P90x (Read 6266 times)

Imminent Catastrophe

Now that's food!

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Yes, I ignored this thread for a long time too but now it has far and away exceeded my expectations. I like swamp leakage.

i

Swamp leak has no point.

I'm sure this thread has one.  I think it is that latte is more or less virtuous than supplements.  And that space food is food cuz it says food right on the package.

Hey, nice marmot!

Corporations are like people in some respects, but in one respect, they are not. They have no choice with respect to their fundamental reason for living. They are legally forced to act in the maximum financial interests of their stockholders.

This is not exactly true.  Companies are not legally bound to to act in the maximum financial interests of their stockholders.  They often try to, in order to keep the stockholders happy and share prices up, but there's no law requiring this.

There are environmentally/socially/financially responsible companies out there.  Some stockholders are willing to accept smaller returns to invest in companies who's values map to theirs.  Money is to companies like food is to humans.  Companies must make some profit, or they'll die.  People must eat, or they'll die.  But just because you must eat doesn't mean that you have no choice in what you eat.  Companies must profit, but that doesn't mean they have no choice in the values/beliefs/morals they trade for that profit.

Companies are comprised of groups of people and those people make decisions which determine the company's actions.  Those decisions are no doubt influenced by market forces,  but they are not determined by them.

Ben

"The world is my country, science is my religion."-- Christiaan Huygens

space

"Mainly the moon, yes I said it the moon. Can't be distracted- whats going on with the war, whats wrong with the economy, stop worrying about that, I got that ... under control! Lets focus on space...the United States of Space, cuz I aint stoppin at the moon, write this down...M-A-R-S, Mars bitches! Thats where we are going, Mars, Red Rocks!" - Yay yaee!"

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

Swamp leak has no point.

I'm sure this thread has one.  I think it is that latte is more or less virtuous than supplements.  And that space food is food cuz it says food right on the package.

Seems there are many many points being made in this thread. I lost count. At what point does a thread have so many points that it becomes pointless?

Imminent Catastrophe

This is not exactly true.  Companies are not legally bound to to act in the maximum financial interests of their stockholders.  They often try to, in order to keep the stockholders happy and share prices up, but there's no law requiring this.

No law, but they can be sued. That's a powerful incentive.

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

Hey, nice marmot!

True, but I think you're talking about cases of negligence, fraud, etc.   I'm talking about companies publically adopting a set of standards (that could result in lower profits) and being upfront with investors. 

If a company puts in its mission statement "due to concerns for the environment, we only practice sustainable blah blah..." and realizes smaller profits than its competitors, I don't think an angry investor would have much of a case.  Now, a CFO skimming off profits to pay for a yacht, that's another story.

Ben

"The world is my country, science is my religion."-- Christiaan Huygens

Why is it sideways?

That's right. They can be sued because it's the law.

L Train

I think I have to side with the hippie (Ben) here.  Corporations and their directors are bound by the measures of "loyalty" and "care".  Profit can be one measure, but there are others.  Essentially they are bound to do what is in the "best interest" of the corporation, which may or may not be defined as profit.  Unfortunately, it's a pretty gray area.  But it's not as black and white as Jeff is making it appear.

Imminent Catastrophe

True, but I think you're talking about cases of negligence, fraud, etc.   I'm talking about companies publically adopting a set of standards (that could result in lower profits) and being upfront with investors. 

If a company puts in its mission statement "due to concerns for the environment, we only practice sustainable blah blah..." and realizes smaller profits than its competitors, I don't think an angry investor would have much of a case.  Now, a CFO skimming off profits to pay for a yacht, that's another story.

It's called breach of fiduciary responsibility (IIRC). Any behavior that results in lower returns for the stockholders can be subject to this.

Imminent Catastrophe

Swamp leak has no point.

Speaking of food, Michael Pollan is on The Daily Show, it repeats 1 and 7 Eastern. I think he's talking about Space Food Sticks.

i sacrificed the gift

I think I have to side with the hippie (Ben) here.  Corporations and their directors are bound by the measures of "loyalty" and "care".  Profit can be one measure, but there are others.  Essentially they are bound to do what is in the "best interest" of the corporation, which may or may not be defined as profit.  Unfortunately, it's a pretty gray area.  But it's not as black and white as Jeff is making it appear.

In every case, the best interest of the for-profit corporation is to maximize shareholders earnings in the long term.

To meet that goal, some "measures" (acting within the law, sacrificing profits to clean up a PR mess) are more important than short term profits.  But the reality is that everything a corporation does is driven strictly by interest #1.

Robot House Recovery Drink Protocol:
                          Under 70 Degrees: Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout
                          Over 70 Degrees: Dougfish Head 60 Minute IPA
                          L Train

It's called breach of fiduciary responsibility (IIRC). Any behavior that results in lower returns for the stockholders can be subject to this.

But a reason this is subjective is because it's difficult to measure actual against potential returns, and it can always be argued about the timeframe you are measuring.  The buggywhip makers surely would have remained more profitable in the short run if they continued to make buggywhips.  Look where that got Polaroid. 

L Train

In every case, the best interest of the for-profit corporation is to maximize shareholders earnings in the long term.

Maybe there's legal precedent here, but I don't agree with this.  I think it would be a balance between short term and long term profitability.   Otherwise there would be no long term. 

i sacrificed the gift

But stock value is based on long run.  The value of a stock is the net present value of it's expected future dividend stream in perpetuity.
                                Robot House Recovery Drink Protocol:
                                Under 70 Degrees: Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout
                                Over 70 Degrees: Dougfish Head 60 Minute IPA