New smartphone (Read 215 times)

helderar

Hi,

I am looking to buy my first smartphone.

I don't want to buy anything expensive but the fact that I run or ride my bike no matter the weather got me wondering if I need the Xperia Go or if any other android will cope with running and cycling.

I'll be using the phone to map my runs/rides, also.

Thank you!

I don't run with my phone, I use my Garmin watch for that.  However, if I did, I would not purchase a waterproof phone.  I would get a waterproof case (or zip lock bag) to put the phone in while I ran.  For Android, I would recommend the Samsung Galaxy S4 if you are buying for a subsidized price with a contract.  If you are buying the phone full price, it is hard to beat the value of the Google/LG Nexus 4.  I bought one of those for a travel phone and love it.

CT JEFF

I recently ran with my Samsung Galaxy Note 2- Yeah, its a beast, but Ive been doing it since November. Well, the rain didnt roll of the windbreaker quite enough and the phone got wet. Yay, I had the protection plan, I "only" have to pay $99 for it to be replaced. Since then, yes, even that big phone fits into a zip lock bag and yes I have ordered a waterproof case.

The commercials for the new Samsung 4 look pretty environment friendly. I am planning on buying a Garmin Watch. $100 instead of worrying about this again. Not perfect, but much smaller and I stopped listening to music on runs a month ago anyway.  - Hope this helps some-

RUN SAFE.     Barefoot 1st: 6/9/13. PR: 5k=22:50 10k=47:46 HM 1:51. FM 4:28 Oct 2015 joined RUN 169!

helderar

I'm really on a budget and trying to save on buying the smartphone only. I've been looking to Huawei y300 and alcatel one touch star. Then I started thinking if the water, dust and shock proof phone wouldn't last more. But these are more expensive and I don't know if I really need these features.

I don't listen to music while running or cycling, I run and cycle on the street and I like to pay attention to traffic.

Princess Cancer Pants

I would not purchase a waterproof phone.  I would get a waterproof case (or zip lock bag) to put the phone in while I ran.

For my next iPhone (likely this Fall/Winter...whenever the next version becomes available) I'm most likely going to invest in a Lifeproof case.  I've done the various ziplock solutions on top of my shock-protective case...and it's a PITA.  At least one person on RA has one of the Lifeproof cases and I regret not going that route at least a year ago.  At this point it's not worth the investment for a phone that's >1.5.

'17 Goals:

• Chemo

• Chemo-Radiation

• Surgery

• Return to kicking my own ass by 2018

She was not strong. She was valiant. Radiant. Brave and broken. The beauty she discovered in the aftermath was unparalleled to anything she had known before, because it had come at such a cost.

~ Unknown

I'm really on a budget and trying to save on buying the smartphone only. I've been looking to Huawei y300 and alcatel one touch star. Then I started thinking if the water, dust and shock proof phone wouldn't last more. But these are more expensive and I don't know if I really need these features.

I don't listen to music while running or cycling, I run and cycle on the street and I like to pay attention to traffic.

Read the reviews on the phones then and get the best you can for your budget.  The only experience I have with a budget Android phone was a Samsung Ace my employer bought me to use while I am travelling to Guam for work.  It had so little memory, that I could only run a few apps and I still kept missing text messages because it was out of memory.  I got so frustrated with it, I recently bought the Nexus 4 to use there out of my own pocket.

I don't use a case on my phones.  They feel too bulky that way and I am careful with them.  If you are prone to dropping it, you can get cases for well under $20.  If it is going to rain, leave the phone home or cover it with a ziplock bag.

Mysecondnewname

Hi,

I am looking to buy my first smartphone.

I don't want to buy anything expensive but the fact that I run or ride my bike no matter the weather got me wondering if I need the Xperia Go or if any other android will cope with running and cycling.

I'll be using the phone to map my runs/rides, also.

Thank you!

I was in the same boat.   The problem I found was that several of the newest smart phones were just too big for me to run with.   I ended up deciding that any phone I got would have to fit into a water resistant spibelt while encased in a tough case.

An iphone 5 with this case http://www.case-mate.com/iPhone-5-Olo-Cases/Case-Mate-iPhone-5-Tough-Xtreme-Cases.asp fit the bill nicely.

Rahul raj

*sings* Lovely Spam, wonderful Spam...
                  Rahul raj

Spam
                    Rahul raj

Dude...give it up, already.