Stability shoe for bad knees (Read 74 times)

Bee2005

I'm in the market for some new shoes. I've been wearing NB 860s for a couple of years and they fit me well, but this last pair seems very stiff and my knees are not happy. Any suggestions for something a little more forgiving? I've heard good things about the Hoka Bondi but I'm pretty unfamiliar with Hoka and I'm very open to any suggestions.

Disclaimer- I wear custom orthotics and I need a wide-ish toe box if possible.

SMART Approach

Nike Air Zoom Vomero (nuetral) has always been real cushy but all feet are different. Maybe your knee issues are unrelated to your shoes??? If you have custom orthotics, always choose a nuetral shoe to prevent overcorrection which could lead to issues.

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

runmichigan

If you have a local running store I would strongly recommend you visit them.  A good local running store will talk to you about your concerns, do a gait analysis, and then bring out shoes from different brands for you to try.  You may pay a bit more at the local running store, but generally their advice and fitting are worth the few extra dollars.

MJ5

Chief Unicorn Officer

I'm in the market for some new shoes. I've been wearing NB 860s for a couple of years and they fit me well, but this last pair seems very stiff and my knees are not happy. Any suggestions for something a little more forgiving? I've heard good things about the Hoka Bondi but I'm pretty unfamiliar with Hoka and I'm very open to any suggestions.

Disclaimer- I wear custom orthotics and I need a wide-ish toe box if possible.

I usually need a stability shoe and I now wear the Hoka Bondi with a custom orthotic, and I love them. Highly recommend. But, it’s very individual.

Mile 5:49 - 5K 19:58 - 10K 43:06 - HM 1:36:54

Re-Run

Misinformation Officer

2nd this advice.  I drive 90 minutes to a fabulous running store.  Their service is amazing, and they've never steered me wrong.  If you're in an area that's not a "running town," it is worth it to drive somewhere to be fitted where they fit a LOT of runners.  My local "gym running triathlon store" does not do a comparable fitting job b/c it's just too small of a population for them to be any good at fitting different people.

If you have a local running store I would strongly recommend you visit them.  A good local running store will talk to you about your concerns, do a gait analysis, and then bring out shoes from different brands for you to try.  You may pay a bit more at the local running store, but generally their advice and fitting are worth the few extra dollars.

Runs like a dj mixing songs while wearing festive outfits.
            5k PR 5/31/21 24:21 

10k PR 5/23 54:43

HM PR 1/2024 1:59:10

Jim J

Runner

"Bad Knees" can mean a lot of things!  Stability shoes....why?  Who suggested them in the first place?  Why orthotics...was there an analysis of your foot placement that dictated the ortho?  Genetic defect of the foot or feet?  Lots of questions!  I'm a firm believer in foot placement being the single most important thing and a mid-foot strike will take care of most knee complaints.  If you are a heel striker...sorry....your doomed...unless you just happen to have perfect form and alignment...which most do not!  Proper foot placement will allow you to run in most shoes.  Just my 2 cents from a guy that's old and been running for well over 40+ years.

Jim J

Bee2005

Thanks for the replies!

I'm headed to a very reputable running store this weekend, which is why I asked this question. I've never been to this specific running store before (closest running store is an hour away from me) so I'm hoping they'll check my gait before they make a rec. I'm definitely okay with paying for a good fit, good brand, and good service.

I have patella tendinitis, diagnosed by MRI. I do cross training/strength training/specific PT and stretching multiple times weekly.

Custom orthotics were recommended by 5 different professionals (chiro, podiatrist, GP, sports med doc, and ortho)  after 10 months off due to foot issues. Orthotics made a world of difference and I've been running with little to no foot pain for the past 2 years as a result. I was told that the right shoe fit with the orthotic would be trial/error. I tried neutral shoes, but pronate to the point where I sometimes kick the inside of my ankles (ouch) and stability shoes seem to help. I've been running with stability shoes and custom orthotics for 18 months or so (neutral shoes before that).

I decided to shop for a new shoe brand after this current pair of NB feels very stiff/hard, and I'm noticing a lot of shin/lower knee aches that feel like they do usually when my shoes are wearing out. However these have only 200ish miles on them, and I usually get double that before needing a new pair. I haven't changed my training and I run nearly all my miles at a slow (for me) pace.

Bee2005

Forgot to add...I am a mid-foot striker.

DennisF6

Bondi 5 is my main shoe.  They work well for me.

However, Hoka does not call them stability shoes.  They are neutral.

No personal experience with these but FYI - here are the Hoka stability shoes

https://www.hokaoneone.com/stability-shoes/

JMac11

RIP Milkman

I used to have a lot of knee and hip issues after being told that as an overpronator, I needed stability shoes. I went to doctors, PT, etc. The only thing that fixed it was going to a lower drop shoe that was more neutral.

Note that you're going to be battling different things with different shoes. Stability shoes tend to help with foot and ankle issues, but wreak havoc in the knees and hips. The opposite is true with more neutral, low drop shoes. You need to figure out where you are stronger and go with that shoe.

I will also echo the comment on foot strike. I was a heel striker that had at cadence at best around 160. When I switched to the low drop shoes, I had to seriously work on getting my cadence up to 180 and getting more mid strike.

Shoes can solve some problems, but better running form is the first thing you should look at.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

I used to have a lot of knee and hip issues after being told that as an overpronator, I needed stability shoes. I went to doctors, PT, etc. The only thing that fixed it was going to a lower drop shoe that was more neutral.

Note that you're going to be battling different things with different shoes. Stability shoes tend to help with foot and ankle issues, but wreak havoc in the knees and hips. The opposite is true with more neutral, low drop shoes. You need to figure out where you are stronger and go with that shoe.

Same here. Shoes that tried to *fix* things were the cause of my knee problems, not the solution.

Bee2005

I'm shocked to say I ended up with Brooks Adrenaline's latest model. I used to run in them (maybe the 14's? 13's?) but then I disliked the changes they made and switched to NB. The guy at the running store highly recommended them, and I loved the fit and feel. I tried on the Hoka's but felt like I was going to fall backwards. It was bizarre. I'm very happy and can't wait to try them tomorrow! Thanks for the tips.