Alcohol (Read 783 times)

Cundy_15

How does alcohol affect a person's running?
    Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Alcohol when? The night before a run? During a run? As a chronic intake? After a run? What strength? In general and in moderation, it is a good carb but can dehydrate you. During a long run or a marathon, it can take your mind off the pain while providing energy. I have done well with mimosas and beer during 'thons, but never during one I was running for a time.
      zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

After the Grand Rapids Marathon they had beer and chili. I just did the half, but I hear that one of the later "fluid" stations on the marathon course had beer, too. There is NOTHING like beer and chili after a long race. Really hits the spot! Big grin k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

I knew a dude who specifically had someone wait at mile 23 of the CIM (Calif Int'l Marathon in Sacramento) every year with a can of slightly cold beer. He was usually running sub-3 hrs. In my youth (mid 20's), I once tried 3x1 mile on the track after 3x1 beer at the bar. My running was...affected. Big grin Otherwise, I don't mix running and alcohol b/c I've had 3 episodes of lone atrial fibrillation (a form of irregular heartbeat). Alcohol was never a culprit in those incidents (slamming ice-cold liquids during/after running was the cause), but I prefer to play it safe and not run until long after the booze gets out of my system. Cheers, Jeff

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

Best. Recovery. Meal. Ever. = a cold beer and a couple slices of Hawaiian pizza.
            2009: BQ?
              Best. Recovery. Meal. Ever. = a cold beer and a couple slices of Hawaiian pizza.
              That sounds yummy!

Michelle

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

That's a good meal, period. I don't need to be recovering to eat that! Smile

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

we used to celebrate the end of the cross country season by running a "beer mile" i was only a spectator, but it was quite an event.... 1 beer, 1 lap... x 4 laps (4 beers). The winner was equally likely to be a girl as a guy, and a lot depended on how quickly you could drink a beer. throwing up before the end of the race = elimination. ah, college.

Imminent Catastrophe

After the Mardi Gras Marathon they had cold beer and red beans & rice. MMmmmm!

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I'll have what she's having! Big grin k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

I'll have what she's having!
                        When Harry Met Sally references are always welcome here at RA.

Chris UK

How does alcohol affect a person's running?
                          If you can still run in a straight line go for it. Wink I don't drink very often but last night I was 'persuaded' to have 2 pints of beer, a rather large G & T and 2 Southern Comforts and I still managed a very comfortable 16 miles today. A week or so ago I did 22 miles with a beer stop at the halfway stage and no adverse effect. Very refreshing. Smile Perhaps best not to indulge whilst racing though. Black eye

3000 miles

Sub 19:00 for 5K  05-03-13 Clee Prom 5K - 19:00:66 that was bloody close!

Sub-40:00 for 10K 17-03-13 Gainsborough 10K - 39:43

Sub 88:00 for HM

When Harry Met Sally references are always welcome here at RA.
                            Big grin ALWAYS. Such a classic.

Michelle

Prophet!

Best. couple slices of Hawaiian pizza.
                              Whats on a Hawaiian pizza ? If its true 'Hawaiian' pizza then it should be fish and poi.
                                Whats on a Hawaiian pizza ? If its true 'Hawaiian' pizza then it should be fish and poi.
                                Tight lipped

Michelle