NYC Marathon 2012 (Read 2541 times)

xhristopher

If you guys find another runner with the same goal I'd make sure you share the same philosophy on how to go about running that goal. ie. If they talk about "banking time" early be wary.
    Julia1971

If you guys find another runner with the same goal I'd make sure you share the same philosophy on how to go about running that goal. ie. If they talk about "banking time" early be wary.

I'll ask to see their running log on RA before I commit.  Wink 

Julia1971

I think I finally figured out the corral number: is it just the thousands number on your bib?  My bib is 6,XXX and I'm in Corral #6. (I was trying to figure out how they counted "green wave 1 corral six" from the picture of the corrals on the website)

Yes, I think that's right.  There aren't 5 corrals ahead of you.  You're the third corral for the green start.

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

Yes, I think that's right.  There aren't 5 corrals ahead of you.  You're the third corral for the green start.

Thanks for confirming, Julia.  Makes a lot more sense now.

When I ran the VA-Beach marathon, a bunch of us were chatting with the 3:25 pace guy asking for his plan.  He was distracted and kinda fumbling on how to answer the question so I put forward: "So, 6:15 for the first half to bank some time, right?" To which he quipped, "Yeah, and crawl the rest of the way."

BTW: does anyone know which mile markers on the NYCM course are clearly presented?  Since my garmin might be a bit unreliable because of the bottom-deck start, I was planning on writing some time/mile-marker goals on my arm that I can verify on the course.  (yes, taper time is approaching so it is now the season to start over-thinking this).

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

Another great thing about the NYC Marathon, there are timing mats every mile from mile 3 to the finish. And every 5k til the finish and at halfway too.  You'll get enough splits to analyze for ever.

Mile markers are very clear and distinguishable, though you need to be slightly wary you pick the right ones for  the start you are at. Though after 8, all courses come together.

The green course is slightly different at the start than the other two I believe. Actually they are all slightly different. I haven't done the Orange start yet (I will this year), but the uphill is smaller on the Green and the downhill is way longer on the Green, but mile 3 is slightly uphill while for blue mile 3 is flat.

Also your Garmin will not work on the Verrazano or 59th street bridge It will work, but be off.

http://www.ingnycmarathon.org/documents/NYCM-Profilepage10.pdf

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

Just in case you haven't seen it yet: http://vimeo.com/31313168

ultramarathon/triathlete

They've started putting up the grandstands along Tavern on the Green at the finish line.  

It's starting to become NYC Marathon time in Central Park!

I found some nice tools for people:

This one lets you input your expected finish time or expected pace.  It breaks it down to show what time you will arrive at each mile.

http://www.marathonguide.com/news/exclusives/NewYorkCityMarathon2011/NewYorkCityMarathonPaceCalculator.cfm

This one is the course map:

http://www.nycmarathon.org/documents/INGNYCM12_Course_Map_ForWeb.pdf

This one shows what time you will start, based on bib number:

http://www.nycmarathon.org/entrantinfo/corral_chart.htm

These will be helpful if you have friends, relatives or random people you've convinced should watch for you. 

Also, I watched that Fred Lebow movie (Run for Your Life) streaming on Netflix last night.  It was actually pretty cool and a great history of the NYCM.   I also rewatched Chariots of Fire (also streaming, Netflix).  I won't have that song out of my head for another few weeks but that's ok :-)

Good luck! 

HTFU?  Why not!

USATF Coach

Empire Tri Club Coach
                Gatorade Endurance Team

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

Okay, if this hurricane screws this up, I'm going to be really pissed.

jfa

Nah, Sandy will be long gone by Sunday  Scratch that.it"s time to panic.

Thanks for the links. I PRed my two tune up halfs.

Getting really psyched! Bring it on!

Okay, if this hurricane screws this up, I'm going to be really pissed.

you know, that's what sucks about marathons. You train, and train, and train, and taper, and then stuff happens outside of your control, and you only get a few cracks per year to nail it. Hopefully, the storm will have passed by then, and you'll be left with "the calm"

seanster

ME

Watching the forecast because we live right in the projected path.  Rain should be cleared by Thursday and current forecast for Sunday in NYC is 56/Partly Cloudy.   Don't know how this will effect people with flights, but city should be cleaned up by then.  Even blizzards only take a few days to clean up.

§ SIGNATURE§

Julia1971

Sandy's more of an issue for the Marine Corps Marathon.  It's still unclear (to me) when the rain and wind will start, although, it's seeming like the worst of it will be after the race.  The forecast for NYCM looks fabulous!  Let's hope it stays that way. 

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

Colder colder colder, please!  Low 50s, high 40Fs at least?!  Come on, this is Nov for goodness sake!

TJN

S Army Kettle run...

Watching the forecast because we live right in the projected path.  Rain should be cleared by Thursday and current forecast for Sunday in NYC is 56/Partly Cloudy.   Don't know how this will effect people with flights, but city should be cleaned up by then.  Even blizzards only take a few days to clean up.

Hopefully the wind / rain doesn't cause a lot of damage (i.e. flooding, downed power lines and trees etc.) that might cause issues

Tim 

seanster

ME

Hopefully the wind / rain doesn't cause a lot of damage (i.e. flooding, downed power lines and trees etc.) that might cause issues

Yeah, my biggest worry is for those who have to travel.  I am hoping my drive through Jersey isn't any worse than the nightmare it normally is.

§ SIGNATURE§