Completed first 10K (Read 400 times)

Hello all... I am fairly new to running @ 40 years old. My previous running experience was in increments of 90 feet (baseball). I started running about a year ago and after 2 months ran my first 5K (26:38) and a half marathon (2:41:31). I had a foot injury which sidelined me for almost 6 months and I got the OK from the doc about 6 weeks ago. I have been running between 2-1/2 and 3-1/2 miles, 4-5 days a week for the last 6 weeks. I ran my first 10K on Saturday with a time of 57:46, I was pleased with the time. I found that mile 6 was getting tough, although it was almost 85 degrees when the race started. My goal is to do 2 half marathons in the fall and I would like to be under 2:20:00 for both of them. Any suggestions for getting to that goal? Any advice from veteran runners would be much appreciated. Thanks Bob
    jeffdonahue

Congrats on the 10K race. Since you are just starting out, just getting out there and running will be your biggest advocate right now. It will make you more comfortable on the road and will make you faster. Dont worry about speedwork. Since you want to run two Half Marathons I would probably suggest adding a longer run to your routine once a week or so. Maybe start it at 4-5 miles and increase a mile a week. There is a world of difference between the 3.5 miles you are running and 13.1 miles. Best of luck Jeff
        Jeff, Thanks! Bob
        JakeKnight

Congrats on the 10K race. Since you are just starting out, just getting out there and running will be your biggest advocate right now. It will make you more comfortable on the road and will make you faster. Dont worry about speedwork. Since you want to run two Half Marathons I would probably suggest adding a longer run to your routine once a week or so. Maybe start it at 4-5 miles and increase a mile a week. There is a world of difference between the 3.5 miles you are running and 13.1 miles.
          What he said. Just run, baby. Great job on your 10-k - way to break an hour on your first try!

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
          -----------------------------

Since you are just starting out, just getting out there and running will be your biggest advocate right now. It will make you more comfortable on the road and will make you faster. Dont worry about speedwork.
            Couldn't agree more. Congrats on your first 10K!

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?