Banning from a User Group (Read 320 times)

AutBatgirl

Question: Do we have any additional methods to ban someone from a User Group than just the "kick/ban" option under their member name? We have a person that is constantly harassing our members and has been told not to come back, but she does multiple times a day using the same name.

What more permanent solution can I try?  Thanks!

No act of kindness, however small, is ever wasted.

ultramarathon/triathlete

Now I'm intrigued... what's the group :-)

HTFU?  Why not!

USATF Coach

Empire Tri Club Coach
      Gatorade Endurance Team

an amazing likeness

Set the Group to Public Restricted which forces a password to re-join after you've implemented the Kick out of the the member.

This will require anyone wanted to join to ask for the password, which may not be your desire -- but as an interim measure it will give you breathing room to deal with whatever issue there may be between the group and the individual.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

DaBurger

In the interim, you can kick the person, then lock the group so that accounts need admin approval to join

Know thyself.

an amazing likeness

Now I'm intrigued... what's the group :-)

Probably "Letters and Opinions".

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

eric :)

Hi BatgirlSR,

Kick and ban are mutually exclusive.  Think of it this way, the person has to be in your group in order for him to be banned.  If you kick the person, he is no longer in the group and therefore cannot be banned.  I need to update the controls so that kick is disabled if a person is banned.  After you banned the person, don't kick him out, because that will remove the ban.

eric Smile

AutBatgirl

Ah - that may be the problem, eric. I think we all hit the kick and ban at the same time, which may be opening the door to let her back in. Of course, she's using about 100 different names as well, so it won't keep her out permanently, but may make it harder for her to think up new names.

Thanks!

AutBatgirl

And thanks for the other suggestions. I don't really want to put a password on the Group, since we do like having new people join (despite what you might have heard!).

If this person is truly a nuisance, and I think I know who you're talking about, I can probably ban her from the site completely if you provide me with a few of her screen names.

eric Smile

AutBatgirl

If this person is truly a nuisance, and I think I know who you're talking about, I can probably ban her from the site completely if you provide me with a few of her screen names.

eric Smile

She truly is. I made the mistake of trying to be nice to her, so I really brought this on myself. Smile

preciousJohn

Isn't this why u guys left runnersworld and come here?

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

eric Smile

You take such good care of this community, Eric. Much appreciated! Smile

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

BIS

High Horse

Thank you eric. Is there any way to build in an admin control to not only censor a thread but also delete it completely? I think our particular troll enjoys junking up our board.

Thanks again!

I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member ~ Groucho Marx.

Thank you eric. Is there any way to build in an admin control to not only censor a thread but also delete it completely? I think our particular troll enjoys junking up our board.

Thanks again!

I've deployed a new filter that should prevent this user from accessing the group.  We'll see how well it works.

BIS

High Horse

I've deployed a new filter that should prevent this user from accessing the group.  We'll see how well it works.

Cool. Thanks Eric Smile

I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member ~ Groucho Marx.