ultimate runner's test...... (Read 4097 times)

sport jester

Biomimeticist

Ok, so here’s my post: In doing a lot of research in running biomechanics, I’m truly puzzled by why nobody questions why they run the way they do. So to play this game, I’m posting the following to find out how you think about some basic questions that I asked myself. 70% of runners will injure themselves in any given year as well as female athletes are far more likely to tear their Anterior Cruciate Ligaments than male athletes are. Yet no “expert” can explain why. And to running, the reality is the domination of Kenyan and African athletes to the sport of distance running. Yet there are a lot of “experts” who can tell you why these runners are so great, but my reality is that none of the experts have ever trained a runner to beat them. To me, that’s like telling me you know the cure for cancer, yet have never cured anyone. So what do you really think you understand about running? And these are just the $100 Jeopardy questions… ================================================================ 1)Why are track events held counterclockwise in running? 2)How can you tell if someone is right or left handed by the way they walk? 3)Why do treadmills become expensive clothes hangers in six months after purchase? 4)Why does strength training actually slow an athlete down? 5)As every shoe company knows, the more money you spend on a pair of shoes, why is it true the slower you run and the more likely you are to injure yourself? 5)How do orthotic inserts promote injury? 6)Why is the phrase, “Likes to take walks on the beach” the most common line used in singles ads? 7)If injuries to athletes are “known,” then what mathematical formula defines the perfect runner? 8)If a 100 meter sprint is 100 meters, then how far does an elite athlete travel? How far do amateur athletes travel? Can you explain why every runner will physically travel further than the linear distance of a race? What measurements prove that fact? 9)As humans are naturally stronger on one side of their body than the other, then at peak running speed, if the strongest leg determines our quickest pace, how does the weaker leg keep up? 10)If a human swings their arms as we walk and run, commonly referred to as a counterbalance arm swing, then what’s so out of balance biomechanically that we need arm swing to counter it with? Wouldn’t the perfectly balanced runner not need to swing their arms at all? ========================================================================================== The above questions are all based upon what limits human speed, endurance, and agility in their most simple of biomechanic form. The $200 dollar questions are as follows ========================================================================================== 1)Why does the sports training environment preach core stability, when athletics demands optimum maneuverability? 2)How does core stability training slow down an athlete and promote injury? 3)What principle of balance defines optimum maneuverability? ========================================================================================== The above questions are really about strength training and how little is known about combining strength and speed in athletes. In the quest to becoming a better runner and having a better understanding of how we run, and what makes us vulnurable to injury, which is my primary goal.

Experts said the world is flat

Experts said that man would never fly

Experts said we'd never go to the moon

Name me one of those "experts"...

History never remembers the name of experts; just the innovators who had the guts to challenge and prove the "experts" wrong

1)Why does the sports training environment preach core stability, when athletics demands optimum maneuverability?
      Core stability doesn't limit maneuverability, it just helps the core stabilize the body when it is neccesary. Core training helps make the core more efficient and better able to handle and facitilitate movement, of which it is the source
      2)How does core stability training slow down an athlete and promote injury??
      Um, I wasn't aware that it did......
      1)Why are track events held counterclockwise in running?
      Not sure on this, I would guess their is some origin or story that started the tradition though.
      3)Why do treadmills become expensive clothes hangers in six months after purchase?
      Probably because people find them boring or just plain out lose their motivation to run, running involves some level of work/effort and many aren't willing to really put in that effort.
      4)Why does strength training actually slow an athlete down?
      Umm, depending on how you train it may or not slow you down. Yes, adding a bunch of muscle and getting jacked is going to slow you down - the reason should be obvious, gaining a bunch of mass is just mor weight to drag around. Som strength training at higher reps can have benefits because it can make you stronger and hav better muscle endurance without putting on bulk.
      5)As every shoe company knows, the more money you spend on a pair of shoes, why is it true the slower you run and the more likely you are to injure yourself?
      I have no idea what you're asking. Sounds like you're saying that spending more money on shoes will make you slower/more prone to injury Confused
      5)How do orthotic inserts promote injury?
      Who said they did? A proper orthotic should, in theory, help correct major gait problems and decrease risk of injury
      7)If injuries to athletes are “known,” then what mathematical formula defines the perfect runner?
      No idea what you're asking here
      If a 100 meter sprint is 100 meters, then how far does an elite athlete travel? How far do amateur athletes travel? Can you explain why every runner will physically travel further than the linear distance of a race? What measurements prove that fact?
      Huh, what does a hundred meter sprint have to do with the distance an elite athelte travels? Why would an amateur athlete travel farther than an elite, are we just assuming elites are better at running tangents? As far as a runner traveling further than the linear race distance that is because the runner obviously isn't going to run the tangents perfectly and won't "know" the perfect shortest distance
      9)As humans are naturally stronger on one side of their body than the other, then at peak running speed, if the strongest leg determines our quickest pace, how does the weaker leg keep up?
      Key world there is if, seems to me the strongest leg wouldn't determine the fastest pace, you have to look for the lowest common denominator which in this case would be the weaker leg - that ought to be what limits/controls max sprint speed
      10)If a human swings their arms as we walk and run, commonly referred to as a counterbalance arm swing, then what’s so out of balance biomechanically that we need arm swing to counter it with? Wouldn’t the perfectly balanced runner not need to swing their arms at all?
      I could be totally wrong but I would guess this is just a turn of phrase. We other guess would be that arm swing IS a part of the biomechanics of walking/running and eliminating it would be to actually change the biomechanics

They say golf is like life, but don't believe them. Golf is more complicated than that. "If I am still standing at the end of the race, hit me with a Board and knock me down, because that means I didn't run hard enough" If a lot of people gripped a knife and fork the way they do a golf club, they'd starve to death. "Don't fear moving slowly forward...fear standing still."

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Hefty?

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Why is it sideways?

What prize do we get if we answer them all correctly?

Hawt and sexy

A complete dissertation? Just a guess.

I'm touching your pants.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

~ Sarah Kay

xor

What prize do we get if we answer them all correctly?
                  Meat!

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Meat!
                    Shit, I gotta get to work. I want this: Turbaconucken A chicken inside a duck inside a turkey, all wrapped in bacon.

~ Sarah Kay

Shit, I gotta get to work. I want this: Turbaconucken A chicken inside a duck inside a turkey, all wrapped in bacon.
                      I'm in love...
                      zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I'm in love...
                        Can you imagine the gravy a person could make with the drippings from that?! *faints*

~ Sarah Kay

Imminent Catastrophe

OK, my reaction time is just too slow for this forum. Cannot keep up...

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

Can you imagine the gravy a person could make with the drippings from that?! *faints*
                            Defibrillator, stat! (I feel so doctory)
                            zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

OK, my reaction time is just too slow for this forum. Cannot keep up...
                              Apparently you do not want the meat enough.

~ Sarah Kay

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Defibrillator, stat! (I feel so doctory)
                                Screw that, just give me some statins before dinner.

~ Sarah Kay