Save resampled elevations? (Read 34 times)

bhearn

The elevation resample tool is great. But the new elevations don't seem to stick. Is there a way to make them permanent? In particular I want to export a gpx with the resampled elevations. But even if I export immediately after resampling, the original elevations are exported.

Sorry if this is a repeat... I can't get search to work.

bhearn

I knew there was some way to make them stick, I was just forgetting it. If you check "Replace GPS elevation measurements" when importing, they become permanent. So you can export and then import with this setting.

bhearn

... although, curiously, resample on import and resample once imported are not the same. The former seems to resample elevations for the recorded points; the latter resamples for points in between as well. In my particular case it makes a big difference; the data is from a SPOT recorder that only sampled every 5 minutes. Of course, I can't expect RA to add interpolated gpx points and then export them.

But I guess I am just talking to myself here anyway...

Bert-o

I lost my rama

Methinks bhearn wants to show more vertical miles than us mere mortals can run horizontal ones. 

3/17 - NYC Half

4/28 - Big Sur Marathon  DNS

6/29 - Forbidden Forest 30 Hour

8/29 - A Race for the Ages - will be given 47 hours

bhearn

I'm just trying to patch together a consistent gpx for Badwater. My Garmin died midway so I have to merge that with flaky SPOT tracker data. I need to examine it to make sure I'm clear on when I stopped and for how long. This race will take a while to debug.

an amazing likeness

Since the 'resample once imported' comes from the map, I'll wager it uses Google map API and returns Google elevation for the path traversed based on google's reference earth ovoid.

In this old quote block, Eric seems to confirm your 'resample on import' is replacing the elevation for each recorded trackpoint as it is imported...

Every file has hundreds or thousands of data points, and each point's elevation needs to be replaced. [...]

As I noted in my original post, I am in the process of copying the data back onto the primary file server.  I've copied 74% of the elevation data.  The remaining 26% will take about 5.5 hours.  Once the elevation data is copied back, the importer should plow through all the queued workouts within an hour, assuming the data center cannot resolve their performance issue before then.

mta: you're talking to yourself because you're an order of magnitude more knowledgeable about running and data science than the rest of us...

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

Bert-o

I lost my rama

I'm just trying to patch together a consistent gpx for Badwater. My Garmin died midway so I have to merge that with flaky SPOT tracker data. I need to examine it to make sure I'm clear on when I stopped and for how long. This race will take a while to debug.

Yes, I was following your progress.  There were multiple times when the GPS tracker didn't respond for over an hour.  Hope you can piece it all together.  That was one helluva race (pun intended).

3/17 - NYC Half

4/28 - Big Sur Marathon  DNS

6/29 - Forbidden Forest 30 Hour

8/29 - A Race for the Ages - will be given 47 hours