Stress Fracture -- Return to Running (Read 45 times)

HermosaBoy

I tried searching, but couldn't really find any stress fracture related topics that addressed this.

So, in 18 years of running lots of miles, was rarely injured and never had a stress fracture until 6 weeks ago.  A pretty good streak I think!!! Diagnosed with a 4th metatarsal stress fracture that came on really suddenly. I was told to wear a walking boot and then start the gradual return to running.

I have been released out of the boot and can walk this week and begin the return to run process next week. My question is, how should my foot feel? Truthfully I am a bit freaked out by this, but I just don't have any frame of reference.

And you can quote me as saying I was mis-quoted. Groucho Marx

Rob

Christirei

when i was coming back from a tibial stress fracture as i was walking or running i never had pain, and was told pretty firmly by my doctor to stop if there was ever pain. BUT it was occasionally achy or a little sore in the beginning and it definitely can verge on hurting when a storm is coming through. other than that, my  fracture site has been pain free

HermosaBoy

So pain as in sharp versus an ache?

And you can quote me as saying I was mis-quoted. Groucho Marx

Rob

an amazing likeness

Rob -- for me (tibial plateau fracture, twice) I made a hard rule of not running a single additional step if any pain came on during a workout. Hard stop. Walk home. No testing to see if it will go away.  To your point of 'ache' vs 'pain' -- I used the "ouch" or "wince" measure...if on foot plant, the knee made me wince or mutter ouch, that called for a shutdown.  As for throbbing or ache post workout -- that happened a lot. Lots of icing and days off. The hardest part was the uncertainty about whether an ache was telling me I was pushing too much, or just an ache.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

JMac11

RIP Milkman

I agree you need to be extra careful with a stress fracture. Normally, I will run through a pain 2 out of 10, sometimes 3 if I know exactly what it is and I'm just working through something. With a stress fracture, it was 1, which is "this isn't painful, but it feels off." That I would run through. Any throbbing ache, which I do remember when coming back from sfxs, I would stop.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

GinnyinPA

I had a pelvic sfx several years ago. After 4 months of not running (2 months of not running but still walking-- which was a mistake-- plus 2 months of complete non-weight-bearing), I started just walking for a month. Then I started a plan I found online that was for a return to running after a stress fracture. The first two weeks were fine, then the pain returned. I stopped completely and took another 6 weeks off. When i started again I was more conservative. There was no pain, just an occasional achiness. From time to time there would be a sharp pain but it didn't last, it just jolted me. I was able to build back my base mileage. I ended up with another injury because I hadn't addressed the imbalances that caused the sfx, but the original site was fine.

SMART Approach

I tried searching, but couldn't really find any stress fracture related topics that addressed this.

So, in 18 years of running lots of miles, was rarely injured and never had a stress fracture until 6 weeks ago.  A pretty good streak I think!!! Diagnosed with a 4th metatarsal stress fracture that came on really suddenly. I was told to wear a walking boot and then start the gradual return to running.

I have been released out of the boot and can walk this week and begin the return to run process next week. My question is, how should my foot feel? Truthfully I am a bit freaked out by this, but I just don't have any frame of reference.

Firstly, address the cause. Overtraining, gate analysis, weakness, nutritional deficiency (Vit D?). ??? I would only walk for first 2 weeks and gradually progress because you also have soft tissue atrophy/weakness from being immobilized. You don't need a new injury. Walking is a new stress so let soft tissue and bone adapt to it and bet stronger. If no set backs, then start a run/ walk routine with very gradual progression. Do this every other day to allow ample recovery and adaptation from pounding. Progress for 4 weeks. If no set back, then start back on a more normal routine but also be gradual for additional 4 weeks. This is a smart approach to recovery and always with caution. I hope you are doing some rehab as well. A lot of one leg work is in order starting with just standing and rocking on on one leg/foot.

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

chunmin89

The information from you shared is a vast knowledge and everyone should read to be more open-minded. I am very grateful for that. atari breakout