Running during a heat wave (Read 611 times)

Best Present Ever

10 miles this morning. 73 + 64 = 137

I'm not complaining.

That sounds downright pleasant.

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

My mantra to survive the "heat wave" here in Chicago is this: "pfft, not even a typical summer day in CVille."

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

8 miles at dusk. 95+70 at the start. 88+75 at the finish. Meh.

At least the sunset was pretty.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Feeling the growl again

8 miles at dusk. 95+70 at the start. 88+75 at the finish. Meh.

At least the sunset was pretty.

Monkeyville is in the shade.  If I ran outside it would be in full sun with 8ft corn on both sides fueling the humidity via transpiration.

Today I took a piece of stainless steel out of the house.  In 2 minutes it was raining condensation off the surface.

I'll take the treadmill for $500, Alex.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

I did not run in Monkeyville.

Many of the greenways around here have tall grasses and wildflowers, fields that create that same humidity tunnel effect. I think of your comments on this often when the steam exudes from them as I try to breathe.

Monkeyville is in the shade.  If I ran outside it would be in full sun with 8ft corn on both sides fueling the humidity via transpiration.

Feeling the growl again

I did not run in Monkeyville.

Many of the greenways around here have tall grasses and wildflowers, fields that create that same humidity tunnel effect. I think of your comments on this often when the steam exudes from them as I try to breathe.

I missed that in your log.  Details.  Wink

I welcome you to try a true corn canyon someday.  Grasses and wildflowers don't hold a candle to corn grown at >1ft/week on both sides of a narrow country road.  Never would have thought it prior to living here.

I actually route my runs differently each year, depending upon where they plant soybeans instead of corn.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

7 foot greens are pretty aggressively humid down here...

Grasses and wildflowers don't hold a candle to corn grown at >1ft/week on both sides of a narrow country road.  

Prince of Fatness

I missed that in your log.  Details.  Wink

I welcome you to try a true corn canyon someday.  Grasses and wildflowers don't hold a candle to corn grown at >1ft/week on both sides of a narrow country road.  Never would have thought it prior to living here.

I actually route my runs differently each year, depending upon where they plant soybeans instead of corn.

Plenty of corn here, but it's stupid for me to run near it when I have access to tree cover elsewhere.

However your theory may explain why I was drenched in sweat today despite the pleasant conditions. I ran the on the canal towpath. Plenty of shade but also tons of vegetation.

Not at it at all. 

pedaling fool

High heat training is the new altitude training.

One of many articles on high heat training http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/11/03/phys-ed-will-training-in-the-heat-improve-your-performance/?_r=0

Marylander

We're looking at MI of 174 later today (97+77). I managed to make myself wake up and get straight out the door yesterday for my 10 miler and was still really miserable by half way. I have really been dragging all summer. My daughter, who is about 7" shorter and 60 lbs lighter, is not nearly so impacted. We can run together just fine when it's cooler out but I'm too slow for her to tolerate in the heat. Wink

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

How about 67F this morning!

Wing

Joggaholic

That's how it works. Last couple days, I've lost ~ 1 lb per mile run as sweat. That means that over a 4 mile run, I sweat out a half gallon. It sucks, but it acclimates and strengthens you for a fall running season.

And always remember the Misery Index. Temperature + Dew Point. If it is above 140, it is miserable. Above 150 truly sucks. Above 160 is dangerous. Most of this week around here it has been ~165. Makes running awesome. Not. But it does make the post-run beer all the more wonderful. 

Yesterday's long run in Austin started at 79+75 = 154. The first 18 miles were along mostly shaded trail so it actually wasn't too bad, mainly because we went super-slow. Then the next 10 miles were mostly in the open, and we ended at 95+71 = 166, that was not fun. My training partner was not happy in the last 5 miles. We saw an older runner lying on the pavement along the way, some other runners were already attending to him, we gave him some of our water to drink and wash his face and neck to cool down. It appeared he didn't have any water with him, and neither did some of the other runners who stopped to help (one of them did have a small bottle of gatorade). There are water fountains every mile or 2 along the trail so some folks probably think they can get away with not carrying any water with them, not a smart thing to do in this weather imo.

7 foot greens are pretty aggressively humid down here...

agreed, the corn tunnels are fun. mix it in with some hills. good times.

Get off my porch

kilkee

runktrun

90 + 73 in PA.  Going out around 5:00.  Hazy cloud cover.  Not sure if this will help, or confuse my poor body even more...but I don't want to swim...

Back to full sun.

Not running for my health, but in spite of it.