Numb toes? (Read 886 times)

Finished!

So...every now and again, I notice that my outer toes will go a little numb - not asleep, but definitely numb. They don't become painful afterwards, and they seem to perk back up just fine. Unfortunately, this is just a minor observation - I don't recall (I need to get better about taking note of these things and recording them!) when it occurs - other than on occasion during runs - I can't tell you how far into the run it starts, or whether it is limited to treadmill or outdoor running or neither.... I went thru all kinds ot loops to get into a pair of running shoes that work for me (oy what a saga), so I really hope it isn't the shoes. Any ideas? The numbness is not accompanied by any other pain or discomfort elsewhere (that I have noticed)
    Walk + Jog = wog.
    I'm trying to Lose 5% at a time
    I support Heifer International - join me by donating via my registry
    Wingz

Professional Noob

There's a thread around here somewhere that dealt with this same issue, but I can't find it... The simplest solution to your problem MAY be just that your shoes are laced too tightly. Give it a try! I don't remember the rest of the ideas people had... anyone know where that missing thread is? (Man, I can't wait until Eric gets that "tread-search" feature up and running!...)

Roads were made for journeys...

JakeKnight

Here's that thread: http://runningahead.com/frm_topic.aspx?id=19d96baa666649288b4a1891154ec50f Now how do *I* get a numb toe? That sounds awesome. If you've got pointers, let me know. Apparently it's harder to get those cortisone injections than I thought - so you're numb toe idea sounds great. To be semi-serious - and to ask the same thing i asked that other poster - what kind of socks are you wearing? (and yeah - be careful you ain't tying your shoes too tight!)

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
        -----------------------------

Wingz

Professional Noob

There was another one, much longer, that I'm thinking of. It's really fuzzy right now, though... must have been a while ago. Or maybe I'm getting it confused with that "black toenails" threads...

Roads were made for journeys...

Finished!

To be semi-serious - and to ask the same thing i asked that other poster - what kind of socks are you wearing? (and yeah - be careful you ain't tying your shoes too tight!)
            Hmm. I'l check the shoe lacing - I dont think I lace em too tightly. As for socks, I wear a variety of them with no favorite brand... all considered "technical" socks I suppose. I'll have to check and see if I notice the numbness with a particular pair.
            Walk + Jog = wog.
            I'm trying to Lose 5% at a time
            I support Heifer International - join me by donating via my registry
            JakeKnight

Hmm. I'l check the shoe lacing - I dont think I lace em too tightly. As for socks, I wear a variety of them with no favorite brand... all considered "technical" socks I suppose. I'll have to check and see if I notice the numbness with a particular pair.
              FYI, nothing - and I mean nothing - made as a big of an impact on running for me as investing in my first pair of two-ply technical socks. I used to get numb toes, numb feet, blisters. With good running socks, it all vanished instantly. I prefer Wright Socks (or is that one word - Wingz?). I literally can't run without them. They're pricey, like $8-$10 a pair, but I'd run in basketball shoes before I'd run in regular athletic socks now. Give it a try.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
              -----------------------------

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I prefer Wright Socks (or is that one word - Wingz?). I literally can't run without them. They're pricey, like $8-$10 a pair, but I'd run in basketball shoes before I'd run in regular athletic socks now. Give it a try.
                Do a Froogle search, too...I found a good deal on a 3 pack of those not long ago (through Roadrunner Sports, I believe)...I think they were maybe $20 for the pack. They are nice socks (though I think I prefer the Smartwools). k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay