Training Blog for HM runners - all welcome (Read 984 times)

Wingz

Professional Noob

Yeah, the heat stinks, that's for sure! I don't know if it would help or not, but I was wondering if you took a t-shirt and soaked it with cold water _before_ your run and put _that_ on over like a sports bra, would that help any? Might be worth a try, anyway. If you're not too shy and wear a good sports bra underneath, you could always shuck the t-shirt if it's not helping... I'd also run my head under the sink (cool water) before starting out, as long as you're at it! Just an idea for you!

Roads were made for journeys...

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Hmmm...though I HATE the feel of cold, wet, cotton shirts--I almost think that would be worse than just sweating like a pig (which I have been doing just sitting still). Tongue k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Wingz

Professional Noob

picky picky picky... Tongue It's hot here too. Much as I hate running indoors on the TM, I love the AC...

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I'd just be happy with a TM and a fan pointed right at me...seriously. It's the sun and the intense heat on my skin that really kills me, Get rid of one factor and I could handle it better, I think.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Wingz

Professional Noob

Weekly check-in for HM training. Wow, what a good week! I had the usual argument with myself about weight training, and tried to put it off... only to remember what happened last week! So I went ahead and did it and was fine once I got started. You know, a lot of my procrastination things seem to be a lot like that - it's a huge deal until you get started, and then you wonder what the fuss was all about... As most of you probably know already, I had a GREAT 5K race this weekend. I've made a lot of progress this year. I want to share with everyone where I've come from and how it's going. These are my 5K times for this year: Date: Time: 1/14/06.....44:09 2/12/06.....43:48 4/8/06......40:08 5/6/06......39:10 6/10/06.....40:52 8/5/06......36:04 I want you to notice a couple of things. One, I started out really slow! Two, I kept training. Three, I kept racing. Four, I'm still here. And five, I'm getting better! This is my 12th month of running. When I started, I couldn't do the proverbial 30 seconds on the treadmill without gasping and wheezing. Now, I'm almost to the point where most people seem to start at. So it took me an extra year to get there! So what? I'm there now! For any other turtles out there like me, listen up! It CAN be done! It just takes a while... and lots of patience, time, and work. Hopefully your journey will go quicker than mine. But even if it doesn't remember we're on a long time-frame here - 8-10 years to get good. We don't have to be "good" this year, or even next... We just have to keep training the body we currently have, and doing the best we know how. There is a competitive racer in me. Maybe not a champion, but there is a competitor in there! She's just taking a while to work her way to the surface... But once she gets there, Watch Out, World!!!

bas

There is a competitive racer in me. Maybe not a champion, but there is a competitor in there! She's just taking a while to work her way to the surface... But once she gets there, Watch Out, World!!!
              That sounds cool! Keep at it! As for myself, I am planning on the HM in Amsterdam on oct 25, (same day as the Amsterdam Marathon). I ran it last year, it was my first half marathon. I was shocked about how hard it was, but I finished. I have run three more HMs since, and only during the last one did I *not* think 'Why am I doing this???' My training 'schedule' is nothing compared to the one you are using. That has to do with a minor injury (right knee) that should go away first (which I feel is happening, forunately). So for me it is one long run (45 mins to 90 mins) a week plus an interval + general workout training at my running club. Hopefully I can add to this by the end of this month - as I will need some more kilometers before racing 21,1 of them! As a stepping stone there is a 10 mile race in september that I also hope to run. With the preparation so far and with this knee thing I don't expect to be fast - but I will be very happy to run these races at all. Sleepy

52° 21' North, 4° 52' East

Wingz

Professional Noob

Oy, knee injuries are awful! You have my sympathy there! I've had knee "issues" for a long time - I've not since May and it's really been kind of a surprise that they've not complained more about what I'm doing than they have. Sounds like we'll be racing around the same time! Does it seem really close to you? I'm so worried that I won't be ready and I'll end up giving up in the middle of the race! I'm more worried about that than how I'll actually do! I think I'll be more confident once my "long" runs get a little longer than the 5 miles they're currently at...

bas

I'm so worried that I won't be ready and I'll end up giving up in the middle of the race!
                  That is excatly what almost but not quite happened in the first two half marathons I did. In the first one (last october) it became very hard after some 12 kilometers and extremely hard after 16... I kept telling myself 'Now to that building over there... Now to that corner... Now across that bridge...' and so on until the finish. During the second HM I seriously considered giving up. I had been sick earlier that week and it was cold and it rained... I promised myself I would run at least half the half marathon. And after that I told myself I might as well continue a little longer... It worked. (This is where the picture in 'my profile' was taken.) In both cases it gave me an incredible feeling of victory to finish at all. These were the toughest but also the best moments in my (short) running career. Yes Once you are past that point, you get to thinking 'I have done this before, so I should be able to do it again' - and that helps you to get better at it. Increasing the distance of your training runs will also help. The schedule you use seems very sensible to me. If cou can stick to that, more or less, the date in october should definitely not be too close.

52° 21' North, 4° 52' East

Wingz

Professional Noob

I'll try to remember the "just get to the next corner" trick and that it's not an experience unique to me! Thanks.

Wingz

Professional Noob

This will be my last post on this thread. I'm moving my training blog over to a new group: Half Marathon Trainers. It's in the "Training Groups" section of the user groups. Come join me there! www.runningahead.com/groups/hmt Janell