Your mental state while on sideline (Read 221 times)

fitfatboy

More cowbell!

Hey all,

I've been on the sideline since before Christmas with a stress reaction (precursor to a stress fracture), and my doc has sidelined me until mid-February so that it doesn't develop into a stress fracture.  This is the first time that I've been injured in 10 years of running, and I wondering how y'all have dealt with it mentally when you've been injured.

STILL HAVING FUN!!!

fitfatboy

More cowbell!

I've surprised myself by being okay with the doc's orders, and have not gone bat-crap crazy in the process.   I guess being able to swim and bike have helped some, but I think it's taking the long-term view of what I want to enjoy from running and to have the ability to do it for years to come rather than living in the here and now.

STILL HAVING FUN!!!

L Train

That seems like a healthy approach.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I was sidelined entirely from 11/29-1/5.  Yeah, that was LONG.  I was in a long-arm cast and on orders to do NOTHING.  I read a lot and watched a lot of movies on Netflix and was happy when the weather was gross.  And I took advantage of that nearly 6 weeks to diet like a boss.  I believe I dropped about 13#s in that time.  Carrying a calorie deficit is easy-peasy when there is no risk of bonking miles from home.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

I guess I'm the cautionary tale.  When I'm sidelined, my self-discipline goes right out the window.  I get lazy, overeat, and gain weight.  It also messes up my sleep cycle, and I become a night owl.

I know I'm just making it harder on myself when I do start running again, but it seems like I need the regimen of actually running to avoid all my other bad habits.  Once I start running again, everything else fixes itself.

How To Run a Marathon: Step 1 - start running. There is no Step 2.

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

11/04/12 - present.

Yes, I am going crazy.  I don't really have any advice...just sympathy.

Running is dumb.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Yeah, my sympathy.  I'd go crazy with jealousy whenever I saw someone running.  Did a lot of swimming during that time.

I have the same jealousy issues and I tend to swear whenever I see a runner.

bluerun

Super B****

Cry.  A lot.

(I should have better coping mechanisms -- hell, I've sure had enough opportunity to practice -- but I don't.)

chasing the impossible

because i never shut up ... i blog

fitfatboy

More cowbell!

I was sidelined entirely from 11/29-1/5.  Yeah, that was LONG.  I was in a long-arm cast and on orders to do NOTHING.  I read a lot and watched a lot of movies on Netflix and was happy when the weather was gross.  And I took advantage of that nearly 6 weeks to diet like a boss.  I believe I dropped about 13#s in that time.  Carrying a calorie deficit is easy-peasy when there is no risk of bonking miles from home.

Kudos to you for being able to diet like a boss.  I grew up in a household where a pack of Swiss Cake Rolls and a can of Coke was the breakfast of champions. It's easier to carry a calorie deficit when you're not working out at "happy place" intensity.

STILL HAVING FUN!!!

delicate flower

I am now in week four of a four month (at least) injury layoff.  I'm just going to focus on doing everything I can to get myself healthy again, which means stretching, PT, and cross training once I get there.  I'm also a cyclist, which will certainly help bridge the gap between surgery and running.  My cycling has taken a back seat to running the last couple of years, so being unable to run this spring will mean a lot of time in the saddle.  I'm looking forward to seeing what happens to my cycling when I take the time and dedication I gave to running and apply it to cycling. 

So I guess what I am saying is, it helps to have other things to obsess about.  Big grin

<3

fitfatboy

More cowbell!

Berner: I hear ya.  What you described was why I started running to begin with.  That, and being called "deceptively fast" at a softball game.

Madison Mandy: You've got it, and a prayer or two if you don't mind.

LedLincoln and morrows: My shoulders are talkin something fierce at me from the swimming.  It's fun but its not running.  Swimming and cycling are just fun like flirting.

bluerun:  Genuinely sorry to hear.  I'll send up a prayer for you too if you don't mind.

STILL HAVING FUN!!!

It's primarily dominated by "GDMN I hate the stationary bike" and "Is there anythign more boring than riding the stationary bike", and "I wish we had warm weather so I could bike outside".

When I'm not riding the stationary bike I find my mindset is generally something like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HrWnfx8uRPw

I do tend to be motivated to train even harder, both rehab/physically, though I find that my desire and focus to control eating is reduced.

They say golf is like life, but don't believe them. Golf is more complicated than that. "If I am still standing at the end of the race, hit me with a Board and knock me down, because that means I didn't run hard enough" If a lot of people gripped a knife and fork the way they do a golf club, they'd starve to death. "Don't fear moving slowly forward...fear standing still."

MonkeyBunny

I was sidelined for about 3 months in the fall of 2011 with 2 herniated discs.  I think I would lose my shit if I got a stress reaction or fracture.

Lots of good advice here already.  Five Guys always works in a crisis.

It sounds like you're doing a good job of thinking for the long term versus doing something stupid.  Focus on what you CAN do and let go of what you can't do (temporarily).

Be very careful coming back.  I always use Galloway - run a minute, walk a minute and then work up from there.  You may have to run a mile walk 1-2 minutes to rebuild stamina.  And don't run on consecutive days at the beginning.

Houston Marathon 1-13-13

Rock n Roll St. Pete Half 2-10-13

Gasparilla 15K 2-23-13

Armadillo 10K 3-9-13

Ogden Marathon 5-18-13

Steamtown?

Baystate?

The Goal:  Boston Marathon 4-20-15

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Alcohol.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.