Ahhh...the difference a simple insole can make! (Read 628 times)

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I *think* I have finally found the solution to my NB shoes without enough arch support, but which otherwise fit my wide, fat feet perfectly--Sof Sole "Arch" insoles. They're actually designed more for people with high arches, but what I deal with is a pretty normal arch (when not bearing weight) that flattens a LOT with each step and led to tendonitis in both feet from all the repetitive motion, but mostly on my outer right foot. Eventually I figured out that it was the relative lack of arch support in my NB shoes that was the problem and switched to a pair of Asics Kayanos--which have great arch support, but I don't like the overall fit of those nearly as much as any of the NB models I have owned. I had tried some OTC orthotics that gave me good arch support, but were WAY too stiff and stabilizing--I already wear stability shoes that work well to control my pronation, so I don't really need more stability. Tonite I ran in my NB 767s with only ~100 miles on them and the Sof Soles. Now the support and cushioning given by the insoles feels a lot like that of the Kayanos, but with the more generous fit of a NB. Awesome! So nice to have a workable solution to "custom fit" my preferred shoes. Big grin k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

For all the work NB puts into making varying width shoes, it would be nice to see them have a variety of arch supports built in or at least NB specific insoles. I have Specialized biking shoes and they offer insoles that fit just like the stock insoles but with different support. Seems to me like all the after market insoles don't quite sit in the shoe like the ones that came with the shoe.
      zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

NB does make some aftermarket insoles that are nice, but the arch supporting ones I tried just didn't hit *my* arch in the right spot. You're right that NB is missing the boat on this one, though--just imagine if they had all the widths AND a variety of insoles...I think they would seriously start dominating the running shoe market. k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay