelchair, and no running at all.

Otherwise, enjoy the run.

alevansal

I actually just spent several days at an all-inclusive resort in Cozumel last month.  I had done an Internet search for places to run, and several folks suggested the "old road."  So, I found it and ran it (it just happened to be our resort was on it).  Very little traffic and very safe running (along with some nice views of the ocean).  Evidently, it's not hard to get to it from port - basically, go to the end of the dock and then turn right (south) and you'll eventually come across it.  It runs right along the western coast of Cozumel, whereas the new highway is several hundred meters further inland.  It is hot and very humid though, so be prepared for that.

I've included a link to a map that shows how you would get to the "old road" from the cruise ship port.  You do have to run along the main road for a mile or so, but there's a side walk.  And then once you get to the "old road", it goes on for several miles.

http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=5524502