HS freshman daughter wants to run cross country next fall (Read 324 times)

Chris Pinney

Her first meet is Thursday. All the things said about the kindness of the kids has proven to be true. Ran a good honest six miles the other day. 51 minutes about 12 minutes faster than her pr from this time last year. Wife and I were asked not to come to the first meet.

an amazing likeness

Ok, good know.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

mikeymike

Wife and I were asked not to come to the first meet.

Asked by whom? The coach? By a court magistrate? We need details.

Runners run

joescott

Wife and I were asked not to come to the first meet.

Ha.  You need to go anyway.  They put up a fuss, but deep down inside, as embarrassed as they put on, they want to know that mom and dad are for them.

Our current HS freshman is the worst of our three so far at that age about being embarrassed that his parents exist.  This motivates me to go even more out of my way to introduce myself to his new friends, other parents, teachers, etc.  I consider it a sport.  And in the long run, when all those people are mostly forgotten, I want him to look back and know that dad was there.

- Joe

We are fragile creatures on collision with our judgment day.

Ha.  You need to go anyway.  

And in the long run, when all those people are mostly forgotten, I want him to look back and know that dad was there.

This is sort of like your spouse saying, "don't get me anything for valentines day!"

They don't really mean it! You do it anyway!

kilkee

runktrun

Ha.  You need to go anyway.  They put up a fuss, but deep down inside, as embarrassed as they put on, they want to know that mom and dad are for them.

Absolutely.  I am 30.  I've run a half dozen USATF USA champs races.  I always tell my parents not to show up, but the unspoken arrangement is that they will come and watch if it's within driving distance, and "surprise" me after the race.

Not running for my health, but in spite of it.

Best Present Ever

This is sort of like your spouse saying, "don't get me anything for valentines day!"

They don't really mean it! You do it anyway!

When I say "don't get me anything for valentine's day" I REALLY REALLY mean it.  However, when my kids say "don't come" I ignore them.  Embarrassing children is one of the few pleasures of parenthood.

When I say "don't get me anything for valentine's day" I REALLY REALLY mean it.  However, when my kids say "don't come" I ignore them.  Embarrassing children is one of the few pleasures of parenthood.

what if it was a new pair of running shoes?

MrH

Our current HS freshman is the worst of our three so far at that age about being embarrassed that his parents exist.  This motivates me to go even more out of my way to introduce myself to his new friends, other parents, teachers, etc.  I consider it a sport.  And in the long run, when all those people are mostly forgotten, I want him to look back and know that dad was there.

Be sure to wear your full split running shorts for maximum embarassment.

The process is the goal.

Men heap together the mistakes of their lives, and create a monster they call Destiny.

Chris Pinney

Funny stuff. Meet is 4:30, I will go if work permits. Tonight is the girls xc sleepover. Wife said it looked like everyone showed up. Daughter is enjoying being part of a team.