How many running shoes (active) in your closet? (Read 194 times)

AndyTN

Overweight per CDC BMI

So I had a fellow runner tell me the other day she had three pairs of shoes in her rotation and I was shocked because she used to be a serious marathoner. I did an inventory check of my closet and I had 14 pairs of running shoes. 11 are Brooks and 3 are New Balance. 11 are road, 2 are trail, and 1 cross country.

So which of us are the odd ball? How many pairs of running shoes do you run in? I don't mean worn out shoes delegated to grass mowing because I would add at least another 4 pair.

Memphis / 38 male

5k - 20:39 / 10k - 43:48 / Half - 1:34:47 / Full - 3:38:10

an amazing likeness

I'd bet two things.

1. That the distribution is a bell curve...

2. She's way closer to the center than you are...

(you ought to make this a poll...)

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

Marky_Mark_17

7 I actually use fairly regularly (5 Saucony, 1 NB, 1 Nike)

3 I might use occasionally if the mood takes me (1 Mizuno, 1 NB, 1 Hoka)

3 pairs for races - road (Nike), track (Nike), trail (Salomon).

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr, 1:15:48

Up next: Runway5, 4 May

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

mikeymike

Currently 2. One road and one trail.

Even when I was a "serious" runner I rarely had more than about 4 and that included a pair of flats and a pair of spikes.

Runners run

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Nike ZoomX Invincible x 2

Skechers GoRun Ultra

Hoka Stinson Evo  (these are over 10yo now and still feel great, but look absolutely enormous!)

Nike React Infinity x 2

Saucony Endorphin Speed

NB FuelCell Prism

Nike cheater shoes

Total - 9

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

Currently 2. One road and one trail.

Even when I was a "serious" runner I rarely had more than about 4 and that included a pair of flats and a pair of spikes.

Same. Now that I'm essentially post-pandemic jogalog maintenance sanity only running retired, I have 1 pair for the road.

When I was "serious" I had one of each (road, trail, spikes, flats).

Come all you no-hopers, you jokers and rogues
              We're on the road to nowhere, let's find out where it goes
              Fredford66

Waltons ThreadLord

My number varies.  I classify my shoes as easy/long, speed/strength, race, and trail.  At any time I might have two active pairs of a particular type as one gets old and I start bringing in a new pair.  That puts me in the 4 - 7 range, though usually I'm around 5 active pairs.

5k 23:48.45 (3/22); 4M 31:26 (2/22); 5M 38:55 (11/23); 10k 49:24 (10/22); 
                10M 1:29:33 (2/24); Half 1:48:32 (10/22); Marathon 4:29:58 (11/23)

Upcoming races: Clinton Country Run 15k, 4/27; Running is Back 10k, 5/12

Three: 2 rotated for daily training, of any type, and one pair of Vaporflys reserved for racing. I used to wear higher-mileage race shoes for speed workouts, so I’d have 4. Not currently doing that, since I am on my first pair of Vaporflys, and they stopped making my previous race shoe. 

I don’t like trying new shoes, unless forced to do so. Since I started running consistently in 2012, I’m on my 23rd pair of Brooks Adrenalines. With one of the releases they changed something that made them not fit properly, but going up a half size fixed it. When I started rotating after a year or two, my second shoe was the Brooks Ravenna. Went through 10 pair of those, but then with one of the releases they started giving me a pain at the top of my foot. I couldn’t wear them anymore, and switched to the Brooks Ghost. I’m on my 16th pair of those. Brooks really ought to be giving me some kind of frequent runner mile rewards. I do live in their HQ city, so conveniently there is a Brooks Outlet store where I can always get discounted older models.

Dave

ViBe71

I have 17, two pairs will be retired this month. My DW says I have more shoes than she does 

Frequent Racer Group

PRs: 400m- 1:04.94 (2015) / 1M - 5:13 (2022 & 2023) / 5K -18:23 (2017) / 5M - 31:14 (2022) / 10K - 39:29 (2018) / 10M -1:05:11 (2023) / HM - 1:27:34 (2023) / FM -3:15:08 (2023)

Coming up:   Bookin for Lookin 10k (4/21/24), Broad Street 10M (5/5/24), YMCA 5k (5/11/24)

Half Crazy K 2.0

I use my closet for storing new shoes. There are currently 4 pairs there. I keep active shoes in the spare bedroom/gym and there are 12 pairs in there. DH complains about the shoes, I just point to the classic cars in the garage that take up way more space.

Altair5

Runs in the rain

I currently have 5 pairs in rotation. Since I rarely run more than 5 days a week that gives each pair a whole week to dry out and recover. All my shoes are New Balance since I have wide feet and NB has extra wide sizes with ample toe room.  I would not mine having a few more pairs and maybe set some aside for special conditions or races. Shoes are expensive for those of us on a limited budget, don't think I need 14 pairs!

Long distance runner, what you standin' there for?
                        Get up, get out, get out of the door!

zebano

My equipment log says 13

Spikes - 2 pair (I don't need both and haven't used either in 2 years)

Flats - 1 pair, never gets used

Super Shoes - 1 pair, I do all my races in them

Trail - 1 pair

Endorphin Speeds (long runs and speedwork) - 4 pair, 1 active 3 new in box

Easy runs  - 2 pair

Speedwork shoes that got supplanted by the Speeds - 2 pair

1600 - 5:23 (2018), 5k - 19:33 (2018), 10k - 41:20 (2021), half - 1:38:57 (2018), Marathon - 3:37:17 (2018)

Probably a dozen active shoes

Other than race shoes like flats and spikes, I have 4 high use trainers, 1 tempo/fast trainer, and 1 trail shoe that get regular use.

Weekly:

Endospeed2

Rebel2

SC Trainer

Bi-Weekly:

MaxRoad 4+

RC Elite2

Endospeed3

Stinson6

Once a month or less:

Speed Freek

Napali

Rebel1

Specialty/Seasonal but used:

Air Zoom Victory spikes

Victory XC spikes

GoMeb Speed6 and 5

Minimus Hi Rez

Extra pairs waiting their turn:

Endospeed2

Air Zoom Victory spikes

Not used anymore but usable and can't bring myself to get rid of them:

Green Silence, red/yellow and blue/blue pairs (both with less than 20-50 miles)

GoRun5

"yard shoes" or casual and hiking:

MaxRoad4+

Clifton 6

MaxTrail

Merrel goretex trail runners

60-64 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

Two. Ideally, I like to have three in rotation, but usually it is just two.

Wow, some of you have more shoes for running than I have footwear total for all purposes. LOL!

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

Currently a total of five.

Nike Invincible 1: Long Runs of 55 minutes or more.

Nike Pegasus 39 and Nike Vomero:  Runs of 25 to 40 minutes (usually on days with doubles)

Nike Vaporfly:  Races

Nike Lunaracer 3:  Road Intervals, Treadmill Intervals

I also have pair of Nike Streaks XC that I've used for some really fast track reps.