2020 Marathon Training and relevant COVID 19 discussion echo chamber (Read 700 times)

darkwave

Mother of Cats

We're starting to look at how to do small group workouts again too and it would be similar - you don't run with anyone outside of your small pace group etc.

Yeah, that's how my team is starting to structure long runs (we're not meeting for track workouts yet, since group workouts on the track are still prohibited).

My personal snag with the "don't run with anyone outside of your pace group" issue is that I really straddle two groups.  We structure our long runs as progressions - first 3rd easy, next 3rd moderate, next 3rd marathon.    But....my personal easy pace fits with one group, while my moderate and marathon paces fit with another.  So I can either run with one group for the first 3rd and solo the rest (which is my preference) or try to run with the second group but get either get dropped majorly in the first mile (when they all start off at 8:00 pace) or have an awful run because I didn't get a chance to ease in.  Before, wasn't so much of an issue because all the pace groups started together, and I could shift between them as I felt comfortable.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

Running Problem

Problem Child

Interesting. I haven't seen/heard anything from the usual Saturday group I run with sometimes. It's a small group of probably 15 or less and I'd imagine they could drop off instructions or tell people to print it themselves, skip all the 'announcements' and just head out for a run. I'd also expect people to just stand farther apart from people they haven't been running with for 18 weeks.

Pace groups sounds intersting. Hopefully it isn't a mix of "I'm trying to run my PR" mixed in with "I haven't been training for any races so I just want to see where I'm at." Nothing like starting out aiming for a sub 20 only to run a 20:30. Been there. Lost a bet to rlk over it.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

pepperjack

pie man

Never Summer is a go!

Not sure if I can even do 100k right now.

11:11 3,000 (recent)

Running Problem

Problem Child

Never Summer is a go!

Not sure if I can even do 100k right now.

You have a few days you can spend in the hills thinking about it.

*checks race website for race information*

BAIL! DNF! Average elevation of 10K+  13K elevation gain over 61 miles? for your own safety I urge you NOT to go to Colorado. Think of the consequences/extreme amount of discomfort/travel restrictions children.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

pepperjack

pie man

Last time I tried it I made it 40 miles in about 15 1/2 hours (estimated about 10,000 feet of gain as it's very front-loaded) before I ran up against the cutoff and dropped.  Honestly if I had a pacer somewhere around mile 35 I probably could have finished.  I also lived at elevation 75 feet at the time and now have been running around at 4-7,000 feet quite a bit more.  Not going to be happy until I finish the thing.

edit: my work has eased travel quarantine so it's not an automatic 14 days if I leave the Lake/Mendocino/Colusa/Glenn eden.

Running Problem

Problem Child

Last time I tried it I made it 40 miles in about 15 1/2 hours (estimated about 10,000 feet of gain as it's very front-loaded) before I ran up against the cutoff and dropped.  Honestly if I had a pacer somewhere around mile 35 I probably could have finished.  I also lived at elevation 75 feet at the time and now have been running around at 4-7,000 feet quite a bit more.  Not going to be happy until I finish the thing.

edit: my work has eased travel quarantine so it's not an automatic 14 days if I leave the Lake/Mendocino/Colusa/Glenn eden.

Services unavailable due to lack of serious training. I could maybe get you some PBR around that point when you enter. Cold enough to make the mountains turn blue.

VDOT 53.37 

pepperjack

pie man

Ya. Had a PBR at the aid station where I dropped.  Almost a little party atmosphere.

Running Problem

Problem Child

Ya. Had a PBR at the aid station where I dropped.  Almost a little party atmosphere.

Coors light. Because the mountains turn blue and that's when you know to drink it. Plus...it is Coors Light.

"hey grab me a PBR"

okay...three tall coors lights for pepperjack and a sugar free rockstar for my drive to Colorado.

VDOT 53.37 

pepperjack

pie man

Funny thing Gnar runners is out of Fort Collins.  They should be giving Odells, or at the very least New Belgium.

Running Problem

Problem Child

Funny thing Gnar runners is out of Fort Collins.  They should be giving Odells, or at the very least New Belgium.

Those are funny ways to spell Coors light.

VDOT 53.37 

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Wow.

Just when I thought you couldn't sink any lower.

Those are funny ways to spell Coors light.

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Wow.

True, everyone knows Budweiser is the king of beers.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

CalBears

Budweiser is a type of an american pee - the whole world knows that - I don’t know one person who is not an american and who would drink it - even if it’s free.

paces PRs - 5K - 5:48  /  10K - 6:05  /  HM - 6:14  /  FM - 6:26 per mile

Running Problem

Problem Child

Interesting spelling of Focal Banger.

edit: plus I’m mediocre so KING is reserved for 6:01/mi pace and faster.

VDOT 53.37 

Running Problem

Problem Child

Wow.

Yeah I’m sure at this point Coors Light is racist. It’s helped me through some marathon training though so i support its use in ultra marathons.

VDOT 53.37