Race Day Gear help!! (Read 758 times)

It looks like the disposable top layer idea has been pretty well covered. My favorite way to carry Gu or anything else is with Race Ready shorts. They have a series of mesh pockets along the back that can hold quite a bit.
    Whoops, I forgot to mention that! Yes, race ready shorts are very easy, as are the key pockets or pullover pockets (as mentioned). Some other options: Tuck them into the elastic part of your head band or hat (I haven't had much luck with this but ran with a woman that used to do it) Tuck them into the waistband of your shorts (they went down into my short's liner which was less than pleasant, which led to one falling out through the leg hole and the rest...) Carry them in your hands. If you carry a water bottle with a strap or a camelbak, you can use the pockets on those. You can pin them with safety pins to your shorts or singlet. There are a lot of options.

Run to Win
    25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

Maniac

Does Anyone get the "maybe I'm not ready for this" sydrome before race day? I know I'm allright, trained well...got up to 12.5 miles. But still....anyone know what I'm talking about? I'm sure its just because its my first. Confused/quote> It's not necessarily b/c it's your first, but that is a contributing factor I'm sure. Most folks get that feeling right before the race...I think they are sometimes called "taper jitters"....RW did a good article on them a few months back. Anyway...If you ran 12.5, you're going to do fine. Better than fine, I'm sure. I have a race that same day...Mine is in Phoenix, though. Best of luck!!

Marathon Maniac #6740

Goals for 2015:

Run 3 marathons (modified:  Run 2 marathons--Lost Dutchman 02/2015 and Whiskey Row 05/2015)

Run a 50-miler (Ran a 53.8 mile race 11/14/2015)

Run 1,500 miles (uhhh...how about 1,400?)

Stay healthy

What works best, is what works for you. Really, you have to try a bunch of different combinations at those temperatures to know for sure. Also, this might be a helpful starting point: http://www.runnersworld.com/cda/whattowear/0,,s6-240-325-330-0-0-0-0-0,00.html
          Well, Here's the Race Report! THANKS FOR ALL THE REPLIES!! It turned out to be a PERFECT day in Mobile for the First Light Marathon and Half-Marathon. Sunny and about 45 Degrees to start and the race finished about 55 Degrees. Definately a little chilly pre-race and to start. I decided to wear shorts, a Nike Dri-Fit T and I picked up a cheap $6 Target Zip-Up Sweatshirt that I wore to start, and some C9 Running Gloves. I wore the Zip up for Warm-Up and the 1.5 miles before I lost it. I just dumped it. It was easier that way and was great advice from those who reccommended it. The weather was ideal the rest of the race. I lost the gloves about Mile 9 and just stuffed them in my shorts. This was my first Half-Marathon and my only my 2nd timed race ever. I ran a 10k in November and was pleased with my time. I trained pretty hard for this one and had a goal of under 2 hours. I really wanted to get 1:57:00 and beat a buddy of mine's time. I was definately nervous and had doubts all this week. When the race started, I felt great. I started at what felt like a good, slow pace and had a goal of sticking close to 9 minute miles. My first mile came in a 9:09 which I was please with as I zig-zagged a bit getting through people at the start. My buddy was running the full marathon and the the course stuck together for the first 7 miles before he split off and we stayed together until then. I ran miles 2-6 pretty fast and still felt good. I knew I had a chance of my 1:57:00 goal. I took a GU pack at mile 5 and another at mile 11. I think this worked great and they really gave me a boost. When I split off from my buddy and began running by myself, I really dialed in and focused. To be honest, those back miles were kinda a blur. I continued to run sub-9 splits until mile 10 and began to slow a bit. I saw some friends of mine who were on Bike Patrol about then and they stuck with me for a bit and relly gave me some motivation. I turned it on the last 1.1 miles big time and finished very strong. I was stoked to cross the finish line at 1:54:30!!!!! WAHOO!!! That was good for 142nd overall in the half and 8th in my age group (M 24-27). I'm hurting a bit, but I am very pleased for my first half time. I never thought I could beat 1:55:00. This will definatley be the first of many! Thanks again to all for the advice and support!! My splits are as follows: Mile 1: 9:09 Mile 2: 8:28 Mile 3: 8:34 Mile 4 : 8:53 Mile 5: 8:45 Mile 6: 8:40 Mile 7: 8 37 Mile 8: 8:40 Mile 9: 8:40 Mile 10: 8:39 Mile 11: 9:07 Mile 12: 8:44 Mile 13 plus .1 : 8:57 AVG: 8:45 Time Overall 1:54:30 Big grin --Nate
            Great job on your first half, Nate. You did fantastic!

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?