Donating blood (Read 1797 times)

So I donated blood for the first time ever on Monday afternoon. They took about 500ml, and I gave myself Tuesday off to recover (and also so I could work on our renovations!). Went running today, started out intending to do 10km...then 6.5km..then had to turn round and head home with only 5.5km under the belt. Felt leg-heavy, HR was thru the roof etc etc. Trying to figure out if this was a one off or if this is normal? Anyone else donated blood & had it affect their running?
    C-R

I've been donating regularly for over 20 years now and it seems for me that I get closer to normal after about the fourth day. I usually take the donation day off and get back on the road/schedule the next day. I run these really slow and make sure I stay hydrated. Giving blood depletes both fluids and oxygen carrying red blood cells so the "heavy legs" is normal. Slowing down and using these runs for my base or recovery has served me well. Thanks for donating - not everyone can and its a good thing to do for those in need.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
      "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

I donated in early June and felt it affected me for at least a week, even without a particularly ambitious schedule. Sometimes I need an excuse to take it a little easier-blood donation makes a great excuse and is much appreciated!

I donated not too long ago and took the day off afterwards, but honestly, I felt fine and didn't feel at all limited or like I needed recovery time. I just kinda gave it to myself as a matter of course. Perhaps if I had tried running I would have been tired or not felt so well, but I didn't run so I don't know if I would have or not. As is, I didn't.

Run to Win
          25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

I used to donate regularly and feel bad for not doing it. Any nutritional advice that will help speed the recovery process? Gatorade? Cliff Bars? Nachos and Beer? Wink TC

"I'd rather die while I'm living than live while I'm dead..." J. Buffett There are two rules in life: 1.) Don't sweat the small stuff 2.) It's ALL small stuff

I donated blood a couple of weeks ago and my running has definitely taken a hit. It took me a full week until running felt easy again, but injuries (minor) crept in and I'm still working my way back to pre donation fitness. I'll donate again, but prepare better for it so recovery will be quicker.
              Mr R

When I was in high school, the second leg of my 4x800 meter team donated blood in the middle of the season. This may have been an extreme case, but he never came within 5 seconds of his PR after that. My coach flipped out and made a new rule that blood donation could only happen during June and July, after the state meet. I've always felt a bit guilty about not giving blood, but I don't want to undermine my training. I figure that I'll probably retire from really hardcore training by the time I'm 30, and I can make up for lost time after that by donating frequently.

What was the secret, they wanted to know; in a thousand different ways they wanted to know The Secret. And not one of them was prepared, truly prepared to believe that it had not so much to do with chemicals and zippy mental tricks as with that most unprofound and sometimes heart-rending process of removing, molecule by molecule, the very tough rubber that comprised the bottoms of his training shoes. The Trial of Miles, Miles of Trials. How could they be expected to understand that? -John Parker

sdewan

2010 Goofy Trainee

This topic seems to come up every couple of months, yet I've never seen a definitive answer on the subject. Some people claim they are fine later the same day, others say it takes a week or more to recover. I guess everyone has a different reaction. Personally, I've done long runs 3-4 days after donating blood and it definitely reduced my performance. Just allow yourself a little more time to complete your run, and plan for a longer recovery time.

Turn off your mind, relax, and float downstream...

running yogi

I used to donate regularly and feel bad for not doing it. Any nutritional advice that will help speed the recovery process? Gatorade? Cliff Bars? Nachos and Beer? Wink TC
                    homemade chicken curry and rice with a tomato and cucumber salad, washed down with beer or red wine always works for me.

ultramarathon/triathlete

According to my brother, who works in blood donating services (not sure what he does really) it should not affect you. I've donated a LOT and never felt any ill effects to my running. But that could just be me and good luck. If you're really light/frail, I could see how it might make you feel weak for a while. Just drink a lot of fluids and run a bit slower.

HTFU?  Why not!

USATF Coach

Empire Tri Club Coach
                      Gatorade Endurance Team

You should only donate if you have enough RBC to donate, I have a friend who has a very low blood count almost anemic, so I wouldn't recommend it, that said, if your on the high side, then its suppose to be good for you to lower it, pretty simple solution. I donate it every time possible because I am on the high side which is suppose to be good for long distance running, but too much iron can be bad for you is the prevailing wisdom.
                          I've given blood many times before & usually feel kind of tired the first few times I run afterwards. In May I did a double red donation for the first time. That really kicked my ass. They take double the amount of red blood cells. I didn't really think how it might affect running until afterwards. (The nurse who asked me if I was interested in a double red donation was really pretty). For the first two weeks afterwards I had no wind. It was like being a beginning runner again. I'm eligible to give blood again in August (twice the usual recovery time should have been a tipoff) & I'm on the fence if I go double red again. BTW, good for you Astrogirl. We all know somebody who's needed a blood transfusion. You done good.
                          C-R

FWIW - Donated on Tuesday (Tuesday run prior to donation) and ran a double on Wednesday. First one was short with some friends just getting started and second in the evening was more normal. Results for me = about 30 seconds per mile slower than usual with the same training HR (138 and below). Thursday and Friday runs were back to normal based on HR and pace.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                            "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Go Daddy

I know that this is a question for someone with a clinical background, but wouldn't taking extra Iron after donating boost the recovery time? When my youngest was having a bout with anemia and when I had my heart done, we needed to take iron supplements to get the counts up. Thank you everyone for giving blood. You never know when you will be on the receiving end so it is nice to "pay it forward". Big grin