From Garmin to RA only using Linux (Read 80 times)

As a Linux user with an old Garmin Forerunner 305 it isn't possible to UPLOAD from your device without some trickery: Garmintools will let you convert files into a format that can be imported into RA. But you have to go to terminal and run some nifty commands and write out the long filenames by hand.

You can also give up on Linux and use Windows of course. Or buy a newer watch...

On some newer Garmin models you can access the activity files directly from your file manager - and upload them manually. But not on the FR305.

I got tired of the manual file handling that and a Python script that does just what I need it to do in a simple manner, and using an easy-to-handle GUI. Using a few clicks I can now download files from my FR and make the .gpx files that are then easily imported into RA.

Everything is done using Linux. No Garmin Express or Windows Smile

Give me a shout and I'll send the files it to you. It seems I cannot attach it to this post:

garmin.desktop: A file that you place in /usr/share/applications.

garmin.py: The python script that you place wherever you want it.

garmin.png: The icon to make it look nice (shows a Garmin Forerunner 305).

Peder

Hoban-Jay

That's odd...I didn't have to do any of that to set up.

I setup my Garmin Connect account on my work/Windows computer.  Then RA handled everything else for me, whether I'm on Ubuntu or FreeBSD at home, or Windows at work.

I'm sorry, but according to Garmin you can't. I think you may be confusing uploading with synchronising.

Hoban-Jay

No.  I'm not making such confusions at all.  I've been using RA on my Ubuntu Linux computer for almost 5 years, uploading my runs on a nearly daily basis directly from my Garmin 210 (and 205 before that).

I'm not hard core, and I'm not a purist...I just know what works!

The Garmin 210 is a newer model. Files can be copied directly from the unit.

The Garmin 305 that I have won't allow that, and you're stuck with solutions like the one given here.