Does anyone know of any legitimate ab workout plans for runners?? (Read 125 times)

aliceinrunland

Hello all! I'm a beginner runner who's also looking for a long term workout plan for abs. Any time I look online for ab workouts for women, all I get are 30 day/8 weeks plans, and I know abs usually take a year or more to even show! So, I want something that's long term (a yearlong plan, for example) and legitimate. For background also currently do cardio, of course, (I run at least 5 times a week, a mile each time so far). Does anyone know of any ab workouts that have actually merited results for them??? Anything would help me really, even if you've just got advice!

bhearn

Ab workouts, at least in terms of something that will "show", are aimed at developing the rectus abdominis. This is a fast-twitch muscle, mostly useful for sitting up. It's not especially used in distance running.

More generally you can think about core exercises, which will strengthen a variety of core muscles that ARE very useful for runners (especially ultrarunners, not at present relevant for you), and can incidentally result in some definition, if your abdominal fat is low. A good place to start is with planks, or plank variations.

If what you want is a six-pack, look to lots and lots of crunches. But this won't help your running.

If what you want is abs that show (ie, a 6-pack), I think the main requirement is losing fat, not necessarily building up abdominal muscles. In my own experience, when I'm at my leanest weight (which usually corresponds to highest mileage) is when I see the most ab definition. Doing a lot of ab work is maybe another way to get there but ultimately I think it just comes down to having less fat concealing those muscles. The muscles are there for all of us, just buried under varying levels of fat.  Anyway, if you keep at the running and build up your mileage, the fat will come off and you should see more definition. So my advice for a long term ab workout is lots of running! 

2:52:16 (2018)

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

If you want defined abs, it can't just be the workouts. You are going to have to work out the kitchen part as well. You can't be eating junk if you are looking to become lean.

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

This guy is an absolute muppet who made me laugh a few years ago when he appeared on a reality show...he had cosmetic surgery because he wanted a 6 pack without doing any exercise or changing his diet!  (you can see that he’s still fat)

Totally agree with JTReeves...get the weight off and focus on your diet which is just as important as all those crunches/planks. 👍

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

Luciplay

This is an interesting thread to read, thank you for sharing.

Tar Heel Mom

kween

This guy is an absolute muppet who made me laugh a few years ago when he appeared on a reality show...he had cosmetic surgery because he wanted a 6 pack without doing any exercise or changing his diet!  (you can see that he’s still fat)

Totally agree with JTReeves...get the weight off and focus on your diet which is just as important as all those crunches/planks. 👍

I think you could get that look with make up.

Nolite te bastardes carborundum.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

I think you could get that look with make up.

It's been done.

JeanParcks

Yes, many trainers and sports professionals develop training plans for runners that include exercises to strengthen the abs. A strong press helps to maintain the correct body position during running, improves stability and reduces the risk of injuries. I didn't have time to train before because of my studies. I started using essaypro.com/lab-report-writing-service for my studies and I had more time for training